Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2022, 18:37   #1

Boat: 1980 Hunter Cherubini 33ft
Getting to the Gulf

I have a 1980 hunter 33 on greens ferry lake,AR. I'm looking to get to the Gulf and the options seem trucking it to Conway, AR then the Arkansas River to the missippi. Or trucking to the confluence of miss and Ohio River then down to mobile. Anyone with thoughts ?
wasi1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 08:52   #2

Re: Getting to the Gulf

Hey everyone. Looks over a hundred views but no response. No one has any thoughts on this?
Old 09-06-2022, 10:00   #3

Conway/Little Rock would be the shortest trailering but then you are on the Miss. with minimal services and a lot of commercial traffic. Certainly doable if the motor is in good shape and with the current at your back, I would guess 4-5 days runs to get down around New Orleans. Only question would be range under power. There aren't a lot of fuel stops on the Miss.

If you are going to go to the confluence with the Ohio, bypass it and go straight to Kentucky Lake or somewhere else further south on the Tennessee River (maybe 250miles towing). Then there are plentiful facilities. Current and commercial traffic will be much more manageable.

Of course, once you are towing a few hundred miles, would it make more sense to just run due south for 380 odd miles and drop her in on the gulf.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 11:08   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Conway/Little Rock would be the shortest trailering but then you are on the Miss. with minimal services and a lot of commercial traffic. Certainly doable if the motor is in good shape and with the current at your back, I would guess 4-5 days runs to get down around New Orleans. Only question would be range under power. There aren't a lot of fuel stops on the Miss.

If you are going to go to the confluence with the Ohio, bypass it and go straight to Kentucky Lake or somewhere else further south on the Tennessee River (maybe 250miles towing). Then there are plentiful facilities. Current and commercial traffic will be much more manageable.

Of course, once you are towing a few hundred miles, would it make more sense to just run due south for 380 odd miles and drop her in on the gulf.
Agree.

The Mississippi can be a dangerous place for a small under powered sailboat. Lose power at a bad time and you could be in a very bad situation. Not to mention its a slow trip in a small boat.

Tow her Mobile and lauch her there.

Though...running the rivers would be more of an adventure. Just fully understand what you are getting into and be well prepared.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 11:27   #5

Another option would be the 264 mile truck to:
https://shmarinas.com/locations/safe-harbor-aqua-yacht/

Then down the Tenn-Tom. Much safer than the Mississippi River.
Wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 12:16   #6

Thanks to those who replied. Your responses were pretty much what I expected.....stay off the mighty miss!
I've watched a number of YouTubers that take the ten-tom. Looks like a nice journey. Thanks again
Old 10-06-2022, 12:41   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasi1961 View Post
Thanks to those who replied. Your responses were pretty much what I expected.....stay off the mighty miss!
I've watched a number of YouTubers that take the ten-tom. Looks like a nice journey. Thanks again
I want a reliable motor and treat it with respect (ie: learn the rules for dealing barge traffic and as much as possible stay out of their way) but it's very much a viable option.

If you are paying someone to haul and looking at $500 to get to Little Rock or $5000 to get to the Tenn-Tom, I would probably run the Mississippi.

We've done the stretch from St. Louis to the Ohio River a couple of times and 100-120mile days are pretty viable in a slow boat because you have the current pushing you along. Also helps a lot with motoring range.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 12:52   #8

Boat: 1983 Catalina 30 5411 STD Rig

I'm heading down the Arkansas and Mississippi rivers from Oklahoma in October '23. Three people from my marina have made the trip on sailboats. They didn't have any problems other than mosquitos from leaving too early in the year.
fox9988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2022, 00:11   #9

Boat: 1983 Catalina 30 5411 STD Rig

I spoke to someone yesterday from the Little Rock area who has made this trip several times. He confirmed that I should expect no problems out of the ordinary, fuel range being the most common concern.
fox9988 is offline   Reply With Quote