Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2019, 08:29   #1

Ft Lauderdale to Ft Myers

First time poster, sorry if this question was asked. I am moving my boat with a 4’ draft from Ft Lauderdale to Ft Myers.... I really do not want to go around Key West.....what is the safest route (shortest) through the keys with my boat...46’ motor yacht with a fly bridge ( Fairline 46’ Phantom )....also what is the nautical time would it take to make this journey?
I was thinking of spending the night in one of the marinas in the Keys breaking the ride into 2 days? Any marina recommendations?
Thank you ... this is an excellent site.
Giacomo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:27   #2

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35
Re: Ft Lauderdale to Ft Myers

Check out the ICW. I've used it several times, Bay side through the keys. I forget the name or number of the channel that will take you to the west coast of florida.
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:29   #3

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

Channel five?
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:02   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Unless there is something you want to see in the Keys, why go that route and take the time and fuel it will require when, given your boat, you could quite easily take the cross Florida route from Stuart, through Lake Okeechobee; and, down the Caloosahatchee River directly to Ft. Myers? You could easily do that route in 3-4 days and save a ton on fuel with good stops along the way. It "ain't" that hard.

For more see (click on) Okeechobee Waterway.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 13:07   #5

Looking at a map, seems to me the difference between the two is somewhat identical....I would think I could easily do Ft. Lauderdale to Marathon spend the night next day to Ft Myers...at this point in my life I really don’t care about fuel usage, otherwise I would have bought a sailboat.... also I want to see fuel consumption, handling etc etc.. maybe bring it up to top speed for a bit.... you know have some fun...👍 is there a path to cross into the gulf before Marathon ?
Giacomo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 14:18   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Easy peezy— out Port Everglades, turn right set MIAMI sea bouy as waypoint. From there head to Marathon. Or go in an sleep and by Virginia Key and come out by Stiltsville, the. continue south. Top off at Marathon, head across and then up... Can also refuel Marco- just watch channel and crazy zig-zag on the way in.

Consider not running at night as there are usually 3.7 zillion crab pots, or sometimes less.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:03   #7

Boat: Catalina 470

I would not recommend trying to cross Florida Bay this time of year. Stone crab season just started, and the bay will be a literal minefield of crab pots. I did this exact trip in reverse about three years ago, and got hung up on pots in the middle of the night, fortunately while under sail so no damage to the prop. You should seriously consider going all the way to Key West, just to avoid the worst of the pots.

Regards,
David
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:09   #8

Boat: Watkins 29

Once you make it to Marathon, take the Channel 5 route to Cape Sable. Its safe and easy...but like everyone else has said, crab traps are a bitch. Personally Id take the cross Florida route from Ft. Lauderdale up to Stuart, then the Okeechobee waterway over to the west coast. You will be motoring most of the way, but its easy, calm and safe. I did it a year ago over the Christmas holiday weekend. I suggest not doing as I did. Every marina was closed for the holiday except Indian Town.

https://www.florida-backroads-travel...-waterway.html
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:24   #9

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Cross at 7-mile bridge, Marathon. Good place to stop is Burdines Marina just north of the bridge on the Atlantic side.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:11   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

My frequent path for this route with my 4'3" draft was via Channel Five at the 65' fixed bridge between Long Key and Lower Matecumbe. From this bridge proceed through Yacht Channel and leave Sprigger Bank to your port and then Schooner Bank to your starboard. You will see pilings along this route that mark the border of the Everglades National Park. If you're concerned about trap float lines fouling your prop, you can stay just inside the park where the traps are not allowed. There's some shoaling near the banks and unlight markers, so I always took this as a daylight run with good anchorages at Lower Matecumbe Bight and Little Shark River.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:47   #11

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giacomo56 View Post
Looking at a map, seems to me the difference between the two is somewhat identical....I would think I could easily do Ft. Lauderdale to Marathon spend the night next day to Ft Myers...at this point in my life I really don’t care about fuel usage, otherwise I would have bought a sailboat.... also I want to see fuel consumption, handling etc etc.. maybe bring it up to top speed for a bit.... you know have some fun...👍 is there a path to cross into the gulf before Marathon ?

===

You don't have to go all the way to Marathon unless you need to make a fuel stop. Our trawler draws 5 1/2 ft. We follow Biscayne Bay south to Angelfish Creek and then take Hawk Channel to the Channel 5 bridge. From there you follow the so called Yacht Channel north along the edge of Florida Bay and Everglades Park. You can refuel at Everglades City if needed. Then it's an easy run north past Marco Island and Naples, and on to Ft Myers. You will have no depth issues at all if you pay close attention to your charts and aids to navigation.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:52   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Unless there is something you want to see in the Keys, why go that route and take the time and fuel it will require when, given your boat, you could quite easily take the cross Florida route from Stuart, through Lake Okeechobee; and, down the Caloosahatchee River directly to Ft. Myers? You could easily do that route in 3-4 days and save a ton on fuel with good stops along the way. It "ain't" that hard.

For more see (click on) Okeechobee Waterway.

FWIW...
Amen, The Okeechobee ditch can be done leisurely in three days. Check in advance that there isn't any lock maintenance planned.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 14:55   #13

Charts are a great idea.
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 14:59   #14

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchaway View Post
Charts are a great idea.
Charts are a must, but don't show things like crab pot minefields. The OP is asking for local knowledge, a very wise thing to do.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 15:00   #15

Boat: Outremer 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
I would not recommend trying to cross Florida Bay this time of year. Stone crab season just started, and the bay will be a literal minefield of crab pots. I did this exact trip in reverse about three years ago, and got hung up on pots in the middle of the night, fortunately while under sail so no damage to the prop. You should seriously consider going all the way to Key West, just to avoid the worst of the pots.

Regards,
David

How bad are the crab pots along the route from the Northwest Channel out of Key West up to Ft. Myers?
Cayuse51 is offline   Reply With Quote