Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2013, 12:39   #16

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: How long from FLA to MD?

It really shouldn't take too long...on Rand McNally's road chart...the distance is about 4 inches between FL and MD. Bon voyage!

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
Old 26-06-2013, 12:40   #17

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

There are several Geminis for sale in the Chesapeake, including this older one that just came on the market: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=da4cb3c409

As far as the transport, most newer Geminis cruise an average of about 6kn (7mph). I've done the trip many times, but only leisurely, and mostly on the ICW... 26 days was our quickest with several layover/visit days, and zero overnights. If you can take a month off with a companion and a little practise, you won't need the hired captain...the boat's easy as pie to handle, and with the draft, you can find lots of places to anchor. If you go for that plan, hope you enjoy the trip!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 12:50   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
Thanks so much, no hard feelings I probably could have worded the question better...

What I was hoping for was numbers from people who might have made that trip, just to give some real world data to my research. (there always seems to be something that you haven't thought about unitl you experience it first hand, and I was kind of curious to see the range of answers that I might get based on various experiences)

I'll try to be more specific and careful when I post in the future
Here's my experience where I did a combination of outside, non-stop and ICW.

On the open parts of the ICW (no big towns and multiple bridges) if we got up at sunrise, had coffee and hit the road until dusk we we could get in 12 hours travel time per day. Most days we did 8-10 so 50-80 miles per day.

Offshore legs, weather permitting in a monohull doing 6-7 kts about 150 miles in a day.

Took me 17 days from CT to Jacksonville on the last trip.

So your time will depend on how you break it up. Going north if offshore you can pick up a knot or two with the Gulf Stream in parts of the trip.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 13:10   #19

The same trip. In my.trawler. at.an average of 6kns. after 4 round trips my average was a hundred and ninety five hours
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 13:28   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Took us less than two weeks from Ft. Lauderdale to Norfolk. Stopped for two days in Charleston and a day in Beaufort. Went outside to Beaufort, then Albemarle Sound and the Dismal Swamp Canal. Sailed almost all the way with the exception of the Dismal Swamp canal. Think it's faster by far to sail outside. Had a crew of two and sailed 24/7. Would not recommend sailing any of the ICW at night unless it's open water like the Sound.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 13:55   #21

Unless the boat is pristene, plan on a few days at the start to get things in order. Especially if you are looking to do offshore.

I measured 1300 miles from our log (ICW). 50 miles is a good long day on our gemini so that's 26 days with no stops and perfect weather. You could probably push that up to 75miles/day but it won't be a fun trip and you will be tempted to travel when you shouldn't.

Another option to consider is doing it in stages. With 2 weeks off, you could probably get to S. Carolina if you push a bit. Then find a place to dock while you go back to work for a few weeks. Then with some long weekends, you could drive down and shuttle the boat a couple hundred miles at a time. If you dock longer term, the prices are much cheaper than the daily rates.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 14:01   #22
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
In in response to Brutb, I do understand that it would add some cost and wear, however it would be a great way to learn my new boat but I guess I'm still weighing those trade offs.
I always kind of question this "learn my new boat" method. It basically makes you at the boats mercy instead of the boat being at yours.

Plus what real experience is this going be? Either a good boring trip outside (mostly sitting and reading), a crappy trip outside (great a crappy experience), or motoring up a ditch? Add to the choices that you now have the most dangerous thing know to cruising; a schedule!
Old 26-06-2013, 14:28   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
Made the trip 5 times

Fastest was 95 hours (offshore nonstop in 60' ketch)
Slowest was 29 days (inside on 51' ketch)

I'd figure 10- 12 days going outside to Morehead City and inside to Norfolk assuming a possible bailout if it gets really nasty
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 15:23   #24

Boat: Privilege 37

I have made the trip between Miami and North Carolina 4 times and once between Miami and Annapolis in my 37 foot catamaran. I have always done a combination of ICW and offshore. With two folks it is VERY hard to make the run continuously (My wife draws the line at 3 nights continuous). Our cruising planning time is 7 knots per hour, I imagine we're some what faster than the Gemini due to a longer waterline. I'd probably plan on 6 knot cruise. I think if you can manage 3 36 hour cruise session and count on 10 hours for a sailing day, you can get the boat up in 13 elapsed days.

I have made the trip a number of times in a 62 foot monohull, all offshore. Even with a crew of 4 we'd stop overnight in Beaufort N.C. or Savannah S.C. to recharge, before going on.

Count on having to fix something, count on having to motor every day. Count on having to refill with fuel.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 16:25   #25
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Offshore and booming, what is it about 700nm, 100 hours at seven knots, so 125-150 hours is more likely. A week.

But as other members have found out the hard way, you don't want to buy the boat and bring it home. SPend a day or two doing shakedown cruises locally, plan to head out for the day and return to order parts (3 day wait?) and make repairs (2-4 more days) and quite possibly spend a full week putting the boat in order. Then either you go home, having taken a working vacation, or you set sail for home with the boat.

There's a very good chance you'll need somewhere between two days and a full week after taking delivery, before you want to take that boat home. At least plan to spend a long weekend taking possession of the boat, and then coming back to make the delivery trip.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 17:08   #26

Boat: Hobie 17 + Hobie AI... And Gemini 105MC

Wow, what amazing information! I really appreciate people sharing their experiences. That is exactly what I was hoping for The wealth of experiences contained here has given me a much clearer idea of what I would have to have to plan for if I should choose to go that route.

I should know a lot more after this weekend, which I will be spending in Annalpolis looking at boats close to home
Old 26-06-2013, 17:18   #27
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Used boats are like the children of Lake Woebegone: They are all, each and every one of them, way above average.

And then again, doesn't every boat need something fixed, all the time?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 17:24   #28

How fast do you motor? 6-7 knots? I would divide 1000 miles by your speed and figure 10 hours a day on the intracoastal waterway. Then 1.5-2 times that for rest and problems. You could always bring it part way and go back again.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 17:45   #29

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Shipwrecks never need upgrades or repairs!

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
Old 26-06-2013, 18:24   #30
cruiser

Bullshiitesky!! Waterway will take about 19days!!! Offshore about 6-7ays!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Just in case you don't have a chart handy, the distance is about 1000 miles so if you go nonstop, direct and can do 10 kts then 1000 miles divided by 10 kts gives you 100 hours travel time or about 4 days.

Of course these are best case scenario numbers and unlikely you will average 10 kts. So assuming slower speeds figure 5-7 days. Unless you have really bad weather or no winds at all and have to motor all the way which involves stopping for fuel and then it could take even longer.

If you go up the ICW distance is slightly longer and you will probably have to stop nights.

Really completely depends on how you make the trip.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote