Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2022, 14:15   #1

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60
Hatteras

I'm waiting in Norfolk for a window to round Hatteras going south, it's not looking great. I have done it before and it was not fun going south, sailing north in May was a snap. Look as I may I can't see an inside option, my vertical draft is just over 80'. Not familiar with the area, any ideas besides wait for a window.
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 15:05   #2

Re: Hatteras

It is only a day and a half trip from Norfolk to Beaufort/Moorehead City. I just had a look at Predict Wind and would be fine going this week as long as you are in port by next Monday. Next week does look like it pipes up to the point you might wait it out.

I assume vertical draft means air draft. 80' sounds like a large boat. Or was that a typo? But there aren't any options other than offshore for a large stick or a deep keel.
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 15:07   #3

Wait. No chance inside with your air draft. In late fall weather windows around Hattera become few. Don’t risk a less than perfect forecast - boats are lost every fall of Hatteras - and sometimes lives.

The problem is the low 100 miles off. Seas are already 5ft at Hatteras and will be 7ft by Friday morning. Anything over 4 on the beam is uncomfortable.

I now round before October 15 - of course you need insurance that let’s you do that.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 16:14   #4

I see the OP's boat is a 60' cat.

My original post was based on my own sailing experience and knowledge of my boat and crew. I don't consider the 5-7 foot seas forecast around Hatteras a problem, but that really only matters to me. On Monday, though, they are forecasted to build.

But since we have very little information about the situation (other than you were once burned heading south around Hatteras), it may help if you disclose what weather you are hoping for (or not hoping for). My choice to sail may be dictated by whether or not wife or kids are aboad. Not because of safety - but more due to comfort. The worse passage is an unhappy wife or scared child.

But if you are looking for perfect, you could be waiting it out for a long time during this time of year.
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 16:34   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRELOS View Post
I'm waiting in Norfolk for a window to round Hatteras going south, it's not looking great. I have done it before and it was not fun going south, sailing north in May was a snap. Look as I may I can't see an inside option, my vertical draft is just over 80'. Not familiar with the area, any ideas besides wait for a window.
There is no option.

As a delivery guy- sometime I get help on a call like that. Get an account with Chris Parker, give him his money and wait it out.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 16:59   #6

This weekend looks fairly reasonable. Southern wind on Saturday will make for calmer sea state. Sunday wind dies to almost nothing around Hatteras mid day. You will power more than sail, but in a boat your size you will get around in that day if you leave really early Sunday morning. Other than pulling your mast there is only waiting for the weather window.
JEB
Jebtrois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 17:33   #7

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebtrois View Post
This weekend looks fairly reasonable. Southern wind on Saturday will make for calmer sea state. Sunday wind dies to almost nothing around Hatteras mid day. You will power more than sail, but in a boat your size you will get around in that day if you leave really early Sunday morning. Other than pulling your mast there is only waiting for the weather window.
JEB
I agree with what he said. Either that or wait to see what next week brings.
However, by “early Sunday” I’d be thinking you should leave Norfolk before 0200.
Edit: Norfolk to Beaufort outside is a little over 200 nm. At 6k you need about 33-35 hours underway. So I’d revise my departure to leave Norfolk on Saturday to arrive Beaufort before dark on Sunday.
Tuesday looks a bit scary.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 18:09   #8

Agree...I wrongly assumed a higher speed from a big boat. Since you are likely powering you could leave Saturday under beautiful conditions and power all day and night clearing Hatteras mid day/mid afternoon on Sunday in calm winds.
JEB
Jebtrois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 18:26   #9

Boat: Tayana FD-12

I thought rounding hatteras late in the season introduces more risk. But then last year I left Norfolk on Christmas day and had a nice motorsail all the way to Beaufort. Temp was in the 60s. South of Diamond shoals is always warm.
So just be patient. Make sure your engine is shipshape and have spares for this trip. good weather window likely includes 36h motoring.

https://wavetrain.net/2010/09/22/cap...it-strategies/
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 04:32   #10

Boat: Sabre 34-1 CB, 34 feet

Gale warning today for Hatteras. Bad conditions all week. Hurricane Nicole is coming, will arrive Friday a.m. likely as a subtropical storm.

Might as well get comfortable where you are. You would be foolish to head out now.
Sailor Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 05:44   #11

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
There is no option.

As a delivery guy- sometime I get help on a call like that. Get an account with Chris Parker, give him his money and wait it out.
======================================
in addition to Snore also
https://jcgulfstream.com/

have used Jenifer and Dane several times in the past and very very happy, saved my butt a couple of times.
2 gales and a tropical storm!!!!

This area at this time of the year is not a place for amateurs.

"Cape Hatteras has been a deadly trap for sailors that have entered over the centuries. The stretch of shore is home to more than 600 shipwrecks off the shifting sandbars of the Hatteras Islands. The sandbars shift due to rough waves and unpredictable currents."

https://marine.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=amz152#
davil is offline   Reply With Quote