Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2013, 12:23   #1
MSc

HELP NEEDED FOR MSc RESEARCH

Let me introduce myself and my reasons for joining the forum. I work for the RNLI and am undertaking a MSc in Maritime studies at Portsmouth University. The aim of the research is to determine if leisure craft users and professional mariners are being best served by the navigation equipment in use by them at sea. Is the equipment displaying information and hazards sufficiently and correctly to allow a skilled or semi-skilled navigator to navigate safely and determine if he is in danger or at risk. How does the user interact with the navigation display? Is the menu system intuitive and does the display provide enough resolution for users to easily determine dangers to navigation? Does the system allow for other sensors to add to the display such as Automatic Identification System(AIS), echo sounder, radar. Also are the various technical standards compatible across different navigations systems? If so does this information provide additional information or does it run the risk of overwhelming the individual. Is the over-reliance on these navigational aids, the total acceptance that what they display is correct actually making it more unsafe for users who could then become the casualty in SAR?
My reasons for joining are to canvas other forum users for any personal experiences they have had where their electronic navigation equipment has failed. Failed in the sense of not working in total or not working correctly and so leaving them in danger of grounding. Has the chart updates been late in coming or non existent. If upon buying new equipment or using equipment that they are not familiar with they have been overwhelmed with the information supplied to them. Do many users have AIS/Radar/echo sounder feeds into their navigation system display. Would anyone like to relate a story where they have found themselves at risk due to navigating using only electronic navigation aids? I can assure anonymity.
If you have any good experiences of utilising the cutting edge technology to assist in your navigation they would also be greatly appreciated. Be it a faster appreciation of the surrounding area using an electronic display or it's ease of operation in wet environments compared to paper charts all would be appreciated.
I have been granted access to all the RNLI records for my research but only to gather statistics. Which is why I have to reach out to others for specific examples and others thoughts. My aim is to be able to provide the RNLI with recommendations for the future provision of training and sea safety advice. I can be contacted via this website or PM me here.
MSc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 13:13   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: HELP NEEDED FOR MSc RESEARCH

Sorry, what is RNLI?

I just did a search...is it this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_N...at_Institution

So much of safety relating to navigation depends on who has the con.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 21:05   #3

Boat: 29'

Too many lines to read between!
Is this specific to the UK?
Have you searched the forums?
Is Hearsay Allowed?
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 21:06   #4

Too many lines to read between!
Is this specific to the UK?
Have you searched the forums?
Is Hearsay Allowed?
Old 14-01-2013, 07:59   #5
MSc

Thank you, I agree it does depend on who's got the con. Part of what I'm looking at is the advent of electronic navigation making going to sea more accessible and so less experienced individuals getting themselves into bother. I am looking at the UK but interested around the world. I'm always open to hearsay
Old 14-01-2013, 08:00   #6

...humbly suggest you build a form with checkboxes... and upload as attachment?
Old 14-01-2013, 08:35   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Almost all the questions you ask will be based on the manufacturer and/or model of navigation device. The variations from one the other are very significant.

Some navigation devices will give only GPS position in lat/lon. Some will have a screen to show your position graphically. The next model will show position graphically on a marine chart which will include channel markers, depths, hazards, etc.

Next higher model will allow interface with input from other devices including: fathometer, radar, AIS, etc. Generally these may be options or modular so one skipper may buy the basic unit with only position and chart display and another may have the same model with all the goodies including radar.

Next the interface is different from model to model and certainly manufacturer to manufacturer. Some models use touch screens, some buttons that open menus, some both. Every manufacturer uses a different menu system and some are certainly better and more intuitive than others.

Then different users relate differently to different systems so what is clear and easy to use for one person may be difficult and obscure to another. However, tThis I think is much less significant than the differences between models and brands.

So the answers will vary dramatically depending on which unit the boater is using.

Regarding the technology in general, I think in most ways it makes navigation easier, position finding faster and more accurate, and generally makes boating safer. The downside is that electronic navigation can make the process so simple that it can encourage the inexperienced to go beyond their capabilities and can let the boater get a bit lazy in monitoring the boats position and maintaining basic navigation skills. A common complaint based on many actual boating accidents, a skipper is staring at the chart screen and not looking out at the real world and runs into a navigation marker or another boat in broad daylight.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 09:27   #8

There always have been and always will be people with poor judgement. I can remember before the days of GPS people with no clue in the world that there is a difference between true north and magnetic north, for example, sailing between Poole and Cherbourg. In my opinion, modern navigation instruments probably do not materially increase the number of idiots going to sea but make going to sea safer for the idiots who do.
mcarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 09:40   #9
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
In my opinion, modern navigation instruments probably do not materially increase the number of idiots going to sea but make going to sea safer for the idiots who do.
+1

dave
Old 14-01-2013, 09:50   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Keys on the Interphase Pilot GPS started to get sticky going past Cape Wrath, by the time we got to the Pentland Firth there were 3 meter waves and our 17 foot open boat was awash. The GPS failed completely leaving us with the menu screen which gave absolutely no navigation information. Any one of the 6 other screens would have helped but not the menu screen. We navigated the remaining 80 miles to Inverness by memory and running time, speed, distance calculations, the chart having been lost overboard at Cape Wrath when it was blown completely out of my hands.

A memorable trip for nights in front of log fires with a bottle of Pussers Rum.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 11:35   #11
Armchair Bucketeer

If asking some anonymous folks on the internet for some anecdotes counts as research - then simply do a search, quite a few Electronic vs Paper etc threads to choose from (wade through?!), a couple even currently live.

Then pick the story / view you want.

Unless that a little bit too much effort........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 11:43   #12

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

As skipmac noted. Lots of difference between various manufactures. Lots of idiots setting sail. But probably more arrive safely since chartplotters than did before they were invented

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 11:45   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
In my opinion, modern navigation instruments probably do not materially increase the number of idiots going to sea
I guess that would depend on your definition of materially. I have personally run into more than a few boaters that "expanded their horizons" mainly because they believed a GPS chart plotter would make it safe to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
In my opinion, modern navigation instruments make going to sea safer for the idiots who do.
Oh I totally agree and am not against modern nav electronics in any way. Not only safer for idiots but experienced boaters as well.

The other issue is that even experienced boaters can get complacent depending on AP and chart plotters. I wanted to charter a large cruising cat a few years ago but the previous charter with a well known and experienced professional captain ran head on into a channel marker in the keys because the captain set the AP and went below for a cup of coffee and lost track of the time.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 03:44   #14

Boat: Vessel-less

The introduction of electronic chartplotters in pleasurecraft is the greatest detriment to safety ever.

Not because of digital charts, but because of the marriage of plotters and electronic (now GPS) navigation systems.

Navigation is no longer a requirement. A power failure is a May-Day situation.

There is now, in Norway, a mandatory licence for small pleasure craft as well. Its a step in the right direction, but does not include any practical skills.

Should electronic plotters be banned? Of course not. They are great!

Edited:
Oh well, this was a redundant entry!

Msg to self: Read entire thread before jumping in.
Sorry
Thonord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 13:00   #15
MSc

Guys thank you for your input I do appreciate the interest sparked and discussion. Thonord I wasn't aware that Norway had introduced a licence system I'll have to research it. As Happy Seagull recommended I'm writing a questionnaire on Survey Monkey that will allow me to crunch the data. Please keep the comments coming, any tales of woe that I can reconcile with source evidence is very much appreciated.

Tags
arc, research