Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: What is the worst forcast weather that you would go out in?
Calm to light winds - 0 to 10 knots 0 0%
Moderate winds - 11 to 16 knots 2 4.55%
Fresh Winds - 17 to 21 knots 4 9.09%
Strong winds - 22 to 27 knots 20 45.45%
Near gale - 28 to 33 knots 12 27.27%
Gale or stronger - over 33 knots 6 13.64%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2009, 04:23   #16

The sea state is what makes the trip in heavy winds a bummer. If there is a long fetch and a long blow the seas will be large and if there is a wind shift in there - confused as well. YUCK.

Short period seas that are steep and aver 4 feet are uncomfortable on Shiva so I will wait for things to calm down before heading out. Winds up to 30 are usually not a problem if this is a "passing thing", as the seas don't pick up that much where we sail. But I wouldn't sail any point of sail up wind in those conditions if I didn't have to. Downwind is usually fine and you need little canvas to make good speed.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 05:50   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
With seas forecast to 18', many of our friends have been advising us to stay until the current pattern changes.
Defjef states some good qualifiers to all weather predictions. In the end you need something to feel comfortable with. With less experience it would follow you would be more cautious. The idea is to pick your battles. Stuff just happens from time to time and you can get a poor twist of weather most any time.

You can begin by stacking the deck of cards in your favor. Use the predictions to get a window you feel comfortable will work for your level of experience. This is the part of sailing that gets pretty difficult. Not being in a hurry can be the hardest skill to master.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 07:10   #18

Boat: Privilege 37
When you read deeply into accidents at sea there is a significant common fact that stands out in amongst a variety of other causes - the yachtsman's need to be somewhere due to a time constraint leading to a decision to leave when more prudent minds would suggest caution.
Old 14-02-2009, 23:01   #19
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
I can't believe there are only 4 other people who would stay in port over 22 kts. Is 85% of people here weird, bravado filled for poll making or crackers?

Quote:
Calm to light winds - 0 to 10 knots 00%Moderate winds - 11 to 16 knots 12.94%Fresh Winds - 17 to 21 knots 411.76%Strong winds - 22 to 27 knots 1647.06%Near gale - 28 to 33 knots 823.53%Gale or stronger - over 33 knots 514.71%Voters: 34. You have already voted on this poll
30 people would head out in 22 kts + when they could just as well stay in harbour as there is no time constraint as specified by the initial post?

That 47% would head out in 27 kt winds?
25% - i.e a quarter of all people here would go out in 32 kts and 15% would go out in a full gale when they could just as well stay in the Tavern?

I think this poll has shown some people are either lying or crackers. I hope its just a bit of bravado in pushing poll buttons

The initial post says: "stay at a good anchorage rather than moving on". There isnt a time constraint. The Mother In Law isn't headed out from the beach!
If its blowing a full gale and the forecast says for the next 4 days the weather is good - do you really on some peanut who says the weather is good or do you look outside and see there’s a gale and realise a weather prediction is just that, a prediction.

I have full confidence in my boat (etc) and when we are out there we are out for the duration and take what comes... but would 85% of people here really leave a good anchorage in 22 or more kts? [Unless there was some extenuating reasopn like wind known to be abating in the next few hours and was from astern]

Am I missing something in this thread?

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2009, 01:30   #20

I suspect it is more a case of having a lot of safe harbours close at hand available to bale out in. It is also a case of different sea conditions due to those winds. In the English channel, unless the wind is from the SW, you will not experience the enormous waves that are the reason for your statement.
Old 15-02-2009, 03:07   #21

Boat: "Tranquil" - '79 Westerly Berwick Ketch
Captains in a hurry frequently worry.
Captains at ease frequent kind seas.
PatrickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2009, 04:27   #22
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Mark - I think perhaps you are missing somthing-
When in I crusied in S. Florida & the Bahamas I thought 22 knots of wind
was a lot - because we are used to around 12- 20 knots in that area but once I started cruiseing in other parts of the world- I found that a higher wind speed was the norm _ and I became used to sailing in higher winds- I also found I enjoyed wind speeds of above 22 knots for my yacht -(25 knots is perfect) for instance in Greece - I found if your not out there in over 22 knots of wind you could be sitting at the dock for weeks at a time- One of the reasons I have a yacht so I can move around , staying in one place for weeks at a time is rare for me, but it happens if i really love the place , most of the time im at a place for less then a week then move on, last year I spent 2 months in Santorini that was because I was connected to friends who live there-
Most of the places I stop at are good Anchorages but to me a sail boat is for sailing to new places if I wanted to stay put I would live in a village-

Last year I left Nexos town sailing between Nexos & Paros to Santorini when it was blowing steady at around 28 knots gusting to 38 the seas were around 10- 12 feet and the wind was from directly behind me, as I left the port we were sailing under bare poles at 6 knots- I raised the main (with 3 reefs in) and we were off to the races- doing around 14 knots- to me this is a great day of sailing- I loved it, in fact that was one of the best day of sailing in my life - but I do pick my wind direction that makes all the difference I
voted near gale, btw -Am I crackers , maybe?--
Check out my website there is a video clip of sailing that day at
Sailing-Charters
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2009, 04:54   #23

For us since we don't have schedules to keep when on board, like making the curtain call 150 miles from where we're anchored in 2 days, we head out to sail in pleasant to mildly challenging conditions. And we might head out in stronger winds if we have a forecast that they are going to diminsh. On the other hand we wouldn't head out if there was a forecast of winds picking up and being sustained for what would be the expected time of our passage.

I've sailed enough not to need to be out there every minute of the time we're on board. We enjoy lolly gogging about in port on the hook. We even sometimes don't go ashore because the dinghy ride is going to be a wet thriller. Of course I have to take the pooches for to empty them.

And even offshore, I will always seek a comfortable point of sail rather than get beat up for hours. You will live longer.
Old 15-02-2009, 05:07   #24
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
but I do pick my wind direction that makes all the difference I
voted near gale, btw -Am I crackers , maybe?--
Don't worry, we are all a little crackers

I used to love fast going when I was racing - other peoples boats

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2009, 05:15   #25

Wher I used to keep my boat, (Solent area) The decision on whether to go out or not, was not actually based on the conditions at sea, but on whether I could get out of the marina safely, and even more important, whether I would be able to berth back in the marina - especially as I was single handing.
Old 15-02-2009, 07:16   #26

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
In my 36' trawler with the Wife and dog we stay put if the forecast is for 15-20k or more.
Being retired we have plenty of time and there is usually lots to do ashore or on the boat when in port.

Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2009, 07:54   #27

Boat: Beneteau 50
We are right on Long Island sound, which is more protected than being mid-ocean. So, as the quesiton says, the "worst forcast weather" that I would go out in (measured in knots) could be very windy, especially as I'll be practicing heaving-to and other things.
bene505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2009, 09:59   #28

The Long Island Sound is subject to some very nasty condition because of the currents especially at the ends. If you have a westerly blow for several days, for example, conditions at the Gut and the Race can be very dangerous with short steep seas which the same wind conditions would not produce offshore. You want to be extra careful in these areas.
Old 15-02-2009, 12:00   #29

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Very entertaining discussion

For me (as a singlehander as well) I think local knowledge is just as important as all the valid justifications already offered... 30 knots of N wind smack in the midst of the Gulf Stream along FL will break you and your boat... but it is 30 knots from the S, you can open a cold beer and enjoy the wonderful ride

So, where are you sailing today? Do you have enough cold beer?

Cheers!

Sailndive345
Sailndive345 is offline   Reply With Quote