Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2014, 05:27   #61

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Choosing Map Orientation on Chartplotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
This site really needs a sarcasm emoticon…

Mark
That would cover 80% of the site. It would be less cluttered to have a non-sarcasm emoticon
Old 23-11-2014, 05:31   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Ok I'll try...

Imagine you are in heavy fog, Zero visibility approaching San Diego channel
using radar and your plotter

Over the radio you hear an urgent message obviously directed at you:

“Vessel bearing 220 degrees True from XX fixed marker at a range of 0.4nm, steering 030 degrees at 5.2 knots…. this is American Naval ship approaching your stern at speed 29 knots on urgent business.

Please immediately change course to 120 degrees to avoid severe wash and you must turn back onto a reciprocal course once we pass you in 2 minutes and remain safely outside harbor until further notice"

How well does that work for you in course up and radar ranges when you are blind piloting in a developing emergency situation where soon there may be many craft around you from all different cardinal points ?
Its stuff like this that makes me proud not to be American. The funny thing is I think the US Navy actually behaves like this.
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 05:33   #63

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:

Mark

Ah. Got it.

-Chris
Old 23-11-2014, 13:15   #64
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Its stuff like this that makes me proud not to be American. The funny thing is I think the US Navy actually behaves like this.
Yeah.....they are a "take charge" kinda bunch.....
Just ask Captain Philips ....
..... (Best sarcastic Emoticon I can find)
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 13:32   #65

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Quote:
Speak for yourself - I'm very sensitive to this issue. Every time a professional mariner hails me on the VHF (using all sorts of fixed position, heading and bearing descriptors to describe me) and demands to know how I have my plotter set, I tell him N up regardless to save myself the shame of seeming less than professional in his eyes.

Mark
haha!
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 13:32   #66

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:

Mark
I think it needs a "you are full of it" emoticon.
Old 30-05-2015, 03:08   #67
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Ok I'll try...

Imagine you are in heavy fog, Zero visibility approaching San Diego channel
using radar and your plotter

Over the radio you hear an urgent message obviously directed at you:

“Vessel bearing 220 degrees True from XX fixed marker at a range of 0.4nm, steering 030 degrees at 5.2 knots…. this is American Naval ship approaching your stern at speed 29 knots on urgent business.

Please immediately change course to 120 degrees to avoid severe wash and you must turn back onto a reciprocal course once we pass you in 2 minutes and remain safely outside harbor until further notice"

How well does that work for you in course up and radar ranges when you are blind piloting in a developing emergency situation where soon there may be many craft around you from all different cardinal points ?
This happened to us about 10 years ago shortly after leaving the Suez and out into the Med. We were instructed to increase speed to at least 12 knots and go onto a course that put us dead into the weather. The 'order' came from a US helicopetr carrier and its support fleet. We were directed to comply immediately. I somehow managed to provide a polite reply to the youth that was giving the order........the fleet went around us but we did not see or hear anything in the pitch dark.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 05:45   #68

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
This happened to us about 10 years ago shortly after leaving the Suez and out into the Med. We were instructed to increase speed to at least 12 knots and go onto a course that put us dead into the weather. The 'order' came from a US helicopetr carrier and its support fleet. We were directed to comply immediately. I somehow managed to provide a polite reply to the youth that was giving the order........the fleet went around us but we did not see or hear anything in the pitch dark.
Haha.. kind of gives credibility to that old joke about the light house and aircraft carrier
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 15:34   #69
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Haha.. kind of gives credibility to that old joke about the light house and aircraft carrier
Yes. Sadly, all the witty retorts only came to me subsequently.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 17:09   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I was with a friend in his new 29ft Jaguar yacht going out of Fleetwood harbour in the marked channel. Ahead of us was a P&O large ferry making entry. The radio crackled and it was the local Coastguard calling to advise the entry of the vessel at position XXX XXX and as we were at XXX XXX it would be a close passing in the channel.

My friend looked at me and feeling the confidence of youth and a new certificate, made some dismissive response.

One minute later, the radio crackled again and this time it was the radio officer of the P&0 ferry in front of us. In the calmest Dublin lilt the man said:

"Jeeez, I couldnt understand a word of the posh lingo he used. So to make it easy for us all, we are less than a mile away and pushing a bow wave higher than your house. It will take 3 miles to stop so you work out the maths. If it was me in your boat and I drew less than three foot, Id be thinking about heading to your starboard as quick as possible and even think about putting on life jackets because its going to get rough for a little bit."

Pete moved.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 17:26   #71

Boat: Corbin 39 / 41.5 LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I was with a friend in his new 29ft Jaguar yacht going out of Fleetwood harbour in the marked channel. Ahead of us was a P&O large ferry making entry. The radio crackled and it was the local Coastguard calling to advise the entry of the vessel at position XXX XXX and as we were at XXX XXX it would be a close passing in the channel.

My friend looked at me and feeling the confidence of youth and a new certificate, made some dismissive response.

One minute later, the radio crackled again and this time it was the radio officer of the P&0 ferry in front of us. In the calmest Dublin lilt the man said:

"Jeeez, I couldnt understand a word of the posh lingo he used. So to make it easy for us all, we are less than a mile away and pushing a bow wave higher than your house. It will take 3 miles to stop so you work out the maths. If it was me in your boat and I drew less than three foot, Id be thinking about heading to your starboard as quick as possible and even think about putting on life jackets because its going to get rough for a little bit."

Pete moved.

Ha! 😅. That one made me laugh and choke on my wine...!
Thanks for the chuckle.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
chartplotter