Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2019, 15:07   #16

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Ft Lauderdale to Ft Myers

From Key West to Fort Myers you are far enough offshore that it should not be an issue, except close to Key West. From the Marathon area you run right through the thickest part of the crab pot fields, just avoid that area if at all possible.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 15:18   #17

Boat: Outremer 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
From Key West to Fort Myers you are far enough offshore that it should not be an issue, except close to Key West. From the Marathon area you run right through the thickest part of the crab pot fields, just avoid that area if at all possible.
Thanks, this would just be a run along the KW to Fort Myers route.
Cayuse51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 15:25   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI

We have been both ways several times. Even at my age I love to visit Key West, the best party place we have ever enjoyed! Just hang on to your spousal unit or _____? and enjoy!
Tom & Barbara SATORI Cal 46
oldcal46skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:17   #19

Boat: Nonsuch 30Ultra Grand Banks 36

Just did the Stuart>Ft. Myers via Okeechobee last Thursday, Friday, Sat.

2.5 days in a Beneteau 36CC. No problem
MultiCountryDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:23   #20

Boat: magna 43

Charts going the Key's route call it the steamboat channel But the Okeechobee is very simple and weather and pots should not be a problem
david knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:00   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayuse51 View Post
How bad are the crab pots along the route from the Northwest Channel out of Key West up to Ft. Myers?

I have done many deliveries between the east and west coast of FL. General rule is that once depth is over 10 fathoms, the crab pots stop. As long as you have polarized sunglasses and keep watch they are not bad.

Most crabbers lay ins straight line so they are easy to take down one side or the other. And yes there are pots off NW channel by KW. Perhaps that area was closed when the other poster went through.

But this is NOT a delivery. So why not enjoy the scenery? Florida Bay and Cape Sable are unique areas in Fl. By Cape Sable, anchor offshore and run the AC since the bigs will find you.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:40   #22

Thank you for all your replies and ideas..
I was thinking of running outside the intercoastal down to Plantation Key then cross into the Gulf ( bridge says 27” vertical I will have to double check height OR take Whale Harbor Channel height ?? ) and run down the gulf to Marathon....I would rather have to anchor for the night on the gulf side in case I can’t make Marathon...Spend the night then straight north to FT Myers...
Anything wrong with this plan?
Giacomo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 12:11   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giacomo56 View Post
Thank you for all your replies and ideas..
I was thinking of running outside the intercoastal down to Plantation Key then cross into the Gulf ( bridge says 27” vertical I will have to double check height OR take Whale Harbor Channel height ?? ) and run down the gulf to Marathon....I would rather have to anchor for the night on the gulf side in case I can’t make Marathon...Spend the night then straight north to FT Myers...
Anything wrong with this plan?

You can run outside- just stay west of the GS. After the Port of Miami set your next waypoint for Hawk Channel. Yes there are crab pots, but you are clear of the GS. I have never gone south when East of Hawk- but northbound the GS get close. So choose wisely.

Going south down the west side of the Keys is doable, but you have to mind the channel and turns and traffic. Hawk is easier.

I have anchored in Hawk behind some of the shallower spots where folks snorkel. Not the best nights sleep- but beats untangling a crab pot.

Look at the route you are planning and read up on the anchorages. If it is a calm night, you can sleep almost anywhere off the magenta line.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 15:52   #24

Thank you again for all your help with a newbie...I found a nice web charting program. Navionics..... looking at what I am planning, running all on the ocean side till Channel 5 then crossing into the gulf and spending the night somewhere around there, it seems like about 100 nautical miles....again I have a 46’ power yacht .... is 100 miles doable during the 3rd week of November all in one day?
Giacomo56 is offline   Reply With Quote