Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2011, 12:03   #91
oem

Boat: Vindø 995 ds
2.0.7 works without problems. Windows Vista.

With GE2KAP two purposes have been fulfilled:

1) Possibility of overlaying existing .KAP-files on GE background and creating new .KAP files from that in order to take advantage of information on satellite images and GE.

2) Possibility of initially georeferencing chart-images (jpg, bmp files) visually in GE, and then creating .KAP-files from that.

In fact method 2 is a faster way of georeferencing, compared to the Mapcal-method, because the charts can be visually georeferenced.

That's not bad :-)

A better integration, plugin, or alike to OpenCPN might be considered. But I guess that will need re-coding in c++ to avoid the need for oorexx.

What about instant overlaying in GE directly in Opencpn (when data connection available, of course) ??

Thanks anyway :-)
oem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 16:38   #92

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins
From the feedback, it looks like V2.0.7 is working not too bad. Thanks for testing it.

The holidays are over and I am leaving for Rio Dulce tomorrow and then taking the boat north to Florida over the next few months. So I won't be able to work on the program for awhile and may not be able to answer emails too fast.

I have a lot of ideas to improve it which I will work on when I get time.

Cheers,
Old 11-01-2011, 01:55   #93

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36
Still no go

Latest vista

ERROR: ERROR error occurred at line:1648
Content of line:
External Command Failed:
composite -colors 127 -type palette -dissolve 40 -geometry 21531.7X15185.9!-5896.0-4496.9 "HouatNN.overlay.tif" "HouatNN.tif" "HouatNN.tif"
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:33   #94

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Paul..

In an attempt to generate a basic map from CM93 I have come up with this map which shows ONLY items of navigational interest. I was not able to remove the grey land area which overlays the GE map. By trial and error I finally ended up with this active list from the Mariners standard box.

This basic CM93 overlay map was then converted to .kap format and applied in GE2KAP. The calibration points were selected from CM93 displayed in OpenCPN during the conversion.

Tore
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_02 Jan. 11 14.07.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	22722   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mriner's standard selection.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	22723  

Old 11-01-2011, 22:21   #95
Marine Service Provider

Cmap 93

Great work

I spent yesterday trying to do the same by trial and error. My screen capture Snagit saves in the png format which can be used by the new GE to Kap by paul. I am looking at a way of removing the grey land colour using photoshop

regards

Richard Fairman JP BA Author SeaClear Unleashed
r.fairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 23:55   #96
Marine Service Provider

Cmap 93

If you save image as a gif file you can select a color to be transparant. When you overlay this gif image in GE the sat image shows through the transparent areas then use GEtoKap to create the kap chart.

What would be nice is a method of georeferencing an image to auto overlay on GE and then convert to kap from the chartcal file
Old 12-01-2011, 01:54   #97
Marine Service Provider

Here is a captured image from cmap93 with a color selected as transparent as a gif file The white area should be transparent when you overlay in GE

Old 12-01-2011, 02:53   #98
Marine Service Provider

Removing umwanted Features in a Cmap 93 chart

To remove unwanted objects displayed in a cmap93 chart so you can capture and overlay in GE. Right Click on the object and select Object
Query OpenCPN displays the code for the object which you can remove from the list via ToolBox Vector Charts
Old 12-01-2011, 03:40   #99

GE2KAP OVERLAYS

I agree an overlay with transparent,unwanted areas would look a lot better than the compromise of an opaque combination where both maps get a reduced quality. This is the best at the moment..

Tore
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_01 Jan. 12 09.39.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	298.3 KB
ID:	22755  
Old 12-01-2011, 04:05   #100

Re #98 Only problem is it does not remove the grey land areas. (no code)

Tore
Old 12-01-2011, 04:11   #101

R.Fairman.. #97

I don't think Chartconvert accepts transparent .gif files for the .kap converted map neccessary for GE2KAP.

Tore
Old 12-01-2011, 04:38   #102

SailorF54,

Re your error: Is this reproduceable? I would need the GE2KAP.log to start diagnosing this problem. Also the convert utility should have printed some error messges in the CMD screen, what are they saying. (In a future release I will try try to capture this data in the log for diagnostic purposes.)
You might want to also send the KAP file you are overlaying and the HouatNN.BMP of the GE screen that GE2KAP program produced.

I plan to change the layout of the screen for GE2KAP because its getting kind of crowded. I would like to change it a style that has tabs for each page at the top. The first page would be the Create Kap, the next Options, the third the KAP chart overlay and maybe the fourth for an overlay of something like a jpg,/png with the capability of specifing the calibration data (the lat/lon 4 corners).
Old 12-01-2011, 04:39   #103
Marine Service Provider

I agree but you can make the underlying grey color transparent as part of a Gif file. Then manually overlay in GE this gif fle than use GE2Kap to create the combined images as a kap file. That is only use the create kap part of GE2Kap not the kap overlay feature
Old 12-01-2011, 07:49   #104

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by phiggins View Post
SailorF54,

Re your error: Is this reproduceable? I would need the GE2KAP.log to start diagnosing this problem. Also the convert utility should have printed some error messges in the CMD screen, what are they saying. (In a future release I will try try to capture this data in the log for diagnostic purposes.)
You might want to also send the KAP file you are overlaying and the HouatNN.BMP of the GE screen that GE2KAP program produced.

I plan to change the layout of the screen for GE2KAP because its getting kind of crowded. I would like to change it a style that has tabs for each page at the top. The first page would be the Create Kap, the next Options, the third the KAP chart overlay and maybe the fourth for an overlay of something like a jpg,/png with the capability of specifing the calibration data (the lat/lon 4 corners).
Couln't reproduce the error message today. I only got it yesterday on quitting the newest GE2KAP after waiting about 10 (ten) minutes. Same waiting time today without error message on quit.
Imagemagick version is ImageMagick-6.6.6-Q16 (taking about 900 Mo in memory when running...!)
The package contains a snapshot of the empty screen, all created files, the log and the .kap chart I have used

Added: I cannot upload my zip.doc file. Too large ? (14 Mo)
Will put it elsewhere

There it is
http://dl.free.fr/o4tU22BWN
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 18:09   #105

I also sometimes find that the Composite command goes away for a very long time. It seems to happen when the scale of the overlay and the gooogle earth have radically different scale sizes. I been thinking of maybe trying clipping the overlay to the GE size beore overlaying it.

Oh BTW if you cancel GE2KAP or CTRL+C it, it will give you this error. This is normal.

There are so many options in the ImageMagick commands. Seems like they can do about anyting you desire. Just have to figure out which one to use.

There is an option to make a color transparent. But what is the color code for the CM93 land areas??

Tags
bsb, google earth, paracelle