Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2015, 19:16   #1

Gun Cay Bahamas to NW Channel Light

I am looking for any knowledge of the cut through Gun Cay Bahamas and on to the NW Channel light, especially depths. I am considering going to Gun Cay from Biscayne Bay, through the cut and on across the banks. My sailboat draws almost 7'.
Mark_S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 19:28   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Gun Cay Bahamas to NW Channel Light

It's been a few years since I did that route but as I recall 7' is a no go to NW Channel from Gun Cay.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 19:30   #3

Boat: Irwin citation 40 "Southern Toy"

In the eighties I did it often with 7 foot draft, the nw light was never there anchor well off direct route ole
olepedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 20:01   #4
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Probably safest to go around North Bimini with that kind of draft.
The cut between Gun and North Cat is not too bad, but a bit of precision required.
Again, go The North route..
Old 25-01-2015, 06:31   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S. View Post
I am looking for any knowledge of the cut through Gun Cay Bahamas and on to the NW Channel light, especially depths. I am considering going to Gun Cay from Biscayne Bay, through the cut and on across the banks. My sailboat draws almost 7'.
To cruise the Bahamas you'll need an up-to-day copy of the Explorer Charts. With them, you'll see that there is adequate depth in the cut between Gun Key and North Cat Key to enter the banks. The channel south from there to the anchorage northeast of the Cat Key airport is a little skinny but on a mid- or better tide shouldn't be a problem (if needed you can wait out the tides anchored at the northwest end of Gun Key below the point south of Honeymoon Harbor). From Cat Key there are two relatively shallow spots on the route toward the (evidently no longer existing) North Channel Light. One about a mile northeast of Cat Key and another about 3 miles further on (favor the north side of the rhumb line there), both of which you can traverse on a mid- or higher tide. Just leave Cat Key and hour or so before high tide in good light.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas