Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2018, 09:50   #646

Re: Free Routing Software. qtVlm

Hi,
I take good note of your suggestions.
You can hide the grib bar in grib display options (icon with a windsock in the toolbar). I will see if I can also make it moveable.
You can add/remove/move/etc POI inside a pathway (you can also close a pathway). Just right click on the path to see all this insert or append POIs. A POI can belong to several pathways, but cannot belong to a pathway and a route.
For the routing start date I am not sure if it is a good idea to remember it, that might cause problems for users who just use that from time to time. I will ask other users.
Importing gpx to pathways went in the todo list, ok

Philippe.
maitai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:53   #647

Some news from us, since version 5.8.4 has been released yesterday. I'll take this opportunity to sum up the main changes in qtVlm in 2018

General:
- Night mode display. MOB.

Charts:
- Support for S63 maps on all platforms (Windows, Linux, MacOS, Raspberry, Android, iOS) and Visit My Harbour charts. SHOM open data (wrecks, cables, etc).

Gribs:
New data (sea temp, Reflectivity, etc.), direct download of openskiron gribs, Weather images in KMZ or KML format (satellite views).

Weather Routing:
Reflectivity, night polar, waves polar, crossed sea.

Routes:
User customized fields in java script

Pathways and Barriers:
Import/Export functions. Reversed pathways.

Instruments:
XTE (Cross Track Error)

Alarms
XTE, distance to coasts.

AIS:
AIS through internet for Europ and possibility to share positions via internet. List of MMSI generating an alarm.

Anchor:
Possibility to send an email or a SMS. Forbidden sector.

And last but not least, qtVlm Companion, an Android and Android Wear application that can display many things and manage qtVlm directly from your Android device or watch.

All the same, another busy year

Fair winds to all
Philippe.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:03   #648

Thanks Philippe for another great release.
May I take the opportunity to raise some suggestions for 2019

1. [QUOTE]
For the routing start date I am not sure if it is a good idea to remember it, that might cause problems for users who just use that from time to time. I will ask other users.
[UNQUOTE]
I shall be interested to hear what other users say, but I frequently want to plan routes in advance and set a future date. If I now change some parameters (eg grib etc) I make another run and frequently forget to set the startdate/time right again. Would like to keep (as long as qtVlm has not been closed and reopened) the start date+time set - maybe a "now" buttom would cater for your current behaviour.

2. In the past you hinted some solution for different sail configurations, e.g. different polars with some overlap options. What is your plan on this?

3. Is support of oeSENC charts still planned?
Pity that my existing S63 charts don't load as they a pre-ridgid permit control.

Keep up the great work! - Thanks.
skipperearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:46   #649

[QUOTE=skipperearly;2778379]Thanks Philippe for another great release.
May I take the opportunity to raise some suggestions for 2019

Quote:
[UNQUOTE]
I shall be interested to hear what other users say, but I frequently want to plan routes in advance and set a future date. If I now change some parameters (eg grib etc) I make another run and frequently forget to set the startdate/time right again. Would like to keep (as long as qtVlm has not been closed and reopened) the start date+time set - maybe a "now" buttom would cater for your current behaviour.

2. In the past you hinted some solution for different sail configurations, e.g. different polars with some overlap options. What is your plan on this?

3. Is support of oeSENC charts still planned?
Pity that my existing S63 charts don't load as they a pre-ridgid permit control.

Keep up the great work! - Thanks.
I agree - great release.

I also would agree to keep the last routing start date/time, even after reopening the program. For example, when planning a race, I often run the route several days in advance, each with a new GRIB file. The race start date/time is the same. Each time run, I have to reenter the same start date/time.

Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:39   #650

Ok, then, you got it I will add yet another option in the general routing tab to make everyone happy (Keep last routing starting date).
Old 10-12-2018, 10:49   #651

Quote:
Originally Posted by maitai View Post
Ok, then, you got it I will add yet another option in the general routing tab to make everyone happy (Keep last routing starting date).
Old 02-01-2019, 15:44   #652

I would like the ability to open a grib file through the command line option, e.g., "qtvlm /grib1=GFSXXXXXX.grb". I searched the documentation and online for the command line arguments. Even tried a few random switches. Do these options exist and/or could they please be added to the development list?

The reason I'm asking for this is, after downloading a grib file through RMS Express, I can click on the grib file attachment. I would like this to automatically replace the grib file stored in grib file #1. This simplifies having to use the keyboard to save grib file to a file location and then open the file.

Thank you
Don
Old 02-01-2019, 23:24   #653

Hi Don,
There is no command line option at the moment. I will add that one for opening a grib from the command line, but if a qtVlm session is already running you will end up with 2 qtVlm running.
Defining qtVlm as default grib viewer is also doable but it implies to mess up with windows registry, something we have succeeded to avoid so far.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:56   #654

Quote:
Hi Don,
There is no command line option at the moment. I will add that one for opening a grib from the command line, but if a qtVlm session is already running you will end up with 2 qtVlm running.
Defining qtVlm as default grib viewer is also doable but it implies to mess up with windows registry, something we have succeeded to avoid so far.
Thanks Maitai,
No problem with multiple instances of qtvlm running. To avoid the Windows registry, I plan on using a batch file, similar to,
cd "c:\program files\qtvlm"
qtvlm /grib1 "%1"
Then assign the batch file as the default "program".
Thanks again,
Don
Old 03-01-2019, 09:31   #655

Done. That will be as simple as qtVlm.exe path_to_grib_file
Old 03-01-2019, 09:41   #656

Quote:
Done. That will be as simple as qtVlm.exe path_to_grib_file
Thank you!!!!!
Old 19-06-2019, 12:22   #657

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Astréa 42.

I am using QTVLM a few years now, but only for basic weather routing. As we will leave later this year to cruise new horizons, I am preparing for a more detailed use.

And because I have a problem with the use (or creation) of MBTiles:
Some MBTiles (=smaller ones) show up perfectly, but others not at all. One MBTile, for example, gives a perfect preview, but doesn't show up in the map itself. And others even doesn't give a preview.
Any idea what could be the reason ?
Is there a limit of how much memory can be used as a MBTile ?
Luc bulterys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 13:12   #658

First answer is no, there is no known limits about a mbtiles size.

That being said, can you post an example ?
Old 19-06-2019, 15:44   #659

Thank you for reacting. I would like to post it, but CF doesn't support .mbtile attachments. I will send a PM with my mail address. If you could reply how you want me to transfer them.
I can add a print-screen here:

The other file is an OpenSeaMap but gives a "unreadable MBTiles database".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Schermafbeelding 2019-06-19 om 19.37.09.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	412.0 KB
ID:	194283  
Old 26-06-2019, 07:52   #660

I have another problem, but let me first explain how I intend to prepare my routing:
I make a route in iNavX (based on my Navionics charts) on my iPad. Then I export this route to GPX and want to import in Ovitalmap and qtVlm apps. But although something must be recognized (map zooms in on the endmark) and both programs confirm the import, nothing appears on the map.
If I open the iNavX-GPX-file with GPSvisualizer website, and convert it (again) to GPX, both Ovitalmap as qtVlm will recognize and show the route.
My problem is:
- that you need internet to convert the files, (so impossible during offshore passages)
- that I have to leave iPad, share the file with my Macbook, and once converted, share again with iPad. Quite cumbersome !
In the hope to find an offgrid solution, I tried 2 apps (GPXviewer) to do the same converting process, but without result.
Any advice to solve this, is more than welcome !

Tags
qtVlm, software