Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2020, 08:48   #1

Boat: Colegate 26
Garmin GMI 20 instead of dedicated instruments?

Has anyone installed Garmin GMI 20 instruments in place of dedicated counterparts such as the GNX Wind or GNX 20? Having a highly customizable display seems very appealing. But the dedicated instruments are likely more visible and less confusing in rare conditions where visibility is poor and split second information is key.

We're just coastal cruising our sailing catamaran which currently has dated Raymarine gear with dedicated speed/depth display and dedicated wind display (in addition to chart plotter and autopilot control display). I'm trying to decide if replacing like-for-like (only newer) is prudent, or if I should take the opportunity to upgrade those two displays to the new hotness.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:34   #2

Boat: C&C 34
Re: Garmin GMI 20 instead of dedicated instruments?

If all your data is NMEA 2000 the GMI20 is going to give you way more info in a much more presentable display than the GNX 20.

That is the only independent instrument besides the chart plotter that we have on the boat. Completely customizable and you can pretty much display just about any NMEA200 data you want.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:06   #3

Boat: Colegate 26

And you're able to view it in basically all conditions? It's so marginally more expensive that cost is a non-issue.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 13:04   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I replaced all my instruments including all cables and sensors two years ago. I chose the GMI20 primarily as my wind instrument display but it has access to everything on the NMEA. I also chose to install an i50 Tridata just because it has most everything I want in one display. It’s really a matter of what makes you happy.
The Garmin Doppler Radar and their MFD’s are fantastic.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:52   #5

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

I am a big fan of having a separate depth and engine temperature gauge, along with an engine temperature warning light. This helps to keep those two pieces of information from getting lost in the myriad of display data in a MFD.

Having said that, given that you are on a cat, your depth is probably less of an issue than in a fixed keel mono. I would leave the depth gauge in place as a stand alone instrument, assuming it still works and you don't need the space for something else. It won't cost you anything. There is no reason you can't have both.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 10:12   #6

Boat: Hunter 34

If you have older Raymarine, but still have a NMEA2K network, you should look at the I70s displays from Raymarine. They are very similar to the GMI 20 in that they are a mini MFD, just from Raymarine instead of Garmin. Might help with compatability issues.
Artey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 15:19   #7

Boat: Outbound 46

We have a couple of GMI0's. By and large we like them, but viewing through polarized sunglasses off-axis is not easy (or even possible for my old eyes)
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 00:35   #8

Boat: Catalina 30

Our boat has a GMI-10, GMI-20, 9" SIMRAD EVO2 and 7"B&G Vulcan 7F. The GMIs primarily show depth & wind, the EVO is my primary chart plotter and the Vulcan is my inside chart plotter and 99% of the accessories attach to it. (GPS, Transducers, etc.) The GMI-20 is very customizable as to display data and layout. (I believe 3 sub-sections displaying 3 different datasets is max.)
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin, men, rum