Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2016, 05:37   #1

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989
Heikell/Imray was my Bible till when... :-(

Eastern Sicily:

Volcano: chart shows up north of jetty (Porto Levante) batimetrics of 5, 10, 20m

I ask locals, 50m from coast-line, fishing ..while I was trying anchor for n times...
" here bottom is 150m"

Volcano, east of punta Gelso. Idyllic bay with Crystal waters (not addressed..at all.)

It is said to anchor in 10m waters, just before buoys... when I found myself in 6m depth just well in the middle of bay

Taormina: on the southern bay under the cliff, it is not written that bottom is 40/50m, though "anchor symbol" is shown. Symbol is repeated around the corner (NW) of beach, where locals told me Not-to-go

Batimetric are correct, but chart fails to recommend to drop anchor FRONT OF RAILWAYS STN. in 7/10m water (too easy to say!?)

Enough to say that a rock solid reputation is faded away, after years.
My edition is dated 2008, but the newest 2016 is exactly the same.

Honestly!? I do believe no one can live enough to write alone one single book, not to say the many they issued....

More, beyond description of marinas/harbours, little is left to the adventurous explorer "sotto-costa". Not happy, really!
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote