Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2013, 12:08   #1

Boat: Morgan Classic 41'
Gulf Passes Along Louisana And Mississippi

Let me hear from you Gulf coast cruisers. I'm planning a coastal passage from Galveston to FL sticking close 75NM or so from the coast. What are some decent passes along this stretch possible with access to the ICW. I have a mast height of 56' and looks like there are numerous bridge height restrictions in LA and MS
sailawaylater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 12:40   #2

Boat: Vagabond 42
Re: Gulf passes along Louisana and Mississippi

We got caught off the Mississippi River delta in a hurricane several years ago during a Galveston to Pensacola race. It was looking pretty grim until a shrimper who was also running for cover told us about Tiger Pass on the west side of the delta. Plenty deep and a channel that ran us up to Venice Marina where we sat a couple of days and let the storm blow through. When we were leaving I said to the proprietor "I guess you don't see many sailboats in here". He said, " Oh we see them occasionally, we had one in here 6 or 7 years ago". From Venice Marina it is short run UP the Mississippi to the Baptist Collett channel that will drop you out just south of the Chandeleur Islands.

There is also Coon Ass Pass, Houma Navigation Canel, Belle Pass and a couple of others. Just carry good charts because the water gets pretty skinny up some of the cuts.
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 13:25   #3

Boat: Morgan Classic 41'

I see you are in Seabrook. I'm in Watergate. Like to hear your stories first hand. Thanks
sailawaylater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 21:04   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
There are some fun stops on this route like Houma, but the best cruising ground is really after you get to Mississippi Sound...from there all the way over to Pensacola.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 21:22   #5

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We draw 5 1/2 ft and are at 61ft mast hight. We get into Houma no problem also Both passes into grand Isle, we go up the bayou from the Houma ship canal to Cocodrie, then up the bayou and across to bayou Terrebonne and into Montegut. We stop there as the briges above montegut are to low for us ! I believe if your mast hight is 51 ft or less you can get up most of the bayous in Terrebonne Parish, and La fouche Parish.Don't take this as gospel, but thats what Ive seen and been told by the shrimpers and the few sailors around here !! Great little marina in Houma it's a fantastic Hurrycane hole !!!

Tags
mississippi