Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2017, 08:18   #16

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Garmin buys Navionics

The value in the tech acquisitions rarely has to do with technology and more to do with buying the customers and the engineering resources. Maybe the capital infrastructure but I doubt navionics has anything worthwhile.

If it so happens that they can efficiently merge the technology (unlikely) then that's great but otherwise you are better off [budget wise] just starting fresh with the knowledge of the Engineers to take the best ideas from Navionics and merge into the Garmin product. Perhaps both companies have a solid architecture but I'm betting that Garmin has a better architecture overall because of their experience in a wide range of fields.

I really don't think that this is a technology move as it's easy to add features to counter navionics even if there are patent issues. The only thing that I think that Navionics has the upper hand in is the Sonar Charts... nobody uses the Garmin equivelent.

So I think the purchase has more to do with talent acquisition and elimination of competition in a politically friendly environment.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 13:25   #17

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Garmin was always going to be limited in a leisure marine sense as only Garmin MFD can use garmin maps. Now with the acquisition of Navionics, they've gained Raymarine, Simrad, and Furono customers too.

Open up Garmin hardware to Navionics charts, and they might even gain more hardware customers too.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 08:33   #18

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

Everyone's talking about the apps and the technology as the key components of the acquisition. I think the big news here is the content. If you don't support quality cartography for the areas I want to cruise, all the fancy apps in the world are useless. Garmin does a fine job with their hardware, and I know a lot of folks who really like their approach to the UI. My only hesitation in going with Garmin has been their limited cartography. Garmin takes an approach somewhat like Apple. They like to own their content. You can debate the pros/cons of that approach all you like, but generally it will result in a more polished user experience. My question is which MFDs will support the new charts, and when. This could shape up to be a game changer.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 08:44   #19

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Wow. This is big news. Basically, two competing cartography brands merging.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, less competition is usually a bad thing. On the other hand, having multiple, incompatible sources of cartography data hasn't been good either, especially when choosing hardware.

Navionics and BlueChart both have their strengths and weaknesses. A combination could be good.

Politically, this is probably a good time in the US for monopolistic practices.
+1

My thoughts exactly. When I've chartered in the Bahamas, I've often been frustrated that the boats have always used Navionics instead of Garmin. My Garmin iPhone app is way better. Hopefully, an acquisition will lead to the best of both. I agree however, that monopoly power is often not best for customers in the long run.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 01:27   #20

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Garmin was always going to be limited in a leisure marine sense as only Garmin MFD can use garmin maps. Now with the acquisition of Navionics, they've gained Raymarine, Simrad, and Furono customers too.

Open up Garmin hardware to Navionics charts, and they might even gain more hardware customers too.
Not in favor of this as leads to less competition. less competition is bad for the consumer --

as for the above it could be that Garmin will neglect charting for Raymarine ect equipment and force all to move to Garmin equipment only - want up to date charts you have to buy Garmin equipment - not a good scenario
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 01:45   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesandjesse View Post
I doubt that this is good news. End of comment.
Quite, is Garmin a future Death Star builder?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 04:31   #22

Boat: B24

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
I have a difficult time seeing this as being in the consumer's favor.
I'm hoping you are wrong -- but I have to wonder why a hardware purveyor would be interested in keeping the Nav-app running on my tablet...
Old 31-10-2017, 05:03   #23
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Garmin's policies of abandoning and outright refusing to support expensive hardware and products after just 3-4 years, and creating needlessly crippled hardware and software within their products put them onto my personal and permanent corporate "do not patronize" list a long time ago.

I have steadfastly refused to buy any Garmin product for some time now. Lately, It has been a sad time as I have needed to distance myself from ActiveCaptain because of the recent acquisition, and now I guess I will now have to look elsewhere for my charting software as well.

This is an unfortunate time for marine charting technology even as its potential is reaching a new high. People no longer have many choices when a company like Garmin forces you to deal with only them or go without. My hope is that this will eventually cause a massive market vacuum which will be the impetus for new and lesser-known marine charting companies to grow into it.

Simply put, this sucks.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 05:11   #24

Boat: B24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
My hope is that this will eventually cause a massive market vacuum which will be the impetus for new and lesser-known marine charting companies to grow into it... (
This is what has happened in the experimental aviation world, at least in the U.S. -- actually if you look in the cockpit of your next airliner you may see the crew using tablet-based nav-software... lots of "mom-n-pop" navigation operations (well maybe not that primitive) in the civil aviation world...
Old 31-10-2017, 05:17   #25

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrng View Post
I'm hoping you are wrong -- but I have to wonder why a hardware purveyor would be interested in keeping the Nav-app running on my tablet...
That's easy. Growth.

Corporations don't exist to produce a product people need for a fair profit. They exist to grow the stockholder's value, preferably every quarter.

Fixed-mount hardware is a very profitable, but stable market. The growth is in mobile devices.

I'd be more concerned that the fixed-mount devices will suffer at the expense of mobile. In fact, I'd argue it's already happened, as myself and several others have pointed out how willing Garmin is to drop support for these and focus on next year's model.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 05:33   #26
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrng View Post
This is what has happened in the experimental aviation world, at least in the U.S. -- actually if you look in the cockpit of your next airliner you may see the crew using tablet-based nav-software... lots of "mom-n-pop" navigation operations (well maybe not that primitive) in the civil aviation world...
I'm also hoping that Navico and other fixed-mount hardware producers are going to heed the call to action and make their own platforms more open to installing open-source and downloadable charts onto them now that they and their end users are being forced to use the competition's charting software or (almost) nothing.
Old 31-10-2017, 05:35   #27

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

I'm not sure I can find anything good about this unless you don't like choices...
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 05:59   #28

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
I'm also hoping that Navico and other fixed-mount hardware producers are going to heed the call to action and make their own platforms more open to installing open-source and downloadable charts onto them now that they and their end users are being forced to use the competition's charting software or (almost) nothing.
Very good point. If their choice is between their competitors' charts or government charts, it may work in our favor!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:16   #29
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Very good point. If their choice is between their competitors' charts or government charts, it may work in our favor!
And by "government charts" what we are talking about here are charts already bought and paid for by the US taxpayers.

It is great that we can download charts for free for waterways within the United States, but the USN is using charts they have compiled over the years that span the entire planet. I'm not expecting top secret or classified information here -just access worldwide marine charts of adequate resolution and accuracy for which we have already paid for.

This should be a simple FOIA issue if you ask me. But what do I know?
Old 04-11-2017, 11:24   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosiersailor View Post
I'm not sure I can find anything good about this unless you don't like choices...
So true. Garmin has some great engineers and products. BUT the company is run by bean counters and monopolizing to maximize profit is number one, not our convenience or budgets.
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin, navionics