Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2018, 04:07   #76

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38
Re: Computer navigation and tablet advice for idiot please!

I use OpenCPN on a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7" 32GB Tablet with raster charts in the US and love it.

When taking friends or family out I find have more fun showing them what we are doing on a paper chart though. New sailors understand more when they see the big picture.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 04:09   #77

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

This directly from Samsung site for the Galaxy Tab A

Location Technology - GPS,Glonass

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 06:58   #78

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
I use OpenCPN on a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7" 32GB Tablet with raster charts in the US and love it.

When taking friends or family out I find have more fun showing them what we are doing on a paper chart though. New sailors understand more when they see the big picture.
Interesting that you mention paper! Personally speaking, I cannot plot a course using my electronic stuff although I do find it great for tracking my actual positions.

Old school I guess, I use a one piece plastic plotting tool recommended by the Power Squadron along with paper charts. Many of my charts are almost completely worn out but retain courses I plotted out over the years. They remain my ‘go to ‘ for navigation even though in most cases I have newer ones in my chart pile.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 07:39   #79

Boat: Tartan 3000

Using the Navionics HD app on Samsung galaxy S2 Tablet, WiFi only. GPS is built in. The local chart can be downloaded. A wifi connection is not required after the chart is downloaded.

Also using same app on galaxy S7 cell phone. Most of the time just use the phone underway.

Would be curious if anyone is sending radar directly to their tablet / phone.
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 09:34   #80

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Hard to read all the many posts in this thread. Time passes quickly, I think I am into my second year with my Ipad Pro. One of the many apps I downloaded after its purchase included Navionics as so many other have but there is another called Skipper. Now my original Skipper app is still loaded and shows more trip information that I do not find on my Navionics. In fact, I prefer using it over Navionics. The AWE SHUCKS is that my original app doesn’t seem to be available anymore.

I did find a new Skipper app which I have also downloaded......it doesn’t work at all. Too bad because the original was just superb IMHO. Now I don’t know the number of charts that the original offered access to but it has those that I need for our Massachusetts waters.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 18:47   #81

Boat: Pearson 323

I'm sure there are as many opinions as there are replies. I recently spend 6 months cruising the Bahamas and traveled the east coast from NC to FL and back. I used portable navigation equipment exclusively and spend about a year researching apps and device prior to leaving. This is what worked best for me.

1. I selected an IPAD as my nav/chart plotter. IPAD Air 2 was the best from the size and battery life perspective.
2. I put a charging station at the helm as a single charge will not last for a full day of travel.
3. I used 2 IPAD which was an absolute must. It allowed me to zoom into the center of the channel or special attention when approaching the shallows in the ICW and zoom out to find a place to drop the hook or fuel up at the same time. This is especially useful traveling inside. Traveling outside allowed me to have two different nav apps running.
4. Both IPADs were mounted on the binnacle using a movable RAM mount. These mounts were unbelievable sturdy, in rain I slid a 1 Gal zip lock bag over the screen. Worked extremely well, worst conditions were 20 - 25 knot winds with monsoonal sheets of rain. Never had a problem.
5. Most of the nav apps are adequate, what set them apart was the accuracy of the charts which varied from app to app based on location. The best app for the Bahamas was iSailor (based on the charts), I grew to completely trust the charts even in the extreme shallows. But iSailor was not the best for the US inland waters. For that I switched between Garmin and Navtronics.
6. When I left I had 5 nav apps in each of the IPADS. (Navtronics, iSailor, Nobeltec, Garmin, and InavX) Of all the apps the easiest to create routes and tracks was iSailor. InavX was the biggest disappointment, ultimately I never used it.
7. I had a Furuno First Watch Wifi Radar and found it invaluable under certain conditions; outside at night, approaching a shipping channel, during hard rain and thunderstorms, and as a warning of fast approaching boat from the stern while traveling the ICW. The WiFi radar only overlays the charts using Nobeltec nav app which uses NOAA charts. But it was extremely useful.
mjscottinnc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, navigation