Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2020, 07:25   #121

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more
Re: Computer for navigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Well, I do tend to go overboard a bit a times then rethink things...
Yes, we might have noticed...

Quote:
Well, I do tend to go overboard a bit a times then rethink things, but I actually have more than I need right now as for as electrical/electronics onboard with two chart plotters, three GPS, AIS, 2 autopilots, 2 VHF fixed, 2 VHF handheld, and solar plus charts from Massachusetts to key west and the Bahamas the PO left onboard
More than you need, but maybe not the most suitable or convenient. That is two different things.

If it was me I think I would use your hardwired devices below deck to supply all the necessary data (which you can add to and play with over time), and have a toughbook under the dodger.

Effectively create an MFD, but without MFD price, and that can run OpenCPN, has a full keyboard, touchpad, and touchscreen (options!) and can do other stuff too.

Is it the most elegant solution that ever existed? Of course not (they cost big bucks). But is it value vs functionality? Yes I think very much so.

https://www.bobjohnson.com/toughbook...-u540-1-20ghz/

400 USD for what can become a 10in MFD on steriods.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 08:36   #122

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
Yes, we might have noticed...

More than you need, but maybe not the most suitable or convenient. That is two different things.

If it was me I think I would use your hardwired devices below deck to supply all the necessary data (which you can add to and play with over time), and have a toughbook under the dodger.

Effectively create an MFD, but without MFD price, and that can run OpenCPN, has a full keyboard, touchpad, and touchscreen (options!) and can do other stuff too.

Is it the most elegant solution that ever existed? Of course not (they cost big bucks). But is it value vs functionality? Yes I think very much so.

https://www.bobjohnson.com/toughbook...-u540-1-20ghz/

400 USD for what can become a 10in MFD on steriods.

Maybe in a few years.

To this point it's been visual or GPS, charts, and depth.

I have to cross a busy shipping channel everytime I take one of my weekend "cruises."

The AIS is going to be really helpful with that though because before I even leave the dock I can check traffic in the Shipping Channel. That channel is about 5 miles North of my Marina. The first one. The second one is less busy and the ships easier to see

In the past, I used my handheld compass to take a bearings on them to see if I could cross ahead....now I'll have their speed and CPA time on the AIS readout

GPS I can see on the VHF or possibly will lay a monitor under the dodger ......weather/seastate depending

I can always go below and check on things if necessary.

Either way it will be better than holding a blowing chart at 25 degree heel and checking GPS and depth sailing out of a creek North of here while trying to cut close around a shoal or flat when heading home on a Sunday morning instead of just sailing the channel markers

Many times there's a decent 12-16 knot SW wind still up in the early AM as I'm coming out of a West side creek and trying to head more SE - SSE back the 30-40 miles home so at times I push it a bit and take every short cut possible without bouncing off the bottom
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:00   #123
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Blues View Post
IMHO you were spot on to start. I have 3 old tough books for backup on different boats. Refurbished by Black Cobra out of Canada via eBay. Waterproof keypads - still prefer tactile response when typing-new gps and hard drives. Load oCPN and they are indestuctible.
One note they only allow the gps output to 1 program at a time, if you look at the satellites in Nav on startup you have to turn off before launching oCPN.
But then I'm a dinosaur, my kids run the world from Iphones.
Install GPSGate or similar to share your ports with as many apps as you like
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:02   #124
Moo

[QUOTE=thomm225;3086947]

Plus I think I have to have the Windows OS to connect to my Victron MPPT 75/15 Controller and to update it
QUOTE]

Use bluetooth. Add the dongle if it's not built-in on your MPPT.. Quite why anybody wants to stare at a solar charger is beyond me! But each to their own.
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 14:17   #125

[QUOTE=Moo;3087818]
Quote:

Plus I think I have to have the Windows OS to connect to my Victron MPPT 75/15 Controller and to update it
QUOTE]

Use bluetooth. Add the dongle if it's not built-in on your MPPT.. Quite why anybody wants to stare at a solar charger is beyond me! But each to their own.
Not to stare at just to check every now and then which is why I bought a $5.00 USB extender cable to reach the laptop in the cabin so I can see it when it's sunny ......from the Victron Cable

Plus it could assist in troubleshooting if there was a charging problem.....just another indicator as to how your systems are functioning.

We that know troubleshooting like every hint we can get......when a problem arises
Old 05-03-2020, 16:09   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
So I was thinking today I may be able to just mount either the 19" or 22" HDTV/Monitor I have under the dodger

It shouldn't be that hard actually and would be quite nice since it's so large........

Not really necessary, but if you have the technology onboard why not use it......

Example: this video looks much better on a 22" screen with my Raspberry that the 17" Windows Screen of my Laptop...... so there's no comparison to a little toughbook screen

I guess it's all about what you want out of your equipment.

Old 05-03-2020, 16:29   #127

Boat: Outremer 51

Sounds like some complicated solutions. We sailed around the world with a 9 inch B&G chart plotter and an IPad Pro with the Navionics app. I also use the Ovitalmap app on the IPad to have Bing and Google sat photos available to confirm the charts in places like the San Blas and Fiji where charts are sketchy. You can get an app like PDF expert to download all of your manuals on your iPad for quick reference. The iPad is an incredibly handy tool for $1,000.
Cayuse51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:34   #128

The charts are available for free online on OpenCPN.

All you need is an internet connection for a few minutes

To make a chart plotter get a Raspberry Pi computer ($40), a small GPS USB Puck usually around $15 and to download openplotter/OpenCPN then connect the GPS to OpenCPN with a few clicks of your mouser

Many people already have an old HDMI Monitor laying about so that can be used as your display

Keep the whole thing in the cabin and you are set

Chart plotter for around $55.00
Old 06-03-2020, 10:06   #129

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayuse51 View Post
Sounds like some complicated solutions. We sailed around the world with a 9 inch B&G chart plotter and an IPad Pro with the Navionics app. I also use the Ovitalmap app on the IPad to have Bing and Google sat photos available to confirm the charts in places like the San Blas and Fiji where charts are sketchy. You can get an app like PDF expert to download all of your manuals on your iPad for quick reference. The iPad is an incredibly handy tool for $1,000.
So is an android tablet that does all that plus has inbuilt GPS without the need of a sim card or data connection all for about 1 tenth of the price.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:55   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
So is an android tablet that does all that plus has inbuilt GPS without the need of a sim card or data connection all for about 1 tenth of the price.

The iPad doesn’t need a SIM card or data connection for the GPS to work. The GPS works great in the middle of the ocean. But having a Google Fi SIM card in your iPad allows you to have data and internet access in more than 200 countries seamlessly when you arrive in port. Very handy. I am sure you can do the same with your Android tablet.
Old 06-03-2020, 14:12   #131

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
The iPad doesn’t need a SIM card or data connection for the GPS to work. The GPS works great in the middle of the ocean. But having a Google Fi SIM card in your iPad allows you to have data and internet access in more than 200 countries seamlessly when you arrive in port. Very handy. I am sure you can do the same with your Android tablet.

I just discovered yesterday that I can put a SIM card in my Toughbook. Does that mean I can get "internet access in more than 200 countries seamlessly when you arrive in port"?. (I presume that means within about 30km (20 mile)of a repeater station)
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 14:32   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
I just discovered yesterday that I can put a SIM card in my Toughbook. Does that mean I can get "internet access in more than 200 countries seamlessly when you arrive in port"?. (I presume that means within about 30km (20 mile)of a repeater station)

An iPad is basically a large iPhone. With a SIM card, it works and connects like a phone so usually about 10 miles from shore I will start receiving emails and other updates. I am not familiar with a how a laptop would work with a SIM card.

I believe Google Fi service is only available to US residents with a US address. https://fi.google.com/about/international-rates/. It looks like you are in Australia so you would need to find a provider there.
Old 06-03-2020, 15:42   #133

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
An iPad is basically a large iPhone. With a SIM card, it works and connects like a phone so usually about 10 miles from shore I will start receiving emails and other updates. I am not familiar with a how a laptop would work with a SIM card.

I believe Google Fi service is only available to US residents with a US address. https://fi.google.com/about/international-rates/. It looks like you are in Australia so you would need to find a provider there.

Thanks for that. Yes we have several national WiFi services.

A quick google indicates that free WiFi is common in marina/yacht clubs.
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 16:07   #134

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:

$50-00 second hand refurbished HP laptop with 500 GB of memory,
I put a Telstra Dongle with Sim card in it, Plugs into the USB port,
Dedicated to my Free Open CPN for navigation, Back up for my GPS with C maps,
But also gives me the full internet, emails Etc,
I take it home with me and it runs my PC as well, I also use it in my RV where ever I go,

I bought it for the Kimberlys as only Telstra has a service up there,
Its line of site, Doesnt work over the horizon,
Same Reception as a cell phone,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wifi Dongle 001.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	420.4 KB
ID:	210175  
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 12:21   #135

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Obviously an issue at some stage, forced to buy the latest and greatest model iPad to get what android users have been enjoying on basic models for a decade or more.

Quote:

iPads are not built to work as GPS out the box like iPhones or Android GPS tablets. Apple’s Cellular iPads can track your location while you travel. Unfortunately, we cannot use this feature for our GPS map applications. Most of the time, iOS is using the cell tower location and other data connection networks to track iPad rather than using any dedicated built-in GPS unit

https://mashtips.com/convert-ipad-to-gps/

Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass, navigation