Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2018, 02:38   #1

Download GRIB to iSatPhone Free, cheapest way

Looking to find a thread on how to download GRIB and email via Inmarsat iSatPhone Pro, cheapest options. Searched Cruisers Forum but didn't find anything, could somebody perhaps guide me in the right direction?

Need to adhere to ARC requirements. We rely heavily on our Garmin InReach Explorer+ but they require us to download emails from them while on the sea so they're not happy with that unit. Also, we know a meterologist (!) that we can call and ask what's ahead of us. Beats analysing GRIB files on my own I think, being an amateur. To adhere we bought an old iSatPhone Pro that works fine, we've used it for SMS and calls.

I have google:d and found products such as SailMail, XGate, RedPort Optimizer.

So if money wasn't a concern I might go for:
SailMail + RedPort Optimizer + external antenna.
+ use with various equipment (over RedPort's WiFi): iPads, Android tablets, Mac/Windows PCs.

I know a bit about computers, I want to try the free option instead (if there is one?), using a Windows 7 laptop:
iSatPhone Pro -> USB cable -> computer
+ sit outside in cockpit
+ configure Windows with dial up modem and such.
+ GRIB client, is Zygrib alright? Point GRIB client to downloaded GRIB file, on local file system (after download).
- It might all be unusable but want to try to download an email and get the smallest possible GRIB file ("Atlantic", 5 Kb).

I just need to figure out to stop all traffic but that email client. Either by blocking in firewall or set up a static route (networking is my weakest side of IT).

Is getting the GRIB file via email the only option? Are there any OpenSource/freeware email clients that strips from images and sends/receives only plain text please?

I know of this email address:
gmngrib@globalmarinenet.net

Are there others, in case that company ceases that service in the future?

To complicate, previous owner has setup an admin password on the iSatPhone Pro that she has forgotten about. Can't find a way to reset it. So I am not sure it works for data traffic. I can only hope I don't need to change any admin settings.

Perhaps there exists threads here about this?

If I find out how to do this, I will make a blog post about it share via this thread etc. Still need some missing pieces of information though.
Bob666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 03:18   #2

Re: Download GRIB to iSatPhone Free, cheapest way

There was a program that was part of Sailmail which allowed you to download grib files. This was free, apart from the call costs. You'd get about 4 days worth of gribs at say 4 hour intervals, in under 2 minutes. Our Isatphone pro just plugged into the laptop.

Then you'd view the gribs on open CPN, or Ugrib, also free programs.

Unfortunately this software is on our old, dead, laptop, and I can't remember what it was called.

Could have been saildocs. Anyway, it was all free apart from the satphone costs, and it worked pretty well.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 03:22   #3

I found the admin and user codes of the iSatPhone Pro so I now know them
Old 06-09-2018, 03:34   #4

I am looking for a free email client. Sailmail costs 250 USD/year which I don't want to pay right now.

If impossible to find, what about:
https://www.ocens.com/

Better/worse than Sail mail?

Why not this:
http://www.siriuscyber.net/sailmail/
?
Old 06-09-2018, 03:40   #5

I think saildocs is free, even though it's part of sailmail.

John McEnroe
Old 06-09-2018, 04:19   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

Your smartphone should be able to reach gribs via IridiumGo. Just as it does over the mobile network or wifi.

Apps like PocketGrib, qtVlm and others allow you to mark and download a custom file matching the parameters (area, days, data type) you want. Some of my clients do this, others prefer their weather router to do all file (gribs, radiofax, etc) work ashore (faster link, more sources, sometimes more skill too) and provide them with just the resulting routing an/or forecast gist.

If you have an IridiumGo onboard, simply go to Google Play and download five best Apps for the purpose and play with them to find which one matches your use.

Alternatively, use your laptop on the same network and download with ZyGrib, qtVlm or any other alternative. Same tricks as with Apps: mark the area you want, specify the days, the data, click and wait).

The job is btw not of a meteorologist but of a weather router. One creates the data, the other interprets it given your boat parameters, crew strength, etc.

Do not ask me how I know ;-) Maybe we will meet when you come down to join the fleet in Las Palmas.

Have a safe passage!

Cheers,
barnakiel
Las Palmas
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:02   #7

Following manual here:https://sailmail.com/tag/inmarsat/

I don't have "modem" in Device manager on this HP EliteBook 840 G1.

I do have two exclamation marks. I ran HPs auto tool to get all drivers. Not sure how to proceed. Googled modem drivers Elitebook 840 G1, but no go.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:47   #8

I managed to get rid of two remaining exclamation marks in Device Manager. No wonder people buy Apple Macs?! Pain in the ...

I had to download, e.g.:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...ect-Technology

No way the "man on the street" would have known...

Anyway, this PC doesn't have a modem. I just skip part one here:
https://sailmail.com/tag/inmarsat/

then? Will try and see...

Make a route seems the way to go, like they suggest on SailMail, rather than blocking this and that port in Windows firewall. Don't want Windows update etc to use satellite link!

Barnakiel: yeah maybe we meet, now in Spain.

Cheers
Old 06-09-2018, 07:29   #9

You are on the right track with Windows PPP and dial-up networking. I used this with an Iridium Satphone, with WL2K/Airmail.

Try zygrib (xygrib) - there's a download option (click on globe).

To add to the Sailmail/Airmail discussion -- this is a way to send and receive email. Essentially you are sending a request via SailDocs for a GRIB file. Sailmail has an annual subscription but doesn't require any license. Airmail is part of the Winlink HAM radio network, which requires a HAM (usually General Class) license. There are restrictions on commercial use of the service, etc.

Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:18   #10

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

There are a few difficulties in that project:

1- With PPP dialup interface, your laptop / computer (windows or mac) will think it is on the internet and will seek for updates and retrieve a bunch of stupid things that will clog the sat phone data traffic. This makes retrieving just emails and grib file almost impossible.
Sailmail / Xgate app comes it, as they will operate as a filter that will block all internet traffic but email request...

2- Data compression: Sailmail servers / Redport optimizer will compressed / decompressed the data to be sent receive, reducing the required bandwidth and sat phone connection duration. PPP do not includes that.

3- Satellite connection: Satellite will get out of view from the phone in 5 to 7 minutes. So this is all the connection time you have to do your business before you get a connection drop message. Unless the email client is smart enough to handle disconnection / reconnection to the next satellite (this can take 20 minutes) all the precious received data over the last 5-7 minutes will be lost and you are back to square 1. Again sailmail client / servers handle this reconnection / resume download smoothly

I'll be curious if you get something working reliably.
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:34   #11

Boat: a sailing boat

If Windows and Mac download their own useless stupid stuff (a.k.a. critical updates), then use an Android phone or tablet. Maybe iPhones can do this too.

I set up my own Windows 10 (10 Pro) machine and it downloads nothing without my request. Still, it may be doing its own checks in the background, which will cost money then.

A small 3-day grib downloads in about 1 minute over IridiumGo. Wind, pressure, rainfall, swell.

InReach downloads and interprets grib data too - in the tabular way (but does not let you grab the file for use in a third party packages). This method is inexpensive ('free' with any plan, effective, but not all that great, imho. I am strongly graphical - and prefer to actually see a picture (a radiofax, or a grib overlay on the chart, etc.)

And always always always test your preferred solution in port, before you need it offshore. I have seen many many a crew depart with boats loaded with prime weather solutions only to discover two days into the passage that their solutions work NOT.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:43   #12

Thanks guys. I managed to set up something in the computer so it tried to use the iSatPhone Pro as a modem. But I have to enter credentials for an ISP. This is natural, I should have thought about it, but it's been a while since I used a modem.

So cheapest option would be to use a laptop + USB cable + iSatPhone Pro and SailMail. I do not understand about Airmail above. Isn't that the Mail client used to connect to the SailMail ISP? Thing with Airmail is that it creates a dedicated route, effectively disabling all other traffic. This is good.

I got two months to get this working, but only 9 days left on a prepaid SIM card so it will be main focus the coming days.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:54   #13

...so in theory, if I get credentials to a modem pool of my broadband provider back home, I should be able to connect to the internet that way? However I would need an email client such as Airmail, to disable all other network traffic over the sat link.

It seems impossible and lots of hassle, so I guess only way is Sailmail, Ocens etc?
Old 06-09-2018, 13:17   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emouchet View Post
There are a few difficulties in that project:

3- Satellite connection: Satellite will get out of view from the phone in 5 to 7 minutes. So this is all the connection time you have to do your business before you get a connection drop message. Unless the email client is smart enough to handle disconnection / reconnection to the next satellite (this can take 20 minutes) all the precious received data over the last 5-7 minutes will be lost and you are back to square 1. Again sailmail client / servers handle this reconnection / resume download smoothly

I'll be curious if you get something working reliably.
Inmarsat uses geostationary satellites, so this doesn't happen.
Old 06-09-2018, 14:22   #15

Boat: Riva 48

Best free way is to use Winlink as an email client. On your Windows laptop you need to setup the firewall so that it does not allow any traffic except email. It is relatively easy to do in the firewall. Create a satellite profile, an SSB profile and a shore Wifi profile in the firewall. When offshore, the firewall will stop all traffic except email. The email files will be small because gribs are already compressed and the grib request email is small. You will not lose much compared to Redport and it will be totally free. Winlink allows you to preview emails and choose which ones to download, so you can use this for general email as well. Remember to change the firewall profile when in harbor or you will not be able to surf the web.

SV Pizzazz
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, loa, phone, rib