Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 10:33   #1

Boat: Spencer 35
Guidebook Recommendation

Planning a trip across the Pacific for next year and have stated to consider getting a cruising guide to take along with me. Did a quick trip through the area in '04, but just stopped at a few places and would like to take a little longer and go a little slower this time.

I have seen a couple books availabe, South Pacific Anchorages and Landfalls of Paradise, and I'm sure there are others....I'm not about to take any more than one of them so wonder if anyone has used them (or others) and what you thought.

I will be taking both of Cornell's books for reference material.

Thanks

Jim/Haulback
haulback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:53   #2

Re: guidebook recomendation

My general experience is the more guides the better. Not done the So Pac though....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 21:03   #3

Boat: Spencer 35
Re: Guidebook Recommendation

still looking for any good advice if there is any. Space on a small boat is always a consideration, so simply taking every guide book may not be the preferred option.

anybody else??

Jim/Haulback
haulback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 23:29   #4

Boat: Peterson 46

Firstly, most that you want should be downloadable or scanned etc. That will eliminate the space if need be. Personally I like the book, but as you said - space is always limited.

Second, your planned trip will limit the broad spectrum guides.

Cheers
rusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 01:49   #5

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

I took all of the guides I could find (I am a believer in having a number of different guides since they all cover different areas in varying degrees of detail.) If I was to take only one it would be the Pacific Crossing Guide since it covers all the important places you will probably stop…for fuel, supplies, etc. But then I would add both South Pacific Anchorages and Landfalls of Paradise unless you know you will not want to stop in some of the more out of the way places.

The problem with not carrying the different guides is that it is too easy to skip many of the best, but seldom visited, locations.

But this really depends on your style of cruising. We have met so many different types of cruisers, from those who want to go around the world (then the Pacific Crossing Guide is enough) to those who want to visit places that few cruisers visit (then you need as much information as possible.)

Personally I am very opposed to stealing from the people who spent a lot of time writing guides that I am happy that they did write. But if space was that big of an issue I would still buy the guides and scan them and put them on my Kindle. I know how hard it is to find space on a small boat, but I think carrying 4 or 5 guides and paper charts is within reason for most boats.

jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 04:51   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Some free online guides:

Cruising the Coconut Milk Run ~ Ken Machtley and Cathy Siegismund (“Felicity”)
http://www.svfelicity.com/articles/milkrun.pdf
www . svfelicity.com/articles/milkrun.pdf

The Coconut Milk Run ~ Jan & Signe Twardowski (“Raven”)
The Coconut Milk Run
www . ravencruise.com/the_coconut_milk_run.htm

The Admiral’s Version of The Coconut Milk Run
The Admiral’s Version of The Coconut Milk Run
www . ravencruise.com/the_admirals_version_of_the_coconut_milk_run.htm

Pacific Puddle Jump
Pacific Puddle Jump Official Web Site

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 05:38   #7

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

You may want to also download Pacific tracks from Circumnavigation & Ocean Crossing

Bill
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 13:54   #8

Boat: St. Francis 44 Mk II (Catamaran)
Send a message via Skype™ to SoggyPaws

I agree with jim_thomsen. You never know when that one guide will have that one harbor you need in a bad situation. Buy them at half price (start at Amazon.com) and sell them at half price, and they cost you nothing.

Here is the reference we used when we set out:

The Two Captains - Reference Shelf

But one overview book will NOT cover everything, unless you are just whizzing through, stopping at only a couple of locations.

As for free downloadable guides... we have just made the jump (in Tonga now), and we have left a trail of 'Compendiums' behind that are guidebook-ish, that attempt to fill in the gaps between the current situation and the out-of-date guidebooks.

Try this link--they're all free. Download everything you can now, because though there's internet out there, it's really slow and somewhat expensive.

S/V Soggy Paws Downloads Page

You might also take a look at our blog for an idea of what's out there. We've been cruising in the Pacific since Sep 2008, and only just arrived in Tonga.

Cruising with Soggy Paws

Good luck!!
SoggyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
guidebooks