Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2008, 01:24   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Chronometer Suggestions For Saloon

At the moment I'm thinking of a nice chronometer for the saloon bulkhead.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Other than that my Seiko Quartz S2 has served me well for over a quarter of a century.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 07:43   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
At the moment I'm thinking of a nice chronometer for the saloon bulkhead.
Anyone have any suggestions?......
No, but as I am looking for the same thing, I hope someone has a good suggestion. Most 'boat" clocks I have come across seem pretty average.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 08:11   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
In order to prevent thread creep in the watch thread I moved these to a new thread to discuss bulkhead mounted chronometers.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 11:25   #4

Boat: Privilege 37
Boat Chronometer is not a place to be thinking cheap - Whilst the actual digital movement may not be very different, the quality of the brass and the depth and quality of the laquer finish will be a significant factor in how long you are happy to leave it hanging on the bulkhead.

I had a FCC clock which I was very pleased with:

cant find a picture, but I paired this with their barometer: This one type, I had a porthole style.

Old 13-09-2008, 15:02   #5

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
I've been looking for a 12 voltDC digital LED clock. Something with one inch numbers. Any suggestions?
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 17:30   #6

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
I have a nice Weems and Plath pair ( clock and barometer) that I bought two boats ago. They have black faces with flags at the hour points. I had them replace the works in the clock after I left a battery in between boats but it keeps very good time. The pair are solid brass and probably cost ~$1000 when new about 15 years ago
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 17:34   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Are these clocks for decorations or for telling time? Its really not necessary to spend this much money if the purpose of the clock is to get an accurate time. The time on your GPS is pretty darn accurate...close enough for getting accurate longitude. If GPS does go down there are other clocks that will hold just as accurate time for a lot less money.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 17:41   #8

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Anotehr option

FWIW,

I know this is gonna make me out to be a cheepscake blowboater... (which I am BTW,)

I ordered a Weems & Plath clock and barometer set. They were the less expensive end of the spectrum but I was surprised when they came in at the poor quality. I could make the barometer needle move simply by turning the barometer slowly from side to side. The clock was less impressive as the movement was the same dime store movement with a prominent 'China' mold into it. It was non-adjustable so if it was off... you are outta luck. I did not buy it, and paid to send it back.

I looked at several in WM, and was surprised to find that just as Talbot said, if you do not pay for the really good ones you are getting a cheaper movement (some of the really nice looking W&P ones had the same cheap movement.

I found a 'temporary' clock that has continued to serve me well over 2 years later at... of all places... Staples Office Supply!

The Seth Thomas wall clock has a simple plastic enclosure, but (unlike the more expensive boat clocks) had a good rubber gasket that sealed the movement from humidity. It was advertised as an indoor / outdoor clock, and cost less then $20.

The movement is much nicer then the others I looked at. It also has an adjustment, which the others lacked. I have not had to adjust it, and in checking it against the GPS time it has been spot on for at least the length of time between being adjusted for DST.

I bought 2 of them, and have one hanging on the wall of my bedroom.

Don't see it on their web site right now, but did see this one that might be similar....

THey also have this one that might work for Roy.

s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 23:08   #9

Boat: CSY33
I'm presuming you are looking for a fine clock, not a pure chronometer for timing celestial sightings. I have a W&P "8 day" ships bell clock. It is heavy, with signifigant machinery inside. I bought it from a local clock repair shop where it had been left and never picked up. I lucked out at $200. A typical price for it, or similar level of quality would be a few to several hundred. "8 day" means that you wind it once a week, for it will do 7 days with no problem.You can find similar types of wind up ships bell clocks on eBay. If that is your path, suggest you buy one that has been rebuilt or serviced rather than going cheap. For cheap means it won't run well, or for long, and eventually you'll spend a bunch getting it serviced. You can buy ships bell clocks with quartz works, but for good quality you'll still pay at least a couple, more like a few hundred. For that much money, I like the windups. But it's an individual thing. Do you appreciate fine machinery? Or just want something that looks good at a glance?
Trekka is offline   Reply With Quote