Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2020, 12:34   #1

Boat: Grand Soleil 52
Garmin AIS600 - repair old or buy new?

I bought a new Garmin VHF and a Garmin AIS in 2014. None of them worked for a long time and both were sent for repair. Garmin confirmed both had failures and they sent me new units under warranty. The VHF has worked fine after that, but I never installed the AIS before now. But now it is completely dead again. I have contacted Garmin again but they say they now want 378 euros to repair it.

So, what would you recommend and why? Repair the Garmin which has really never worked, or buy a new shiny one (of a different brand) and which one? The broken AIS is AIS600.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can repair the Garmin myself? As Garmin already can tell the price for repair before they have checked the unit, it is probably a common problem.
Old 03-03-2020, 12:49   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Garmin AIS600 - repair old or buy new?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundOfSilence View Post
I bought a new Garmin VHF and a Garmin AIS in 2014. None of them worked for a long time and both were sent for repair. Garmin confirmed both had failures and they sent me new units under warranty. The VHF has worked fine after that, but I never installed the AIS before now. But now it is completely dead again. I have contacted Garmin again but they say they now want 378 euros to repair it.

So, what would you recommend and why? Repair the Garmin which has really never worked, or buy a new shiny one (of a different brand) and which one? The broken AIS is AIS600.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can repair the Garmin myself? As Garmin already can tell the price for repair before they have checked the unit, it is probably a common problem.

IMHO only one AIS to have Vesper 6000 with Wi-Fi. It will take the proprietary data from Garmin and send it out in NMEA0183 format, that any software can read
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:21   #3

What is wrong with the Garmin? If it’s new in box it should be working.

Have you plugged a laptop into it with their software?
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:37   #4

Boat: Grand Soleil 52

Hi smac,

After I got the AIS600 back from Garmin 4 years ago I didn't mount it until recently because of other more important problems. Now nothing happens when I plug in all the cables, so it appears to be completely dead. There are no lights in any of the indicators. I checked the power cable and it has voltage. As the unit has no power, nothing happens when I connect the computer to it, I tried that as well.

As I don't want to pay almost 400 euros to get it repaired with Garmin, I am now between opening it and see if I can do anything myself or save me the hassle and just buy a new AIS. If anyone have opened these or know a possible solution I would be very glad to hear about it.

I was actually just looking at one model now, it's surprisingly cheap, around 600 euros for a model called Onwa KP-39A. It's a class B+ and if I mount it by the chart table I can use it as a screen showing wind or the GPS coordinates. I'm not so interested in the K-charts as I use OpenCPN at the chart table on my laptop.
Old 09-03-2020, 00:04   #5

Fully agree!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
IMHO only one AIS to have Vesper 6000 with Wi-Fi. It will take the proprietary data from Garmin and send it out in NMEA0183 format, that any software can read
skipperearly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, garmin