Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2019, 18:54   #1

Boat: Colvic Victor 50
French Canals UK to the Med

Has anyone got experience of sailing the french canal system from the English Channel to the Mediterranean? It is something I am looking into. With the basic research I have done, I see a problem with the draft of our boat. It is a Colvic Victor 50. I am not sure how accurate my documentation is, but it would seem as if the draft is 6'00". Most of the literature I have seen suggests the canal depths are 1.8 metres (5.90').

Is there any allowance in the depth as stated?

Is the stated dept correct?

How can I get an accurate assessment of what the draft is on our yacht?

Is there a realistic way of making the yacht more buoyant - i.e raising it out of the water whilst cruising the canals?

We are looking to do this in about mid April/May 2020. How long, if we were to eventually do it, should we realistically expect the voyage to take (shortest reasonable time)

Some of these may seem (to some) patently silly questions, so please be kind. If I knew the answers, I wouldn't be asking.
Hawkeye118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 02:20   #2

Boat: Gib'Sea 402
Re: French Canals UK to the Med

You won't have any draft problems on the navigable river sections, Seine, Saone and Rhone but you'll have to choose your canals carefully. We went through the Canal de Bourgogne a few years ago and with our 1.5m draft we were ploughing the bottom in lots of places. Beware - the Canal du Midi has a solid bottom that fixes the depth to 1.6m at best.

I think you can regard the official depths as wishful thinking except on sections used by large commercial vessels.
hoolie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 04:04   #3

Sailing Ruby Rose on Youtube is worth checking out, they have recently gone the other way in their Southerly. I imagine you might find quite a bit of useful info in their content, IIRC you would have no chance in some of the canals.
WTRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 06:36   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hello Hawkeye,

Disclaimer - haven't been there (yet) but have been researching a lot the last couple of years and this is what I've read and heard from those that have been there and done that.

The canal depths listed on the charts and guides is generally a best case scenario and can be a good bit lower, especially after a time of low rainfall.

With your draft of 1.83M you might theoretically be able to enter the Seine and connect to the Rhone to reach the Med but from all I've read even my 1.7M draft would probably not make it.

Here's a link to a very basic chart that shows color coded estimated canal depths if you want to check it out. https://www.french-waterways.com/pra.../canal-depths/
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 06:43   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Regarding your other questions about draft of your boat.

First thing, due to the lower density of fresh vs salt water your boat will sit just a little deeper in the canals than on the ocean.

Only way to get the exact draft of your boat is to measure it or measure another, identical boat. Builders do generally give a draft in the specs of the boat but also that draft is generally optimistic and is based on a mostly empty boat IE minimal or no fuel, water, food, supplies, tools, etc.

Only way to reduce the draft, other than taking a chain saw to the bottom of the keel, is to reduce weight. Since the mast has to come down anyway a lot of boaters pull the mast and ship it to the destination port. You could keep your water tanks at minimum levels since you should be able to get more easily, most of the time. Also minimize all the other stuff on the boat. However, as a rough estimate, all this will gain you at most 2-3 inches after allowing for the fresh water effect.
Old 29-12-2019, 07:03   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTRacer View Post
Sailing Ruby Rose on Youtube is worth checking out, they have recently gone the other way in their Southerly. I imagine you might find quite a bit of useful info in their content, IIRC you would have no chance in some of the canals.
They went through the Canal Du Midi with a lifting keel Southerly 38 and reported depths of 80cm at one point. We might make it with a draft of 3'8" which could be interesting but there is no way Hawkeye can.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 08:10   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
They went through the Canal Du Midi with a lifting keel Southerly 38 and reported depths of 80cm at one point. We might make it with a draft of 3'8" which could be interesting but there is no way Hawkeye can.

Pete

80 cm?? Yikes, that's less than 3' in American.

Must have been a dry year since the Canal du Midi is rated 1.5M

If you enter the Seine to Paris and go east to Vitry-le-Francois then south to Nancy to the Rhone that canal is rated to 1.8M. Still doesn't mean it will actually have that much water.

Past Paris then south through Loire to the Rhone is also rated at 1.8M so another option to consider.

However none of these would work for the OP even in the best of times.
Old 29-12-2019, 08:32   #8

Yes, we did it and enjoyed every minute of it. A good investment would be to buy The French Canal Route to the Mediterranean by Michael E Briant. We entered the canals at Calais and dropped our mast there. There were lots of free tyres discarded by yachts comIng the other way and we lined our yacht with them and we were glad we did as they saved us a few times from damage, where fenders would have beed inadequate. You will also need to be pretty good at cleaning the filter for the water for the engine and learn how to do it quickly so keep your eye on the temperature guage. We took the main route and came down the Rhone. It can be done in 2 weeks but we took six and enjoyed every minute of beautiful French countryside and even few days in Paris. Go for it and enjoy.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 08:49   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
80 cm?? Yikes, that's less than 3' in American.

Must have been a dry year since the Canal du Midi is rated 1.5M
I think they may have found mud or weed at that depth and whilst the French quote 1.5m I that is quite optimistic. Nick did say in an earlier episode that the Southerly draws 1m with the keel up.

These comments are from episode 108 readers: Looks like an interesting challenge, just need to retire first

Mark Holt: Took a Moody 31 through the Midi, try getting a shopping trolley from between bilge keels (1.2m draft) touched the bottom several times, also saw the VNF remove a stolen car, that had been pushed in! Also just to top it all off the lock keepers went on strike, alternate locks on alternate days, couldn’t move more than one lock a day while the strike was on French Canals very glamourised, by boating press but bloody hardwork, BTW I’ve also done Rhone, Soane canal du central & out via the Seine visiting Paris. Good luck guys, we enjoy your videos.

hi Pete I did it late September till end of Oct 2002, heading to the Med, just cleared the canal system before the clocks went back & the winter time schedule comes into action, also the VNF start a lot of maintenance, and quite a few canal side facilities close.. Tip, I avoided the Beziers lock staircase by diverting via Narbonne & used the Canal de la Robine, entered the Med at Port Nouvelle, cuts a big corner off.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 09:08   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423

Another couple that has done this trip is Paul and Sheryl Shard on Distant Shores. They have a youtube channel and likely would respond to questions. It has been a couple of years since they made the trip so that obviously won't be much of a help for current conditions.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 09:26   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

In order to find your draft you could use a variation of what i do to callibrate the offset on my depth instrument. On a rising tide i pick a gently sloping sandy area and go towards the coast slowly until i touch. Then is the time to view the depth instrument to note what it is showing so that you can then callibrate the offset.

Knowing where your depth sensor is located in the hull you will then know the distance between yr sensor and bottom of the keel (the offset). You should then be able to add the distance from yr sensor to the surface.

Alternatively when you ground in my example, simply use a lead-line or similar.

Third choice would be to measure the draft during a haulout.

I took my boat to the Med across Biscay and through Gib so am not knowledgeable for the French canals but if i remember correctly there is an alternative that might work for 1.80m draft and that is to enter the canals in SW France (Nr Bordeaux?) and cut across to the Med from there.

Otherwise get the bit between yr teeth and sail the boat round as i did. Less work than batting through so many locks in the canal system.

Best of luck
Andrew
Old 29-12-2019, 11:13   #12

Be aware that the depth of French canals as published are historical. Many of the canals are not dredged on a regular basis and therefore not as deep as reported. Also be aware that with your draft moving through the canals is not the biggest problem you will encounter but trying to moor at either a dock or the canal bank will be very problematic. You will have a very difficult reaching the shore. With your draft forget-about-it. Sail the Atlantic to Gib.
Canajun Eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 12:55   #13

Hi we crossed France via the Seine and Nivernais route in our Southerly 115 swing keel in 2016 min depth 1 metre but did make friends with a German couple with a 1.8 metre draft who followed the Bourgouin route and made it. We did it over six months and used the carte fluvials. We bought new but they were last updated in 2010. We blogged it. Just google Hermionedoes@blogspot.com. You might have to scroll back to the beginning as we have done some since then. A worthwhile trip. We had our mast transported from Rouen to Port St Louis. Made deck work easier through the 239 locks.

Dom K.
Tumbet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 15:20   #14

Boat: Cabo Rico NE 400

Sorry ... but forget it with that draft!
We have done it both south bound (October/November) and northbound (July/August/ September) and we draw 1.5M ... WHATEVER you are told about depth are BIG FAT LIES!
So many times we asked about depth for 1.5M 'PAS PROBLEME' we were told! As a young lock-keeper told us, "actually when a Frenchman says "PAS PROBLEM" ... there is a problem"! We had traversed the tunnel, went to tie ... went aground showing 1.3m ... the lock guy pointed to a depth measure showing 1.9m ... yea right!
The depths AT THE VERY VERY BEST are as charted or posted, ploughing and hitting bottom just tooooo many times make it a stressful passage and really not worth it at all.
We really, really enjoy an adventure, but this was just a huge disappointment ... frankly those cute little French villages with bars and little grocery stores just aren't there. Particularly in the north ... more closed shops, closed bars and food-banks than cute patios. The mooring facilities throughout are sketchy, even Dijon only has a scrubby spot to tie up with a lot of live aboards living on 'junk' . Paris is fantastic, but the marina, not so much. To dock there they asked for a photo of our yacht ... quite why we have no idea. There are some half-decent craft, but most are live aboards on run-down junk that have not moved in years! And there is absolutely no security.
Oh! Don't forget to check every canal, every day ... they close due to lack of water depth!
Got the picture ... my advice get a barge for the canal and ship your yacht to the MED!
Chanticleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 15:25   #15

Boat: Cabo Rico NE 400

Forgot to add, and I appreciate it is not your objective, but cruise the canals of The Netherlands, 'Standing Maste route' or mast down. Bit flat (!) but just the best!
Chanticleer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canal, enc, grass