Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2010, 17:18   #46

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins
HTML Code:
I'm sorry but how do I download GE2.rex? I don't see where it is attached?
www.gdayii.ca
Old 02-01-2011, 09:00   #47

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins
I would like to ask those who like this idea of overlaying something on the Google earth picture a few questions:

1. Why do you do the overlay? Is it because you want to see depths? or?

2. I assume that the overlay is going to be from an existing chart that you somehow converted to a JPEG or TIF, correct? If not what is it?

The reason I ask is because I'm thinking about enhancing GE2KAP to allow you to specify a chart to overlay and have it automatically size and place it rather than doing it on GE (which BTW I find to be very difficult to do).
Old 02-01-2011, 09:42   #48

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by phiggins View Post
I would like to ask those who like this idea of overlaying something on the Google earth picture a few questions:

2. I assume that the overlay is going to be from an existing chart that you somehow converted to a JPEG or TIF, correct? If not what is it?

The reason I ask is because I'm thinking about enhancing GE2KAP to allow you to specify a chart to overlay and have it automatically size and place it rather than doing it on GE (which BTW I find to be very difficult to do).
Re 1
In well-charted areas, GE pics mainly adds information on the nature of sea bottom (sand vs rocks..) and shore features (tracks, roads, buildings..) Occasionally, the GE pic is more recent and a more recent harbo(u)r lay-out will be visible.
In less-well charted areas, there may be a discrepancy between GE pics and charts. I've stolen this image from a discussion of GE2KAP on a French forum (Tetiaroa, French Polynesia)

Re 2 Correct.

Re 3 Reducing the amount of manual labour has been a traditional trend in the so-called developed countries ;-) That would be a great feature...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	offset.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	22470  
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:08   #49

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Great idea Paul... I have made many approach/harbour plans using GE2KAP and it would be very convenient to also have soundings and seamarks included at the right scale. Not so easy to match the scale between the overlayed chart and GE.

MapTiler can overlay not only a bit map but also specifically a .kap map but found it difficult to use and apply satisfactorily. Presently,a bounding box must first be specified (N-S-E-W) earlier this was automatic.

Can't wait to try it!!

Regds
Tore
Old 02-01-2011, 13:15   #50

Paul.. Google Maps for FSX allows capture of areas larger than the screen and produces the four map geo co-ordinates.
Having selected the size of either 1600 x 1200 or the largest 3200 x 2400,the large map will be created by pressing 'Windows'.

At this point,using Mozilla's add-on 'Screengrab',the entire large map can be stored in a location of your choice. Could this kind of feature be incorporated in GE2KAP with an overlay option?

Tore
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_02 Jan. 02 19.05.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	22477  
Old 02-01-2011, 14:29   #51

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Sadly my four brain cells dont suffice for conjuring up this sort of software; they do however permit me to dream up - an opencpn plugin that automatically fetches a semi-transparent google maps terrain overlay for the current opencpn view, adding it as a selectable chart for future reference
Old 02-01-2011, 15:25   #52

ispnd.. sounds great,but why not a satellite overlay so we can see the bottom conditions as well?

Tore
Old 02-01-2011, 15:30   #53

Paul..
Here is a conversion as mentioned in my #50..
I can only show a scren full but the Puerto Cortes (Honduras) map covers a much larger area.

Tore
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_03 Jan. 02 21.27.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	22484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_04 Jan. 02 21.36.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	22485  

Old 02-01-2011, 15:56   #54
oem

Boat: Vindų 995 ds
Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
Sadly my four brain cells dont suffice for conjuring up this sort of software; they do however permit me to dream up - an opencpn plugin that automatically fetches a semi-transparent google maps terrain overlay for the current opencpn view, adding it as a selectable chart for future reference
Being online or not being online is the question, I think. The latter justifies experiments with GE as overlay (or underlay) on/under a transparent chart. Or as separate charts.

I know that when I'm sailing and having data connection, I'm frequently checking my position on Google satellite images. It seems that sea-charts are becoming more and more 'outdated' concerning visual navigation, based on terrain, buildings, vegetation etc. on land. GE helps tremendously here, because the images are exact photoes of land, buildings, vegetation etc.

And thats where I see the possibilities, - as offline charts offering improved visual navigation possibilities as combinations of sea-charts and satellite images.

If data connection is present during sailing, then a possibility to click a GE map on current position is sufficient. Sometimes, when planning a trip it's also an advantage to see the depths, harbour plans etc. on top of the GE-image.

I agree on the possibility of a plugin in OpenCPN.

Fugawi has an excellent feature for GE integration, and PolarView can also integrate to GE.
oem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 16:59   #55

Boat: Swan 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by phiggins View Post

1. For me, yes it's depth that I'm looking for. Also where there are new features (landfill, bridges, piers etc) not shown on the chart. Remember, where there is a lack of electronic charts, there is usually a lack of modern paper ones also.

2. Yes JPEG (or Tiff or PNG), but usually JPEG
I agree that the placing on GE is difficult and I worry about distorting the image.

If you do develop this feature, could I request that the jpeg can be placed without any distortion and by georeferencing and North & East (or west & south) offsets.

Where there is a lack of new charts, the old charts usually have the features well charted, but just in the wrong place.
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 22:45   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem
Finally I had time to test GE2KAP. And it worked fine, after a couple of attempts mainly due to previous installations of libbsb and Imagemagick. After I re-installed those it worked fine, even with oorexx 4.1.0 (the newest).

Attached an example in Opencpn. Please note that I have a transparent chart (JPG-image) on top of the GE satellite image. A standard feature of GE. That gives extra information about depths and all other navigation relevant information.

It's quite interesting, I think.
Mate navionics on an ipad 3 g also get a few gps softwares wind rose compass etc,.. And ya saved thousands mate ! I have been navigating sydney at night for a year and found accurate within 10 ft !
excelpest2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 23:38   #57

Boat: Swan 56
That's Sydney Harbour - it's well charted with up to date electronic charts.

That's not true of many places in the world.

For the areas I sail, the paper charts in haven't been updated in over 60 years and there are no elecronic charts (of a small enough scale to be of any use).

What Paul is developing here will be a huge improvement for me.
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 00:37   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitched
That's Sydney Harbour - it's well charted with up to date electronic charts.

That's not true of many places in the world.

For the areas I sail, the paper charts in haven't been updated in over 60 years and there are no elecronic charts (of a small enough scale to be of any use).

What Paul is developing here will be a huge improvement for me.
Sounds like he has filled in the spaces for us all cheers Paul
excelpest2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:55   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
Paul..
Here is a conversion as mentioned in my #50..
I can only show a scren full but the Puerto Cortes (Honduras) map covers a much larger area.

Tore
How did you get the screengrab into OpenCPN, did you use the process as outlined in this thread or is there another way?
Old 05-01-2011, 06:32   #60

ThereBePirates..

As I mentioned in my #50 and #53,having saved the grabbed outsize bitmap,I use the geo locations generated in GM to produce a CHARTCAL file in MapCal II and Chartconvert to create the final .kap chart. An easy and quick conversion.

Tore

Tags
bsb, google earth, paracelle