Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2019, 19:13   #1

Good paper (waterproof/resistant) charts

I searched the forums and found threads about whether digital is better than analog (paper) but I've made my career in software and I am all about redundancies. Thus, I don't want to discuss the necessity I need a good site to buy solid charts for the west coast. I will use electronic for the updated soundings and detail but I want paper charts "just in case".

Every time I hit the NOAA site or it's referenced subsidiaries they have huge sizes (47.4" x 35.0") which is entirely impractical for my modest nav station.

Does anyone have a recommended spiral bound version or a more modest 24x24 version? I am having the damndest time finding them.

Thanks! Fair winds.
regex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 19:54   #2

Boat: Hunter 386
Re: Good paper (waterproof/resistant) charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by regex View Post
I searched the forums and found threads about whether digital is better than analog (paper) but I've made my career in software and I am all about redundancies. Thus, I don't want to discuss the necessity I need a good site to buy solid charts for the west coast. I will use electronic for the updated soundings and detail but I want paper charts "just in case".

Every time I hit the NOAA site or it's referenced subsidiaries they have huge sizes (47.4" x 35.0") which is entirely impractical for my modest nav station.

Does anyone have a recommended spiral bound version or a more modest 24x24 version? I am having the damndest time finding them.

Thanks! Fair winds.
Print your own?

https://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/char...booklet-charts
Old 29-01-2019, 20:02   #3

Boat: Island Packet 40

You can get stuff in a spray can to waterproof charts.

Multiple folded standard sized charts are a lot easier to use than anything in a book particularly spiral bound.

When I had a power boat without a chart table I used to plot all the courses I was most likely to use and the bearings and reciprocals to each place then take them and have them plasticized.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 16:53   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Well, you can always fold the big ones.
Just get a couple of spring clips, use one or two to keep it folded up the way you want.

Or you can always ask a print or copy shop to print out the size you want, just give them the PDF files to print from. They probably won't have water-resistant stock, so you might want to buy a ream of that in the size you prefer. Most paper merchants can supply you a few sheets at no charge, to test different media and see which one takes the inks well. A light dusting of matte varnish or cheap hairspray also helps seal the inks in. (Honest.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 21:34   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by regex View Post

The NOAA site does have what they call "booklet charts". On the main page, hover your mouse over the "Charts" tab. There will be a selection for "Booklet Charts" (see screenshot). Select the area you want, then click the "BC" box to get to the PDF of the booklet which can then be printed on whatever size paper you like. These could easily be laminated, slipped into protective sleeves or sprayed with some sort of sealant as others have suggested.

SeanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts, water