Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2015, 02:36   #1

Boat: Elan Impression 384
How to Register with AIS?

This might be a gumby question

But the Elan i have recently purchased has all the gear to be registered with AIS. I have been onto the AMSA and RMS websites but no where can i find a place to register the new boats name and details.

Can someone point me in the right direction please ? I would ask the old owner but i think he has headed overseas.

cheers
Zaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 04:25   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: How to Register with AIS?

In our country, its the agency (FCC) that issues radio licenses. The MMSI (Mobile Maritime Subscriber Identification number, something like that, from the ship's station radio license) is what gets plugged into AIS transmitters -- along with some ship's ID info -- to broadcast your AIS signal.

-Chris
Old 16-12-2015, 12:39   #3

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

Zaria,
Considering you refer to AMSA, I suppose you are Australian. If you don't already have an MMSI (Maritime Mobile Service Identity) for a DSC VHF radio on your yacht, you can apply for one by filling and sending this form: https://www.amsa.gov.au/forms-and-pu...ons/AMSA89.pdf

More information is available there: Maritime Mobile Service Identity (MMSI) - Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA)

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 00:57   #4

Boat: Elan Impression 384

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
Zaria,
Considering you refer to AMSA, I suppose you are Australian. If you don't already have an MMSI (Maritime Mobile Service Identity) for a DSC VHF radio on your yacht, you can apply for one by filling and sending this form: https://www.amsa.gov.au/forms-and-pu...ons/AMSA89.pdf

More information is available there: Maritime Mobile Service Identity (MMSI) - Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA)

Alain
Awesome Alain. Thanks heaps for that. That's exactly the info i needed.
Zaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 01:11   #5

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

As far as I can see from the AMSA web site, you must have a VHF licence as a minimum to get an MMSI number. This is what we had to do. Stupid!
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 12:31   #6

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

Quote:
As far as I can see from the AMSA web site, you must have a VHF licence as a minimum to get an MMSI number.
According to this page Maritime Mobile Service Identity (MMSI) - Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) you don't need a licence to get an Australian MMSI. You just need the AWQ or Short Range Certificate of Proficiency (Marine Radio Operator’s VHF Certificate of Proficiency – MROVCP).

IMHO, having an AIS transceiver comes second after having a VHF radio. And having a VHF radio without being proficient in using it isn't clever.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais