Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2021, 16:07   #1
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac
Circumnavigation Charts

I would like to draft a detailed circumnavigation route on my laptop. IAW her website, Jeanne Socrates used Navionics Gold Cards with Raymarine chart plotters. Aside from her I don't ever recall any other circumnavigator mentioning what software they used. Can this be done without pasting regional areas together on a laptop? Any suggestions on how to proceed?

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 16:10   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Circumnavigation Charts

OpenCPN?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 10:46   #3
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
OpenCPN?
StuM: No, I'm using Coastal Explorer. They offer the C-MAP charts. I went through their listing and for the route I'm thinking about would run $1,840USD. I'm not quite sure if that would cover the complete route though...and what if I had to divert far off the route? I'm gonna have to search for more options. Voyage charts are something few think about initially and it looks like the price tag will be large.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 11:04   #4

Boat: Nonsuch 30

We used Gold charts on a Raymarine plotter. I think we needed either three or four charts. We did not plan the whole since things change over a period of years. You work around some key facts of life - main tropical storm seasons and when the nicest weather is to be expected in South Africa, or the changing monsoon seasons in the Indian. Also you hear about neat places to go along the way.
Old 08-10-2021, 11:28   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH View Post
I would like to draft a detailed circumnavigation route on my laptop. IAW her website, Jeanne Socrates used Navionics Gold Cards with Raymarine chart plotters. Aside from her I don't ever recall any other circumnavigator mentioning what software they used. Can this be done without pasting regional areas together on a laptop? Any suggestions on how to proceed?

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
you can create a portable easily edited full circumnavigation file in google earth (the app rather than the website). It would be usable for big picture planning but is missing the fine harbour navigation details.

We mostly used Navionics chips, and our plotter had a world base map that you could have planned a circumnavigation on without pasting, but we never did that because as someone said above . . . things develop and evolve.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts, circumnavigation, navigation