Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 05:33   #91
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: How to do a 18 month circumnavigation from San Francisco?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
Anyone who has raised teenagers can recognize the symptoms, but the good news is that most eventually come out of it and realize their parents are not actually the most stupid and backwards human beings on the planet after all, and some even are willing to admit that out loud. The bad news is that many don't "reassess" until about age 30 and a few never do so end up going all the way through life determined to learn every lesson the hard way and naturally they can seem quite angry, who wouldn't?

I feel like we're at the very early stages of Bumfuzzle II!
i wish him the best of luck!

but it does seem like every other month we get a thread like this asking for advice,then get either no feed back or abused by the op for offering advice on subjects that the op should really have done his own homework and reasearch on.

definitly one for the record on this thread

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ees-89655.html
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:13   #92

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxIslander View Post
...another "off topic" reply...this thread is exactly why I don't post here at CF...the nastiness...been here for years as a CF voyeur, but this is my first post. Sure the OP was nasty, but so were 70% of the replies. Happens all too often.
I'd say he pretty much set the tone from post 9. Have I been nasty to him in response to his comments? Absolutely. It's called Mirroring. It's used in Counseling especially with youth and socially immature people. Does he deserve it? I don't know maybe. But I can tell you like I said earlier. Please, Thank you, and I appreciate your help would have gotten him a lot further.

But if you do look at a copy of his post below I don't feel bad in the slightest for calling a spade a spade. When you come out with guns blazing you had better expect one hell of a return volley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoloSF View Post
Another off topic response.
Anyways... could someone please help me with my question?

I'll try re-phrasing the question:
Given the dates I have provided, assuming you have to go through the Suez Canal, and avoiding stormy seasons, what would your itinerary be for an 18-24 month circumnavigation starting and ending in San Francisco, CA?

This forum has become useless, it's full of old and bored guys who want to give their opinions and quite frankly, nobody's care about their opinions, or their fears, or their beliefs. I came here hopiung to find some experienced sailors or sailors who know other sailors that have accomplished something similar to what I"m trying to accomplish and can give me some route proposals to help me plan my trip.

Happy couch sailing
Old 02-04-2014, 06:43   #93
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
every other month we get a thread like this asking for advice,then get either no feed back or abused by the op for offering advice on subjects that the op should really have done his own homework and reasearch on.

My sentiments exactly.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:10   #94

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Quote:
...another "off topic" reply...this thread is exactly why I don't post here at CF...the nastiness...been here for years as a CF voyeur, but this is my first post. Sure the OP was nasty, but so were 70% of the replies. Happens all too often.
I think if you'll go back and read you'll find the first few replies to ask questions as more info is helpful to give a good answer. It wasn't until after the OP made some dismissive and "nasty" remarks himself that the nasty replies started.

If you ask for help with something, you are going to have to live with having questions asked for more info as well. Don't like it, don't ask.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:21   #95
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Not saying it's right but if someone asks a question and because he/she doesn't like the answer and pretty much tells the party that posted the answer to F Off it's pretty much human nature to respond in kind.

On this forum I will admit that one might see some less than patient and polite response if, for example, a newbie's first post asks about guns on boats when there are three other threads already running on the same, tired subject. Situation like that, again not saying it's right or polite, but it is standard internet protocol to check previous threads, FAQs, etc before posting as a new member to a forum.

Otherwise, in my experience if the OP is polite then 99% of the time all the replies are the same.

You say you have been lurking for years so you must have some questions. I invite you to ask and if anyone is less than polite I will personally chastise them.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:32   #96
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
We did almost this trip in this time frame on our second go around. The difference would be South Africa vs. Med.

Left San Francisco in late February (waiting for a decent window) and headed toward Christmas/Palmyra/Fanning. From there through Tuvalu and Kirabati, crossing the equator near the dateline in April/May. Need to get out of the North Pacific by June, and don't want to get into the South Pacific before April.

Continuing SW through Vanuatu to Australia. Depending on desired landing in Oz can head through New Caledonia or Solomons. This puts you in Oz winter/spring (July/August/September), ending up at Torres Straits September/October. From there through Indonesia and Christmas Island (the other one).

This is where our voyage diverges, that schedule put us in South Africa in December (summer) with a decent trip across the South Atlantic after the beginning of the year. To get to the Med you probably don't want to be there much before April, which leaves some time to kill in Indonesia and the Indian Ocean, but that means that you're 14 months out when you arrive in the Med. Not sure how I'd handle trying to get back to SF in 4 months from the Med, especially given that you want to have completed the passage up from Central America before June (and actually finishing in 16-17 months).

If you could extend to 24-26 months I can see it much more clearly, summer in the Med, Atlantic crossing with the crowd at the end of the year, a little bit of late fall in the Caribbean, then through the Panama Canal at the beginning of the year, and up the Central American coast through the spring, getting back to SF March/April/May.
Thank you so much for your response. It's exactly the part where we'd kill some time in Indonesia before entering the Med and then realizing I have little time to get back that I was a little stumped on and why I came to this forum for help. I wanted to leave the question fairly open ended though to see if anyone proposed anything that I may not have considered.

You've been very helpful, these are the kind of responses I was hoping for when I requested assistance!
YoloSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:00   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Actually, I think the last several years indicate that now might be the worst time to leave SF. February might be a lot better, in recent years it seems that the high takes up almost a summertime position in early winter. Is that an aberration of the last couple of years, or is that a trend in changing weather patterns?
Yes, it is an aberration. The high usually sinks down south and allows the PNW lows to come roaring through with rain. That's also why we've had a drought this year. No rain, no water. Usually the high comes back around now and gives us good weather for sailing down the coast, starting the in the spring.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:13   #98

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

YoloSF,

I see based on your previous threads that you want to sail around the world for charity. Can you talk about that a bit? It may put your 18 month circumnavigation and experience into perspective.

- z
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:34   #99

Boat: Tayana 37

Admit I haven't read all the posts, but if your goal is to just do it and you don't much care what you see along the way, why not do a quasi-Vendee Globe route, maybe sticking to the forties, with stops in Cape Horn and Christchurch? In your boat, perhaps not too many more than 200-250 days, especially if someone is always awake to do sail and course adjustments. Bring someone who really knows rigging. Yes, it would be rough, but we have cruising friends who have played chicken with tropical storm seasons (as you invariably would) closer to the equator and met sorry results, so perhaps not so risky in comparison.
foojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:41   #100

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I see the plan calls for a transit of the Gulf of Aden/Arabian Sea.
They say the number of pirate attacks has eased off in the last few years.
Maybe this is down to no or -at least- very very few yachts going that way these days coupled with big ships being a lot better protected and being routed via the northern Arabian Sea where possible.

Going that way in a yacht these days? Two expressions come to mind .. 'low hanging fruit' and 'Darwin Award'.

El Ping,
Bored old couch sailor at large.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:07   #101

I came into this forum, putsing around looking for info on hand held GPS devices. Instead I came across some of the best advice from a group of fine sailers trying to give very valuable advice to someone who sees heart felt advice as criticism. However for what it's worth I'm planning a circumnavagation from San Francisco myself. Presently I'm taking sailing lessons and getting my boat in order, my original plan was going to be six months now I've given up on dates and plans and I'm letting the boat decide where it wants to take me.

"Everyone has a plan. Then they get hit in the face." Mike Tyson
Old 02-04-2014, 13:03   #102

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Jeane Socrates Home did this in a little less than a year.

Basically her advice is head to the southern ocean and sail around, then come back.

Her goal was to do the circumnavigation with out stops, and be one of the few women to do so. I saw her at the Austin Yacht Club.
Old 02-04-2014, 14:06   #103

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Only 70% ? Dang, we're slipping ! Well you're just lucky it wasn't an anchor thread.
Anchor??? That is a good question……do you think he will need an anchor with just 18 months to go around?
w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 14:17   #104

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

If you don't like the advice, nobody said you had to take it.

There probably isn't anyone who has done an 18 month RTW trip on the forum,
at least that are online today.

So you are probably on your own, unless you wait a few day or weeks, someone who has done it might post.

Also, because I'm a jerk, check the airline schedule, it is quite doable in 18 months.
Old 02-04-2014, 14:31   #105

Boat: Farrier f27

Seriously Yolo; you are out of touch with reality if you don't understand what people are trying to relay to you. Slow down and listen if you want to bother posting. A hunch tells me if you go to sea with this attitude you won't last a month let alone 18.
You can't Cliff note this thing, do the serious research. If you want I could relay a number of stories of aborted attempts in mid-ocean. Because of improper and ill advised prep.
As an aside, the captain on my current ship is about to retire and do the world ARC so that is not all talk.
Wishing you the best in your prep.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation, san francisco