Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2015, 09:23   #16

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: Free AIS Ship Plotters

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
True. I think most CF'ers know this, but just to be complete, understand that the apps that put a virtual AIS postion on the web site ONLY work for others using that web site. Ships and boats will NOT see you.
Which is yet another reason such websites are absolutely useless! These websites should go away!
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 09:34   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Which is yet another reason such websites are absolutely useless! These websites should go away!
I agree that they should never be used for navigation. That does not mean that they are useless. Our family members can see where we are, and we can see where our friends boats are to arrange a meeting. If a boat is stolen, it may even be the means of recovering it.
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 09:40   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Elsewhere View Post
I agree that they should never be used for navigation. That does not mean that they are useless. Our family members can see where we are, and we can see where our friends boats are to arrange a meeting. If a boat is stolen, it may even be the means of recovering it.
All the positives you list are outweighed by the breach of privacy enabling the armchair stalkers.

BTW, if you friends are within VHF range, look on your AIS receiver, it's far more reliable than any website.
Old 19-01-2015, 09:58   #19
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Gee DD, you really hate those sites egh. I find them handy to see who's coming and going and also check conditions. This morning I was checking. Conditions between islands and noticed yachts being knocked well below course so decided to wait for the wind to back to the east a bit more. It's handy to keep track of friends that are out if VHF range as well. Also a good heads up where or where not to anchor. Here's some goose in st martin you might or might not want to anchor next to..
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1421690293.282203.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	95721
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 10:09   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Gee DD, you really hate those sites egh. I find them handy to see who's coming and going and also check conditions. This morning I was checking. Conditions between islands and noticed yachts being knocked well below course so decided to wait for the wind to back to the east a bit more. It's handy to keep track of friends that are out if VHF range as well. Also a good heads up where or where not to anchor. Here's some goose in st martin you might or might not want to anchor next to..
Attachment 95721
Yep, I view public broadcasting of my identity and current location as a privacy issue. IMO needs to fix it.

Showing icons on a map is fine, simply allow removal of the identity (boat name & MMSI).
Old 19-01-2015, 10:47   #21

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Yep, I view public broadcasting of my identity and current location as a privacy issue. IMO needs to fix it.

Showing icons on a map is fine, simply allow removal of the identity (boat name & MMSI).
Turn off your transmitter.

Our (the USA) esteemed president proposed that for security reasons, all boats would be required to be fitted with working AIS transponders, presumably even uncle Bubba's camouflaged duck boat. Fortunately, more sensible heads prevailed.
Old 19-01-2015, 11:45   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Turn off your transmitter.
Yep! I do that.

But, it kinda of defeats the purpose......
Old 19-01-2015, 12:48   #23

Quote:
Yep! I do that.

But, it kinda of defeats the purpose......
You make a choice. Do you want to be seen and known or not?
Old 19-01-2015, 12:51   #24

Quote:
You make a choice. Do you want to be seen and known or not?
Yes, within the confines of AIS and it's intended uses.
Old 19-01-2015, 12:58   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I have a Class A AIS transceiver on the research boat. I also have internet. I have compared what the websites are saying to what my onboard AIS is saying. Sometimes the websites lag a few seconds and sometimes a few minutes.

The problem is, if you only have web access, you do not know what the lag is. Knowing if and how much lag there is is critical for your safety.

I would never put the safety of those onboard to reliance on possible sketchy AIS information. It's not worth the money saved.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 13:07   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I have a Class A AIS transceiver on the research boat. I also have internet. I have compared what the websites are saying to what my onboard AIS is saying. Sometimes the websites lag a few seconds and sometimes a few minutes.

The problem is, if you only have web access, you do not know what the lag is. Knowing if and how much lag there is is critical for your safety.

I would never put the safety of those onboard to reliance on possible sketchy AIS information. It's not worth the money saved.
And if you get away from the areas where the website's receivers are, you will see no AIS targets. With the line of sight signal, there are many uncovered areas just on the southeast US coast, much less other parts of the country or world.

It's good entertainment, that's about it.
Old 19-01-2015, 13:42   #27

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Spend $600 and get a class B transmit/receive AIS. Marine Traffic is a fun toy but is never considered a navigation tool. Great for keeping up to date with mates and their location.
lordgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 16:39   #28

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Elsewhere View Post
The free MarineTraffic site will display the receiving stations, and their status, on the charts if you enable them.
Thanks! I hadn't played with that feature.

It confirms there are no receiving stations near my home harbor. I know our marina has one that someone set up, so I guess it's one of the other networks.

For me, AIS Class B is primarily for safety when navigating shipping lanes. I'd also like to give friends and family shoreside a chance to see where I am, but of course that's only good near a receiving station. Finally, although I can't imagine an old, slow trawler is high on the theft list, the AIS is wired to come on when either engine is powered up, so in theory it could be tracked if stolen. I do have an unmarked bypass switch so I can turn it on or off independent of the engines if I want. And of course the unit itself can be left on and receiving but not transmitting by using the Android app.

I guess I'm so used to non-existent privacy these days that I've given up fighting it. But I don't blame anyone for having that concern.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 16:53   #29
Eternal Member

Quote:
Our (the USA) esteemed president proposed that for security reasons, all boats would be required to be fitted with working AIS transponders, presumably even uncle Bubba's camouflaged duck boat. Fortunately, more sensible heads prevailed.
Hmmm, are you sure about that?

I realize he recently signed legislation approving the mandate of AIS for virtually all commercial vessels operating in US waters, but can you offer a cite showing he wanted "all boats" to be included in the expanded requirements?
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 16:58   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I guess I'm so used to non-existent privacy these days that I've given up fighting it. But I don't blame anyone for having that concern.
This privacy breach goes far beyond anything else.....in realtime they broadcast your location and identity in (2) forms. It takes maybe 4 mouse clicks to find out your name and home address.

Nothing else goes this far.

Tags
ais