Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2009, 12:21   #1

GPS Mouse, Google Maps

I am about to buy a cruiser which has, among other items a working colour GPS/Chart Plotter with a reasonable sized screen. I am considering buying a GPS Mouse to use on my laptop running OpenCPN. I have never used or even seen a GPS mouse, only photos and despite googling I have not been able to find the answer to a fairly basic question: Will the GPS Mouse interface with Google maps and Google earth, I hope so, and if it does, it would be interesting to pick up ariel views of charted areas whilst coastal sailing.
TIA
bg9208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 13:01   #2
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg9208 View Post
I am about to buy a cruiser which has, among other items a working colour GPS/Chart Plotter with a reasonable sized screen. I am considering buying a GPS Mouse to use on my laptop running OpenCPN. I have never used or even seen a GPS mouse, only photos and despite googling I have not been able to find the answer to a fairly basic question: Will the GPS Mouse interface with Google maps and Google earth, I hope so, and if it does, it would be interesting to pick up ariel views of charted areas whilst coastal sailing.
TIA
Disclaimer: I think a "GPS Mouse" is just another term for a GPS Puck, which is basically a USB and/or Blue Tooth attached GPS receiver with no display or controls.

If that is what you are talking about, yes, it should work fine with Google Earth.

Set your Google Earth Cache to the maximum size (I think that is 2 GB), and while connected to the internet, slowly look at your entire route. That will load it into the cache so it will be available while you are on the water.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 13:30   #3

Thanks Dacust - Yep, I think it's the same thing . Two countries divided by a common language!
That's very helpful and just what I needed to know.

regards
bg9208 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
google