Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2014, 04:31   #46
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Cost of Refitting Navigation Electronics

ebay is your friend.
find what you think you want and buy it there. mebbe you dont like the instrument and want a different brand--you not spending 5000 usd on the item so you have lee way .
everyone sez go for new--ha ha ha you can do just fine with older stuff,. it aint like the world has changed--just the technology. big deal.
if you have the basic stuff you seek on the boat, upgrading is not as difficult.
of course, in this day and age of keeping up with joneses electronically, you may want to go to overpriced chandlery and pick out your favorite color and background and size unit...
.rodlmffao.
no, they dont come in purple or pink...

isnt that why " everyone" is writing to forums to ask what others are using????
personally, i kinda prefer my garmin 498. nice n old, cheap , and has everything i need. even ais if i can figger out nmea stuffies.....
keep shopping...

oh yes---tell tales-- you all buy garbage bags with ties?? i use the ties, split in half, tied to shrouds. works great.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 04:31   #47
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I learnt with pieces of woolen yarn tied to the shrouds. (It was before compact cassette tapes )

Hell I have a newer boat (with electronics) and still don't have wind instruments on it and use the yarn on the stays, wind vane, wave height, boat heel and sail trim to determine the wind. I don't need no electronic wind instrument to tell if the wind is light or heavy.

I have a knotmeter, but got tired long ago of cleaning it so don't have it anymore.

The only instrument you really "need" (meaning it is definitely worth having enough to spend money on) is a depth gage.
Old 29-08-2014, 05:20   #48

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Hell I have a newer boat (with electronics) and still don't have wind instruments on it and use the yarn on the stays, wind vane, wave height, boat heel and sail trim to determine the wind. I don't need no electronic wind instrument to tell if the wind is light or heavy.

I have a knotmeter, but got tired long ago of cleaning it so don't have it anymore.

The only instrument you really "need" (meaning it is definitely worth having enough to spend money on) is a depth gage.

Yarn on the stays is exactly how I learned to sail. And doesn't the keel make an outstanding depth sounder? As in when you hear the sound of the keel hitting bottom you pretty much know your depth? ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 29-08-2014, 06:19   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTSmith View Post
Yarn on the stays is exactly how I learned to sail. And doesn't the keel make an outstanding depth sounder? As in when you hear the sound of the keel hitting bottom you pretty much know your depth? ;-)

Using the keel to measure depth is expensive and inaccurate.

Say you are zipping along south of Plover Key in Everglades National the boat is over about 10 degree as you glide along during high tide. By the time the keel hits the bottom along the poorly marked shoal, you are screwed.

Also the keel can be expensive to fix.

Even us cheapskates keep the depth gauge working

FWIW- Yarn is less effective when it is wet and there are times where there is no yarn.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 06:21   #50

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Using the keel to measure depth is expensive and inaccurate.

Say you are zipping along south of Plover Key in Everglades National the boat is over about 10 degree as you glide along during high tide. By the time the keel hits the bottom along the poorly marked shoal, you are screwed.

Also the keel can be expensive to fix.

Even us cheapskates keep the depth gauge working

FWIW- Yarn is less effective when it is wet and there are times where there is no yarn.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Hard to see how firmly my tongue was planted in my cheek on the internet.

Tags
electronics, navigation, refit