Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2021, 12:17   #1

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran
Green lines

i am having a tough time figuring what the green lines are on this raster chart of Maine.

It says see note B but i cant turn off quilting in OPENCPN to read the notes.

Soooo, what are the green lines?

thanks
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2021, 13:05   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Green lines

'just my guess, but they look as if they would be ship traffic lanes; however, as I see Rock Harbor and North Haven and knowing that Camden lies beyond, this isn't an area that would seem to have ship traffic.
Old 30-05-2021, 13:26   #3

It is one of these . . . .

"Part of a deep water route

Information: Recommended two way routes have been established including deep-water routes for vessels in the approaches to Portland Harbor and Casco Bay, through Hussey Sound to Cousins Island and through Broad Sound to Harpswell, Maine. While not mandatory, deep draft commercial vessels (including tugs and barges) are requested to follow the designated routes at the masters's discretion. Other vessels, while not excluded from these routes, should exercise caution in and around these areas and monitor VHF Channel 16 or 13 for information concerning deep draft commercial vessels (including tugs and barges) transiting these routes. See U.S. Coast Pilot Volume 1, Chapter 8."

edit - probably specifically this one:
"Recommended track

Information: Deep draft vessels entering and departing Penobscot Bay and River are requested to remain within the Recommended Vessel Route. Two-way traffic is possible within all parts of the green-tinted areas. Other vessels, while not excluded, should exercise caution in these areas and monitor VHF channel 16 or 13 for information concerning vessels transiting these areas. See U.S. Coast Pilot 1, Chapter 7."
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2021, 13:39   #4

btw you can get noaa chart pdfs for free - like https://charts.noaa.gov/PDFs/13288.pdf
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2021, 14:12   #5

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

Thanks Breaking Waves, i saw the traffic separation schemes elsewhere in Maine and the Bay of Fundy, but was mystified by the green lines. i am probably going to be cruising Penobscot Bay this summer so i need this information.
jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2021, 16:17   #6

Boat: Sabre 402

We saw a good-sized freighter (500'?) using the channel off Camden to carry 200' windmill rotors, apparently for the installation on Vinalhaven. In the fog (patchy visibility <1/4 mile), they were definitely sounding their signals and staying in the channel.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 19:28   #7

Boat: 2018 Senesco 110'

Block Island, Rhode Island Sound and Buzzards Bay have similar routing for "deep draft" vessels.