Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2010, 00:28   #1
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5
Google Earth: Unplugged

I heard someone, maybe MarkJ. Talking about using google earth as a chartplotter of sorts. Can I hook a GPS up to it? I assume it loads data off the internet. Can I pre save this info (as in close ups of the coastline where I plan to go) so I can then use it when I have no internet access?

I have C-Map already.

Cheers. Dennis.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 00:33   #2

Yes you can hook up a gps with Google earth. However check, not ALL gps systems work with Google earth. It is a good backup to charts.
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 01:01   #3
cruiser

It will be easy enough to see if mine works with it. It its pretty standard GlobalSat BU-353 with 4800 baud rate.

I just want to know how I can use it with no internet access.
Old 27-09-2010, 01:27   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Just turn the internet off and start goole earth and see what happens.

When you see a dilogue box asking if you are having internet problems just clcik No.

Sometimes the cache can delete so it can be good to have a freely downloadable cache saving program

For the GPS look in Google Earth Tools and you will see GPS.
There is a couple of ways to do it. For me its easire to import the track from the GPS as OpenCpn is using the GPS too.

You can see from the screen capture below I have previously (in my last port) worked out where the anchorage is and put a Pin there - see the 'lil boats with dinghys? And my position will come up something like this. I have cleared the track from my GPS so its just showing the track at anchor

I don't use it as primary navigation, of course, but its excellent

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	351
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	19621  

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 21:57   #5
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
It will be easy enough to see if mine works with it. It its pretty standard GlobalSat BU-353 with 4800 baud rate.

This link gives instructions on settings, saving the cache file for later use, and tools to automatically load the cache with images from a route.
--> Using The Google Earth Cache

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 23:48   #6
cruiser

Thanks guys
Old 28-09-2010, 01:00   #7

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
I found a similar thread on Cruiser’s Forum and downloaded the program that allows Google Earth to operate as a GPS navigation system. Maybe try a search of this site?

To date I have not gone and got the GPS ariel to compete the package. Regardless, I still find Google Earth a lot more user friendly than my Garmin mapping system, which won’t even let me use the laptop as a real-time GPS plotter. Only thing is that if you have no internet in some places you need to comprehensively go over them before you leave so the images are stored in your computers temporary internet files/cache or something like that (Noting I am no IT expert). The tool bars on Google Earth are also a lot easier to use than Garmin Mapsource (my opinion).

Maybe I should get that ariel soon? I could probably use my Garmin handheld GPS as the same, but it would be nice as a back-up nav system? Even without the system working I still double check the accuracy of charts using Google Earth.
Old 28-09-2010, 02:08   #8
cruiser

Shane my USB GPS was very cheap under $50 and it even worked INSIDE a STEEL boat

So there is an actual program I need to download to use google earth as a GPS system?
Old 28-09-2010, 04:50   #9

Boat: Privilege 37
some versions of google earth will allow you to cache about 1 Gb of the maps, so it is feasible to download before sailing but it will always be limited, and of no use if you depart from the plan.
Old 28-09-2010, 05:47   #10

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Quote:
Shane my USB GPS was very cheap under $50 and it even worked INSIDE a STEEL boat

So there is an actual program I need to download to use google earth as a GPS system?
Especially seeming it will work in a steel boat, a link to the program is floating around somewhere on this site – if no one else posts the same by the morning I will have a good look for it.
Old 28-09-2010, 05:52   #11
Obsfucator, Second Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
some versions of google earth will allow you to cache about 1 Gb of the maps, so it is feasible to download before sailing but it will always be limited, and of no use if you depart from the plan.
Read through the link I posted above.

It will allow 2 GB of cache.

And with proper instructions, you can save the cache and then build another one. How much you save is limited only by your disk space.

But, as you say, if you go someplace off your plan, you are out of luck. Unless, that is, you can hit someplace with internet before you head off.

@dennisail - no, you do not need any additional program to use GE with a GPS. However, depending on your GPS, you may need an additional program to be able to use it with you computer. And if you have a navigation program, you'll need something additional to be able to use your GPS with more than one program at a time. As explained in the link in my previous post, you may also want additional programs to aid in managing cache in GE to make it more flexible.

NOTE: As has been discussed before many times, Google Earth is no substitute for nautical charts. It will not have obstructions, aids to navigation, tided/currents, etc. However, it is a nice addition to a comprehensive set of navigation tools.

-dan
Old 28-09-2010, 07:35   #12
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
NOTE: As has been discussed before many times, Google Earth is no substitute for nautical charts. It will not have obstructions, aids to navigation, tided/currents, etc. However, it is a nice addition to a comprehensive set of navigation tools.

-dan
Yeah, but it can show you where the shower block is in the marina. Thats never on a crappy paper chart!
And with one click of the button every McDonalds on earth pops up and takes an order. What more could you want?

"I'm going cross the 'Lantic, gimme 100 Big Mac's and Fries to go..."

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 08:42   #13

There is software called google map buddy that will harvest many tiles of an image at a specified zoom level and compile them into a large image that you could then overlay onto google earth and use navigation software with. run on sentence much? This way you do not need to visit every location while connected to the net to cache it.
The google map buddy site does not have the software anymore because google didn't like what it did (ravaging it's servers and all) but there are other places still hosting it. Or you can PM me for a copy.
malovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 11:11   #14
Obsfucator, Second Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Yeah, but it can show you where the shower block is in the marina. Thats never on a crappy paper chart!
And with one click of the button every McDonalds on earth pops up and takes an order. What more could you want?

"I'm going cross the 'Lantic, gimme 100 Big Mac's and Fries to go..."
Which is why I said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
However, it is a nice addition to a comprehensive set of navigation tools.
I only put the warning in there as a standard disclaimer, because it always seems someone want to think GE makes a good total navigation package. Or, someone who thinks that since I say something good about GE means I think it is a good total navigation package.

-dan
Old 28-09-2010, 13:08   #15
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"no, you do not need any additional program to use GE with a GPS."
I thought you had to buy the "pro" version in order to use a gps with Google Earth?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
google earth