Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2017, 07:50   #1

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25
Garmin Bluechart Mobile Discontinued

Found a thread about Garmin buying Navionics, but didn't see much info specific to Bluechart Mobile.

We have a helm-mounted B&G and use Bluechart on an Ipad as a backup/cross-reference. The biggest advantage to Bluechart was integrated ActiveCaptain info. A couple days ago, Bluechart starts auto-deleting all it's ActiveCaptain data and requiring it to be re-downloaded (which takes about 20 min). Seems to do it at 15 min intervals even though the option for "update ActiveCaptain data every 15 min" is off. Sometimes it even stops displaying a bunch of other chart data until the re-download is complete. In trying to troubleshoot, I find that Garmin says that Bluechart Mobile is discontinued.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/114005

I understand that they are going through some changes, but it would be nice if they didn't program in a crippling glitch right before they stop supporting the app.

Anyone else having trouble with Bluechart, and find any fixes? Just looking to continue using an app that we paid $45 for just a couple months ago.
wyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 08:35   #2

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21
Re: Garmin Bluechart Mobile Discontinued

Sorry, we've become a rental society. I bought a new laptop, in December, the software has expired and I must pay for a years right to use, then again next year. Thank you, MICROSOFT. "How can we force them to buy new?"
"Implant a bug, or insure it's no longer compatible.!"

Just my 2 cents, and worth what you paid for it.

I do share your frustration.
Try buying a John Deere, then being forced to go to John Deere to by the rights to use the equipment, before it will operate.
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 15:16   #3

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

I thought App was gone for good. I just downloaded the new one which has Active Captain but you have to buy charts. I bought the $49 Fishing Hotspots and doesn’t have Cumberland River just highways. You have to buy $200worth of charts now to get Active Captain plus the $49 I’ve already thrown away!!!

Now I just checked again and it works -last I tried it said needed to be upgraded by developer and wouldn’t open.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 16:00   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Just checked, mine seems to work? It took a few sec or download AC, then nothing.
I checked the maps, North America which is all I have was still there
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 08:40   #5

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Sounds like we need to find a good alternative to Garmin, who is apparently becoming excessively greedy.
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 09:04   #6

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

If you get to La Paz, BCS, MX, you could maybe persuade sailmaker Isabel to teach you celestial navigation.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 10:22   #7

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

There was another thread on this recently. In my case, I find that Bluecharts still works on my iPad, but no additional charts can be purchased - which sucks, because I'm planning a Thornless Path trip to USVI, and I only have East Coast US & Bahamas charts. I also noticed the Active Captain update occurring on my iPad, but all AC data that should be there seems to still be there.

So my response to this is I have downloaded iSailor to the iPad and am learning to use it. I have yet to spend any time learning how to use AC not integrated to Bluecharts, which is the only way I've ever used it, but I probably will. I am very disappointed in Garmin, and will not be investing in their hardware or software going forward if I can avoid it, which I suspect I can.

That said, does anyone know of any way to get Bluecharts on something with a decent screen size without buying a new chartplotter (I have Furuno) or a Garmin device like an Echomap 92. Not really feeling like shelling out $600+ to Garmin just now after having just been abused by them.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 10:29   #8

Boat: 2019 Fountaine Pajot Saba 50'

I just found this...

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/573254#overview

Downloading it now, but it looks like this is intended to replace BlueChart mobile.

***Update***

Scratch that - It appears there is no way to use charts from Bluechart Mobile in the Active Captain App. It requires you to connect to an approved (Garmin) chartplotter. Very disappointing as I really liked the Bluechart Mobile app (and my purchased charts.)

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 10:46   #9

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmSeasQuest View Post
Scratch that - It appears there is no way to use charts from Bluechart Mobile in the Active Captain App. It requires you to connect to an approved (Garmin) chartplotter. Very disappointing as I really liked the Bluechart Mobile app (and my purchased charts.)
Selling something and then making it useless sure sounds EVIL to me.
Almost fraudulent.
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 11:08   #10

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Yup, looks like we iPad Bluecharts users are just screwed. At least I got the use of it on my iPad during my trip to the Abacos this year. But it's iSailor for me from here on out.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 11:17   #11

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

This makes me anxious about updating my Garmin 5208 with any new software downloads.
If they suddenly make it a "Subscription" to use the chartplotter, I'd be really pissed.

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 11:26   #12

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
This makes me anxious about updating my Garmin 5208 with any new software downloads.
If they suddenly make it a "Subscription" to use the chartplotter, I'd be really pissed.
I think a subscription model would put them in hot water the first time someone in a no internet zone loses thier chartplotter because the they can't subscribe........

Off topic........I hate Adobes subscription model it assumes I have good internet to use photoshop.....
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 15:25   #13

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

For now, it seems with Garmin we must wait an see. It is not clear how they plan to align their strategy, integrating ActiveCaptain, Navionics and their own mapping product. They will come up probably with a new (paid!) software suite, but I do not see them going off the map(!).

I was using Skipper app on my Ipad for accessing Active Captain data. Till October 2017, I was still able to sync the data regularly. Guess what, they just killed that service now.
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 18:40   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

My gut feeling is that there wasn’t as much profit from an app as opposed to a plotter, and let’s be honest, as far as Nav goes, the app on an IPad was as good as a plotter, but because it was connected to the “net” and updated AC regularly in some ways it was superior to a plotter.
It was getting to the point that I was ready to make my IPads primary Nav with the plotter used for Radar and other things.
As it was whenever I got into tight Nav situations I pulled out the Ipad and read the AC comments about which side of the channel to favor etc. my plotter didn’t provide that info.
I’d bet that the new Garmin plotters will, but at a price that is much greater than any app.
They bought AC to make money with it, and the money isn’t with apps.
My opinion only of course
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 19:25   #15

Boat: Rafiki 37

I just updated my AC database on the Bluechart app on my iPad, and it seems to be working just fine.

I don’t use any purchased charts. I only use the pre-loaded global map. So maybe I’m not threat to Garmin’s quarterly earnings (since I’m not using it like a plotter).

Tags
garmin, mob