Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2018, 14:01   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: e-charts for san blas

I say this every time the San Blas islands come up: secure a paper copy of Tom Zydler's cruising guide. Done San Blas twice; been from Nellie and Gertie at the west end all the way to Obaldia the east end. Used the DMA charts only for planning, but Zydler for getting in and out of everywhere. No GPS needed, just the book, compass and eyeball.
Really can't fathom why everyone gets tied up in knots trying to fiddle with waypoints when this resource exists.
Old 04-01-2018, 14:17   #17

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
I say this every time the San Blas islands come up: secure a paper copy of Tom Zydler's cruising guide. Done San Blas twice; been from Nellie and Gertie at the west end all the way to Obaldia the east end. Used the DMA charts only for planning, but Zydler for getting in and out of everywhere. No GPS needed, just the book, compass and eyeball.
Really can't fathom why everyone gets tied up in knots trying to fiddle with waypoints when this resource exists.
We had Zydler and Bauhaus both times we cruised the San Blas. Not sure if you've actually looked at the Bauhaus boat, but it is really far more comprehensive than Zydler. The Zydler book was done a long time ago on a boat with limited propulsion. In it's day it was the best available. The Bauhaus book was developed with modern cartography tools and is superior.
Old 04-01-2018, 14:27   #18
Marine Service Provider

^^ Hi Paul,

I glanced though Bauhaus last time I was there, but didn't use it--and buying it wasn't in the budget. I have no doubt it's more up-to-date on village regulations, facilities, etc. But it's not like coral moves that quick, and there was very little of the archipelago NOT covered by Zydler. I really appreciate the artistry of the hand-drawn sketches, and I found all the soundings spot on. I'd like to see something like that updated, rather than just a bunch of loser waypoints and aerial photos.
Thread drifting here, another hand-drawn guidebook I have loved is Freya Rauscher's guide to Belize. The sort of piloting and navigation hers and Zydler's guides assume is the sort I prefer, so they suit me just fine.
Old 04-01-2018, 14:51   #19

Boat: Outbound 44

Ben
I too like those hand drawn chartlets. And some of the descriptions are interesting in Zydler. The offshore approach diagrams and description are no longer needed with GPS. The Bauhaus book has many more depth soundings personally taken by Eric over many more areas. It's charts are more accurate and complete and for good or bad open up many areas for cruising and anchoring beyond what Zydler did.
Just imagine 50 years from now when someone puts out a new Panama guide and we can discuss how the old style Bahaus guide is really the way to go
Old 05-01-2018, 16:24   #20
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Ben
I too like those hand drawn chartlets. And some of the descriptions are interesting in Zydler. The offshore approach diagrams and description are no longer needed with GPS. The Bauhaus book has many more depth soundings personally taken by Eric over many more areas. It's charts are more accurate and complete and for good or bad open up many areas for cruising and anchoring beyond what Zydler did.
Just imagine 50 years from now when someone puts out a new Panama guide and we can discuss how the old style Bahaus guide is really the way to go
I don't plan to be around in 50 years, but I'll look forward to it in 20.
Cheers!
Old 21-12-2018, 01:50   #21

Location: Aboard currently New Zealand at last free from lockdown
Boat: Custom steel schooner 15m oa

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiggins View Post
I just recreate my charts of the San Blass using GE2KAP from the Google Earth, Bing and Navionics Maps from SasPlanet. You can get them from this link and drilling down to the Panama Charts:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ahv3fXEZ5SzkjRTcnfNuiHWgtQKa

They were created at Z16 zoom level which is about a scale of 1:17000

Thanks for that. We're headed there in Feb 2019 and bought the Zydler book, then we found out about Bauhaus - outta budget now but your link much appreciated!

Safe sailing.
Old 21-12-2018, 03:43   #22

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobie_ind View Post
Here's a shot of our tracks into one of the San Blas anchorages on our Navionics charts (shown in iNavX on the iPad).

Actually, the accuracy of the Navionics charts for this anchorage was actually better than most in the San Blas...... As Phil on Moondancer noted though, even with the book, it's certainly a place to plan moving around in good light. It's good, but we didn't rely on it solely.

Mark

PS. I really recommend getting a copy of the book, but if you just get a copy of Eric Bauhas' charts electronically for free from somewhere at least look him up in Panama City when you're there and give him something for his efforts. His dad (Allie Heise - also a welder if you need one) lives on a red steel boat usually anchored in the bay north of La Playita. Eric spent a lot of time surveying the San Blas and truly deserves some compensation for his efforts and the service he's done for cruisers in the area.
Ironically, the image you posted, apparently as evidence of Navionics being "better than most" in the San Blas, shows your boat ashore. Ive cruised the San Blas for 5 seasons with Navionics on board...the image you posted is an accurate depiction of its poor accuracy in the San Blas...some who have trusted Navionics too much have ended up on reefs.

A message intended for everyone:

As you point out, Bahaus did an amazingly accurate job of his surveys and deserves to be compensated. Yes, pirated electronic copies of his charts are available, but please if you use them at least buy the book.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 04:03   #23

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

As you move further east in the San Blas, Bauhaus etc becomes even more essential as the big name electronic charts become even more inaccurate.

We've really enjoyed our jaunts into the eastern San Blas. The barrier reefs fade away as you move east, making the route more exposed, so its best to do it late in the season as the trade winds fade (April-May). Very different than the W San Blas and much less visited...only a few times did we even have another cruising boat in the same anchorage.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 15:00   #24

Hi,
We are about to sail into the San Blas Island. We have Eric Bauhaus’s book ,but we would like the digitized charts that are in open CPN. We could really use a version that would work on an IPad. If you can help could you send a copy to us by email ?
Thanks
Mike Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 00:47   #25

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins

If you follow this link of my charts of the Caribbean down to the Panama directory you will find charts in both kap and mbtiles format for SanBlas.

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...2CE519717DF71B
Old 13-11-2019, 06:31   #26

I’m having trouble down loading on to SEAiq on my IPad. I don have a computer onboard so I’m trying to down load the charts from a link. They are KAP charts but I get an error in SEAiqin when I try and load them. Can anyone help.
Thanks
Old 13-11-2019, 08:49   #27

I’m trying to down load Open CPM charts for Eric Bauhaus can anyone give me directions to down load these charts use an Android device (Samsung 4) or Motorhome 6 phone.
Thanks

Tags
charts