Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2012, 06:03   #1

Boat: 40' Leopard
Depth for Keys and Bahamas

I am considering a boat that has a 5'6" draft . How would this work in the keys and Bahamas ??
Also I have been trying to decide between a cat and mono hull 40' to 45' range
I have sailed on lakes for about 30 tears and bare boated in the Carib off St JOHN 'S . I was wondering about a good school to attend to hone my "Skills " if I have any . I watched some of the videos of boats doing crazy things and want to avoid those situations .
My boating experience has been with several 18' cats 3 sail boats around 24' and presently own a 28'. I have sailed a bare boated a 40'
Any input would greatly help
Thanks
rancher44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 06:14   #2

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: depth for keys and bahamas

I make Bahamas several times with my 6.6 draft, with carefull planing and caution you dont have problems, never touch the bottom in Bahamas , with a Cata the options to navigate shallow banks and found remote shallow anchorages increase, if the Keys and Bahamas are going to be your sailing areas goo for the Cata if draft is a worry for you, between 5 and 6 ft draft are fine for Bahamas , im not sure in the Keys, Bahamas are awesome, enjoy!!!
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 06:27   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Depth for Keys and Bahamas

I think the 5'6" draft could suit you well in the Bahamas and the Keys. It's easy enough to look at the charts and see what areas would be unavailable to you. Everyone, regardless of their draft, has limitations and they tend to approach these. With the 5'6" draft most of the "bayside" of the Keys would be unavailble, but then most of this area is not possible with a 5' draft either.
Old 26-12-2012, 07:46   #4

Boat: temporarily boatless...
Re: Depth for Keys and Bahamas

I sail these areas frequently, and I would that 5-1/2' is the practical upper limit, ESPECIALLY in the Keys (not so much in the Bahamas), for passaging many of the channels without waiting for a dead high tide. I have 4'11", and I still have to avoid the low at most locations other than the major ones (Govt Cut, Biscayne Channel, etc). pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, depth, bahamas