Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2017, 10:54   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: How to navigate new ports?

I know odeapt has a time frame, from past posts, and his time is highly subscribed, so will only say, if you read post #7 and #8 again, maybe you'll "get it" that it is different from GPS with a car, and you have a lot to learn.

In addition to all the above, do not accidentally run aground on a reef at high tide on a king tide, when the markers are under water in Kaneohe Bay. A skill you need is to integrate tidal states into your thinking about where there may be enough depth to suit the draft of your boat.

Ann
Old 08-01-2017, 11:16   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlymn View Post
I use Google earth/maps a lot, but have some wishes:

1. Can you get google earth with a depth overlay (not opencpn with a GE inset)?

2. Is it possible to use google earth offline at all zoom levels?

3. Do you think they will ever add a form of marine street view so that you can track your journey down a coast?
Don't know about 1 or 2, but 3 seems to be scary to me, I sure hope they don't. The whole idea is to enjoy your own experience out there, not to stare at a stupid screen. If you want a track, use your GPS. That's what it's for.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:50   #18

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by odeapt View Post
When you pull in to a new place, how do you navigate through it and ensure you don't hit reefs or rocks? Also how do you know exactly where to go to get to the marina?

Im buying a boat soon here in Hawaii and am going to have to move the boat to another marina eventually, so I need to figure out how to do this without hitting anything. Do you just put the coordinates of the marina into a GPS and then follow a course with depth charts?
I use my chart plotter. It shows me where my boat is and where the deep and shallow places are. Of course I use my eyes as well. And my boat's depth sounder.

When you call a marina, most will tell you how to get in. If not, ask.

From your second paragraph, I'm getting the idea that you might benefit from some books and boating courses. None of us was born knowing how to navigate a boat so don't be afraid to read and enroll in whatever courses you can find.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:07   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Assume you are moving the boat from one marina on Oahu to another. First thing, go to the new marina and check out your slip. Talk to anyone there about any hazards especially, buoys or markers that may be confusing, look at the slip as you would from the sea and how you'll approach, and iinstall your mooring lines.

Most of the marinas here don't have issues with shoaling so staying in the obvious channel is pretty easy. Get yourself a pair of polarizing sunglasses and you might be able to see the bottom. Would not advise entering any marina at night. For most of the leeward marinas shore lights can be very confusing. Seems like every year one or more boats misreads the lights and runs aground. The lava is not forgiving and groundings are almost always fatal.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:32   #20
bmz

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

I think most of the people here are just playing with you. Chart plotters have eliminated virtually all of the navigation advice given to you here. Buy a chart plotter and learn how to use it and you can easily
navigate into any coastal port in the US (of course, including Hawaii).
bmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 13:30   #21
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How to navigate new ports?

Whatever..!!!

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 13:46   #22

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

If you are asking that type of question you need to take some basic navigation and piloting courses. As far as moving the boat it sounds like you should also hire a professional. You can learn a lot from a good Captain
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 13:48   #23

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmz View Post
I think most of the people here are just playing with you. Chart plotters have eliminated virtually all of the navigation advice given to you here. Buy a chart plotter and learn how to use it and you can easily

bmz,

I'll give you the benefit of doubt and figure you're being facetious because no knowledgeable sailor would give such inane advice.
Old 08-01-2017, 13:48   #24

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Quote:
A good way to wind up on the evening news!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 14:22   #25

Boat: Rafiki 37

I was just about to respond to bmz's dangerous advice, but glad others beat me to it. Anyone who doesn't understand that a chart plotter is at least two levels removed from reality really shouldn't have one. They show you your approximate position on a chart which is an approximate representation of the world. They are wonderful tools, but I'd prioritize most of the other advice offered over primary reliance on a plotter.
Old 08-01-2017, 15:06   #26
bmz

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I was just about to respond to bmz's dangerous advice, but glad others beat me to it. Anyone who doesn't understand that a chart plotter is at least two levels removed from reality really shouldn't have one. They show you your approximate position on a chart which is an approximate representation of the world. They are wonderful tools, but I'd prioritize most of the other advice offered over primary reliance on a plotter.
For 20 years I sailed using paper charts and my depth sounder to sail the Chesapeake it was slow and laborious, and I still ran aground about once a year (in the Chesapeake running aground is no big deal). A depth sounder only tells you what is directly below your boat; and paper charts make it very difficult to know where you are vis-à-vis bottom contours and picking up markers, especially at night.

For the last 20 years, I have used chart plotters; not only have I not run aground, navigation is so much faster and easier. At all times I know the depth contours below me and exactly where to pick up markers and other navigation aids. But, apparently there are some who are so insecure that they simply cannot trust electronics. If you take the advice above literally you shouldn't even trust paper charts. There will always be luddites; but that doesn't mean that you have to listen to them.
bmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 15:10   #27

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
For 20 years I sailed using paper charts and my depth sounder to sail the Chesapeake it was slow and laborious, and I still ran aground about once a year (in the Chesapeake running aground is no big deal). A depth sounder only tells you what is directly below your boat; and paper charts make it very difficult to know where you are vis-à-vis bottom contours and picking up markers, especially at night.

For the last 20 years, I have used chart plotters; not only have I not run aground, navigation is so much faster and easier. At all times I know the depth contours below me and exactly where to pick up markers and other navigation aids. But, apparently there are some who are so insecure that they simply cannot trust electronics. If you take the advice above literally you shouldn't even trust paper charts. There will always be luddites; but that doesn't mean that you have to listen to them.
Hmmmm.... 20 40 years in home waters.... I'm surprised you need anything other than a compass and a sounder. Its called 'pilotage'.

The OP is a newbie venturing into unknown waters.....
Old 08-01-2017, 15:35   #28

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Hmmmm.... 20 40 years in home waters.... I'm surprised you need anything other than a compass and a sounder. Its called 'pilotage'.

The OP is a newbie venturing into unknown waters.....

Bet you he just daysails.
Old 08-01-2017, 15:46   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
I would have thought Google Earth is more a hazard to navigation.
In many parts of the world, a Google Earth view will tell you a lot more about the true position / shape/ size of reefs, reef passages, shoals, obstructions etc that any chart.

Check out this post for a perfect example:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2296829
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 15:52   #30

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:

I’ve seen charts, especially ones that are based on older surveys, be as much as a 1/4 nm out of location. And GPS always operates with an error range. Usually it’s in the few meter range, but it’s not uncommon to see it range as high as 30+ meters. That little dot on the glowing screen is an approximation of an approximation. It usually doesn’t matter away from the hard stuff, but if you’re going into a new port you’re likely operating in much closer water.

It’s seductive b/c it is quite good most of the time, but it would been foolish to make this your primary navigation tool. I’m not saying don’t use it — I have three on board. But give me a depth sounder and a chart any day … not sure why that would be considered “slow and laborious.”

Tags
ports