Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2020, 22:59   #31

Boat: Colvic Victor 50
Re: French Canals UK to the Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
I don't think there is "just rivers" option for fairly obvious geographic reasons. I haven't looked at this for a while but the larger/deeper connecting canals seem to be further north where a lot of the traffic is commercial barges
And I am trying to work out where these larger/deeper connecting canals are that the commercial vessels use. Anyone?
Hawkeye118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 00:00   #32

Boat: Southerly

Lots of info here - Believe Grehan spent quite a lot of time in the canals.

https://www.french-waterways.com/pra.../canal-depths/
Adrian Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 00:08   #33

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

You can also go through Germany via the rivers and canals to the Danube and then down to the Black Sea, trough the Bosporus, Marmara sea to the Med.

It is doable even with a beamy catamaran.
Old 14-01-2020, 00:41   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
You can also go through Germany via the rivers and canals to the Danube and then down to the Black Sea, trough the Bosporus, Marmara sea to the Med.

It is doable even with a beamy catamaran.
But you need a good turn of speed and licensing to go up the Rhine.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 01:24   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Complete thread drift, but I think Hawkeye has made the right decision.

So I keep looking at the Canal de Nantes à Brest. We have been as far as Dinan on the River Rance at the northern end before reaching this bridge about 2.5m of clearance and there is a tighter one further south in Nantes I think. On the way back to the coast we could see the lines we had ploughed in the mud at a higher tide.

Friends have done it and reported running aground in an outboard powered 6.5m rib. Sounds like a challenge, what could possibly go wrong

Only problem is the solar panels and arch need to come down off the stern.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	france-depths-2017.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	206909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinan.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	206910  

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 18:19   #36

So Guys, a couple more questions. I was having a look at going to the Black Sea via the Rhine from Rotterdam and then into the Danube. It looks 'doable' but has anyone here got any experience of the trip? Is there any printed literature about how to actually do it? Also, when we finally get into the Med, can any one recommend any wifi that we can use/hook into?
Old 23-02-2020, 06:10   #37

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye118 View Post
Has anyone got experience of sailing the french canal system from the English Channel to the Mediterranean? It is something I am looking into. With the basic research I have done, I see a problem with the draft of our boat. It is a Colvic Victor 50. I am not sure how accurate my documentation is, but it would seem as if the draft is 6'00". Most of the literature I have seen suggests the canal depths are 1.8 metres (5.90').

Is there any allowance in the depth as stated?

Is the stated dept correct?

How can I get an accurate assessment of what the draft is on our yacht?

Is there a realistic way of making the yacht more buoyant - i.e raising it out of the water whilst cruising the canals?

We are looking to do this in about mid April/May 2020. How long, if we were to eventually do it, should we realistically expect the voyage to take (shortest reasonable time)

Some of these may seem (to some) patently silly questions, so please be kind. If I knew the answers, I wouldn't be asking.
Hi, we have done the journey twice, about four years ago, 1.8 metres is maximum draft, however, Spring flood waters can give a little more depth, it’s just a matter of give it a go, we did the trip first in a Princess 412 then, more recently in a Dutch motor boat draft 1.6 . I think the only way to lift your yacht is to lighten it, send the mast on ahead, if you run aground there are folk to,pull you off, empty the water tanks ?

We did it in around 6/8 weeks, it’s a fabulous trip! Good luck.
ChrisandCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 09:34   #38

Boat: Dufour Nautitech435/FP Venezia42/Baltec Visiona 40/Catalac 10m used as a river cruiser

We made it from Le Havre to Port St. Louis du Rhone with 6ft draft. But not direct, we used the Canal de la Marne au Rhin in its full length until Strasbourg, then up the Rhine (Grand Canal d') to Basle for a personal reason. Then Canal du Rhone au Rhin until St. Symphorien and then the River Soane to Lyon and after the River Rhone to Port St. Louis du Rhone. Where we rigged up and left for Spain.

Last summer and also during this winter some canals were closed du to lack of water. Go to vnf.fr to consult the condition of the canals. Where you may also order the necessary vignette to navigate the canals.

Fair wind and plenty of water
James
onavegador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 12:07   #39

Boat: Moody 36 (80's)

I am French, may be I could help you, I attached the VNF map of depth in meter and the roadtrip.

I simulated a trip from Le Havre to Arles on VNF website, and according to their simulator, it should be possible possible: 1354 km.

https://www.vnf.fr/vnf/services/calc...de-navigation/
https://www.vnf.fr/vnf/services/
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Carte_VNF_mouillages_garantis_2018.pdf (1,022.7 KB, 50 views)
File Type: pdf Le Havre_Arles.pdf (89.0 KB, 53 views)
stef1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 00:08   #40

Boat: Gib'Sea 402

In theory, theory (simulation) is as good as practice. In practice it isn't ...
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 14:43   #41

Boat: Bavaria 44

Hi Hawkeye!

We are thrilled to know if you finally did it. Knowing the risks we are evaluating on doing it with a Bavaria 49 (1.8 m. draft).

Cheers!
Rehtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 15:10   #42

Boat: Cabo Rico NE 400

DON'T, JUST DON'T!

Don't believe the published depths!
Don't do it with a draft of 1.8m!

We did both southbound and northbound with 1.5 draft and spent just tooo many times aground. Even when we were aground showing 1.3m on the depth sounder the lock keeper kept pointing to the depth gauge on the wall beside the lock showing 1.9m ... yeah right ... get the picture?

As a young student lock keeper told us " ... if a French person says 'pas de probleme' ... there will be a problem!

Quite simply as a fellow forum member put it ... "the French have turned their backs on the canals!" And it shows.
Chanticleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 20:13   #43

Boat: 50' aluminium power cat

We are trying to get under the 3.5m air height for the route we want to take and can probably just get there (although in fresh water that will mean we'll have a 1.5m draft ).

Are the air heights remotely accurate?
mcarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 20:49   #44

Another worthy consideration is the amount of weed in the smaller canals. YouTube channels Wildings Sailing and Sailing Magic Carpet both posted recent vlogs of their French canal transits and, to be honest, it looked a bit nightmarish. Weed so thick it looked like one could practically walk on it and frequent propeller fouling and water intake clogging. I'd previously considered a canal trip but after watching their experiences it doesn't seem worthwhile. Good luck.
Heathenly Twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 23:02   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehtor View Post
Hi Hawkeye!

We are thrilled to know if you finally did it. Knowing the risks we are evaluating on doing it with a Bavaria 49 (1.8 m. draft).

Cheers!
Hi Rehtor, We actually did the trip - but not through the canals. We ended up just going down the coast and crossing the Bay of Biscay. Its been 2 months since we set off and we are currently at the island of Strimboli, off the coast of Sicily having watch the volcanic eruptions last night. We will transit the Messina Straits tomorrow. Good luck in your travels - and however you decide to get there.

Tags
canal, enc, grass