Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2022, 16:16   #1

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,
Dismal Swamp

Any recent experience?

Checking distances from Elizabeth City to Norfolk, looks like Dismal Swamp is about 50? miles shorter than second ICW choice to Norfolk area.
I draw 4.6
thank you
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 16:29   #2

Boat: C&C 34
Re: Dismal Swamp

Pretty sure you don't go through the Dismal Swamp for a short cut. There are trees all over and you have to pick your way through it.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 16:33   #3

Boat: 1982 Cal 31

I know when I made that trip a few years ago it was closed and had been closed due to so many trees down in it from a hurricane. I think it needed dredging again as well, I haven't heard one way or the other if it was ever completed, but from stories I've heard, it's a much more mosquito, biting fly kinda voyage than going around the normal route. It'll run you through a few more bridges, etc, than going around as well.
Drummer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 16:39   #4

I haven't done it in many years but was well worth doing it. I hope for your enjoyment it is clear and open.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 16:57   #5

Massive amounts of Duckweed has been a problem in years past which can lead to overheating of the engine due to clogging of water entrainment strainers and heat exchangers and added drag that slows the boats progress. Should call to find out what the current conditions are.

Reference to recent survey of the Dismal Swamp Canal.

Appears to be maintained to 6 feet of depth in the center, of course less along the edges.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dismal canal.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	412.8 KB
ID:	255531  
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 17:14   #6

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

thank you all
sort of suspected, actually have a great of dislike for the ICW I single hand and found it to be very uncomfortable for one person.
If I cannot entice my friend to go with me around Cape Hatteras, will definitively use the second option.
Thank all again.
David
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 17:31   #7

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Massive amounts of Duckweed has been a problem in years past which can lead to overheating of the engine due to
I've been through 3 times. Did not have this issue as I have no engine. It typically takes 2 days to get from norfolk to elizabeth city since the trees block a lot of the wind.

The problem I had one time was ice more than an inch thick in the canal stopping the boat and taking some time to break through, but throwing the boom across causing the boat to gybe worked to break the ice eventually rope to the land, then winching broke through the thick ice.

I also sailed up the feeder ditch to the lake, and this was interesting to avoid hitting trees and more logs had to kayak the last mile to get to the lake as it was shallow.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 17:35   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by seandepagnier View Post
I've been through 3 times. Did not have this issue as I have no engine. It typically takes 2 days to get from norfolk to elizabeth city since the trees block a lot of the wind.

The problem I had one time was ice more than an inch thick in the canal stopping the boat and taking some time to break through, but throwing the boom across causing the boat to gybe worked to break the ice eventually rope to the land, then winching broke through the thick ice.

I also sailed up the feeder ditch to the lake, and this was interesting to avoid hitting trees and more logs had to kayak the last mile to get to the lake as it was shallow.
You did all that in a Crowther 33? I wouldn't think you could even fit that into the locks to get into the canal!
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 17:44   #9

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
You did all that in a Crowther 33!?
had a bristol 27 at the time
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 18:07   #10

"There was not much duckweed until well after the Dismal Swamp Welcome Center." Notice at 3:27 second mark of the video. stated to begin to show up at the 5:04 mark.

This YouTube video was taken in early November 2021, I would imagine the duckweed growth is seasonal in warmer weather.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 19:01   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I have not done the trip but looked at it hard.

My understanding is duckweed is not much of a problem in the spring.

I have also heard that the lock operators answer the phone and give good advice.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 19:05   #12

Did it in 2020 in my Morgan Classic 416. Was excellent, stopped a night in the middle. Awesome unique experience
Electricsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 19:30   #13

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

We just did the dismal swamp in the fall moving south.
I will not do the Virginia cut ever again if possible.
2 locks and 2 attached lift bridges, that's it! No fast moving boats passing and waking you. Free tie ups or anchorages at either side, and in the middle. It's peaceful and easy.
The downsides,
Overhanging trees can catch your mast and rigging if not paying attention. The simple fix is... Pay attention!
Duckweed can clog your intake. If you have to clean your strainer often, this will be a problem for you. Our intake is well below the waterline and even though the surface was covered with duckweed, we didn't suck any in
Controlling depth is 6' or so. There are rotten logs on the bottom that may stir up. Don't follow close to any boat and it's minimal issues. We are 4.5' and I heard a light thump twice against a keel.
It is a gorgeous stretch and we really enjoyed it. It's the only stretch of icw I'm looking forward to on our trip back north
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 21:04   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

I did it for the third time in October of 2021. I had done it in August, going in the opposite direction, and also back in 2010. The first trip was in a Leopard 45, with the mast down. 4'6" draft and 24 foot beam. It was pretty effortless. Last August was in a PDQ 36, with the mast up. 3 foot draft, 18 foot beam, 47 foot mast. i bumped a lot more stuff under the surface, but it was otherwise OK. Last October, in the same boat, I bumped enough underwater stuff, hard, to require some glass repair during the haul out I had already scheduled for a few weeks later.

I love the place. It's beautiful, peaceful and I have never hit any branches, although that has taken the utmost of care. Never had problems with duckweed, or bugs, either. Sadly, my trip last October will be the last. There was just two much stuff under the surface. With only a three foot draft, I damaged the boat, and I heard that others did, too. I would love to go through there every time I head in that direction, but it is not worth the risk of damage, so never again.

I wish you better luck. And, if you get that better luck, you will want to do it again and again.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 01:25   #15

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I went through a few years ago with 4.5 ft draft with no problems. Have also gone the coinjock route, and you can't go wrong either way.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote