Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 04:41   #1

GNSS Vulnerabilities and Solutions 2009 Conference, Baska, Krk Island, Croatia

On behalf of the Royal Institute of Navigation, London, UK and the Institute of Engineering Surveying and Space Geodesy, University of Nottingham, UK, I have a pleasure in inviting you to contribute to the 2nd GNSS Vulnerabilities and Solutions 2009 Conference to be held on 2 - 5 September 2009 in Baska, Krk Island, Croatia.

This four-day event aims to gather GNSS experts and focuses on GNSS problems and vulnerabilities, as well as to developments aiming to improve the accuracy and reliability of GNSS. Unique environment of Baska and its natural resources and rich history, combined with friendly hospitality will again create an inspiring atmosphere for ideas and knowledge exchange, well known to those who attended the last year's conference.

Two special sessions will be organised in order to address particular causes of GNSS vulnerabilities: Space Weather and Ionospheric Effects on GNSS, and Safety Critical Applications (including AIS, marine navigation, emergency situations management, homeland security, air navigation systems, and Intelligent Transport Systems). The rest of the conference will address the other causes of GNSS vulnerabilities and means of their over-comings, such as:

- GNSS interference and management
- navigation algorithms
- core GNSS system vulnerabilities
- GNSS augmentation system vulnerabilities
- tropospheric impact on GNSS
- multipath management
- design of user equipment
- system integration issues related to vulnerability
- user experience - applications

Extended abstracts should be submitted to Dr Renato Filjar, FRIN by e-mail no later than 1 May, 2009, as described in the enclosed Call for Papers (http://tinyurl.com/coc5h4). Visit a dedicated Twitter channel of the GNSS Vulnerabilities and Solutions 2009 Conference at: Dr Renato Filjar (BaskaGNSS2009) on Twitter.

Special arrangement is already prepared for conference participants, that includes discounted accommodation price and attendance to numerous social events, held at the time considered a high season on Northern Adriatic. More details can be found in the enclosed Call for Papers. With improved air services from European cities to Krk Island (http://www.rijeka-airport.hr/schedule.asp), the organisers expect the conference to be both important and enjoyable event.

You are kindly invited to join the leading GNSS experts and discuss the most important issues related to further exploitations of satellite navigation systems in the wonderful Mediterranean environment of Northern Adriatic. In addition, the organising committee kindly appreciate your efforts in informing your colleagues about the event.

Looking forward to meeting you in Baška!

Kindest regards,

Renato

Dr Renato Filjar, FRIN MIET
The Royal Institute of Navigation
Croatian Branch
E-mail: renato.filjar@yahoo.co.uk
satnavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:06   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
GNSS = Global Navigation Satellite System

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:02   #3

Boat: Seawind 1000XL "Crew Rest"
Alert

If the Europeans are having a GNSS conference and there's only one operational system in the World, this sounds like a spot of Yank bashing to me!!

Cheers
Sandyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:03   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyh View Post
If the Europeans are having a GNSS conference and there's only one operational system in the World, this sounds like a spot of Yank bashing to me!!
Cheers
Admitting that a system has vulnerabilities, and seeking solutions, is “bashing”?

BTW: the US NAVSTAR Global Positioning System (GPS) is not the only GNSS.
The Russians have their GLONASS, the Europeans GALILEO, and the Chinese BEIDOU or COMPASS systems. Admittedly, the US GPS is the only system fully operational at this time.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:55   #5

Boat: Seawind 1000XL "Crew Rest"
Gord, let's wait and see the findings of the conference. The papers should be available online.

Cheers
Sandyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:52   #6

Boat: Riviera 35
The United States of America, is the richest most powerful demoratic Country that has ever existed on the face of our planet. I feel it is almost a personal entitlement of mine to do a bit of Yank bashing every now and then - comes with the territory. But equally, let's also recognise and acknowledge the good too.

How would we feel, if the USA never existed, and we were living under the yoke of Adolph Hitler or Soviet Communism right now?

Better to make an input to the debate, rather than dimiss it. I would, but I know jack all about GNSS other than as a grateful user. But I'm sure there are those on here that do.
A reasonable person, accepts the Status Quo. An unreasonable person, wants to change it. All progress is therefore made by unreasonable people. Me, I'm just apathetic about the status quo. I think we want it back.
MoonlightShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:27   #7
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Think of the day we have receivers that can use every one of those systems! I hear Glonass is being resurrected and Galileo will probably see the light one day too. I don't know too much about the Chinese one, anyone here who can give it's status?

I know that there were receivers that could use both GPS and Glonass but this was before the Russian system deteriated.

An important issue is that GPS is owned and operated by the military (allowing us to use it a bit.... for now) while Galileo will be 100% civilian and available for everyone at full precision.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:33   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi
...I don't know too much about the Chinese one, anyone here who can give it's status ...
INSIDE GNSS has numerous excellent articles, about all 4 systems:
Inside GNSS | Engineering Solutions from the Global Navigation Satellite System Community

About "Compass":

"China’s Compass (Beidou 2) Navigation Satellite System (CNSS) has manifested little change since the launch of its first medium Earth orbit (MEO) satellite in April 2007. Four geostationary satellites from the prototype Beidou system had previously been launched, the first on October 31, 2000 ..."
About Compass/Beidou | Inside GNSS

"... China plans to launch three Compass satellites this year and seven more next year to provide a regional capability for Compass/Beidou, followed by completion of the full 30-MEO, 5-GEO constellation after 2015 and before 2020 ..."
Munich Summit Highlights Satellite Navigation Plans, GNSS Program Struggles | Inside GNSS

"An official with China's main space program contractor told China Central Television (CCTV) on January 18 that the country will complete a 30+ satellite Compass (Beidou) constellation by 2015 ..."
Compass/Beidou | Inside GNSS

Old 06-04-2009, 02:02   #9
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Wow, that means it's gonna happen soon enough to start saving for a new receiver ;-)

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Croatia