Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2015, 11:56   #1

Boat: 45 ft aluminium sailboat
Grenada to Tahiti June/July

Hi,
I'm looking to a possible route from Grenada to Tahiti, starting early june from Grenada, crossing panama e/o june and Panama Tahiti non stop in July.
Any suggestion or advice regarding the route and the weather are welcome.
best regards
gael
gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 12:13   #2

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852
Re: Grenada to Tahiti June/July

Quote:
Originally Posted by gael View Post
Hi,
I'm looking to a possible route from Grenada to Tahiti, starting early june from Grenada, crossing panama e/o june and Panama Tahiti non stop in July.
Any suggestion or advice regarding the route and the weather are welcome.
best regards
gael

You will have a lot more thunderstorm /squall activity on both sides of Panama at that time. Also the sw winds will be a little contrary on the pacific side of Panama. Watch for a lot of floating debris as far as 200 miles past Panama due to all the swelled rivers. But it's done all the time and the weather will be great once you get south of the itz on the pacific side. In a perfect scenario you would depart Panama in March but not all passages are done at the perfect time.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 19:57   #3

Boat: 45 ft aluminium sailboat
Re: Grenada to Tahiti June/July

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave852 View Post
You will have a lot more thunderstorm /squall activity on both sides of Panama at that time. Also the sw winds will be a little contrary on the pacific side of Panama. Watch for a lot of floating debris as far as 200 miles past Panama due to all the swelled rivers. But it's done all the time and the weather will be great once you get south of the itz on the pacific side. In a perfect scenario you would depart Panama in March but not all passages are done at the perfect time.
Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Thunderstorms are not my favorite... you confirmed what I had anticipate. May be with a North route I could escape a bit from this mess.
Regarding the little SW wind, I an accomodate as I have a fairly light boat and she is good upwind
Just now questionning if I should go North of galapagos or go directly south - and cross all the floated junk- to pick up the SE tradewind.

thanks for your advise.
regards
gael
gael is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Grenada, tahiti