Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 19:01   #1

Boat: Bayliner Victoria 2750
Send a message via Yahoo to Astral Blue
Thumbs up How to run Navionics on Nexus 7

For those of you who own a Nexus 7 tablet and are frustrated with the fact that Navionics is not certified to run on it, here is a fix. For this, you will need an Android device that is compatible with Navionics (I used my phone) in addition to the Nexus 7. You also need a WIFI capable laptop and a router where all devices share the same network.

1. Download and install AirDroid on BOTH Android devices.

2. Download and install Navionics on the compatible Android device.

3. On the compatible Android device, open the AirDroid app. Follow the instructions on and use your laptop's browser to access your Android device. Copy the Navionics app to your desktop. The name of the file is USA.apk.

4. Log off your Android device and close your browser window.

5. Open the AirDroid app on your Nexus 7. Use the browser on your PC to access your device.

6. Copy the USA.apk file to the apps folder on your Nexus 7.

7. Follow the instructions on your Nexus 7 screen to finish the installation on the device.

I did this a few weeks ago and wanted to give it a chance to see how it performs before I shared the information here. It has worked flawlessly and I have encountered zero problems.
Astral Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 19:29   #2

Boat: csy 37
Re: How to run Navionics on Nexus 7

now if navionics had believable charts for the bahamas....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 16:57   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 47.7
I am a Navionics user on several devices, and I want to run a it on my new Nexus 7. I finally broke down and just called them. While tech support wouldn't give me a firm date, and I was assured that it would be released very soon.

Can't wait.
jacrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 20:57   #4

Boat: Cal 2-27

...thank you so much.....i have been using mx mariner...i hate mx mariner.....i now have back my awesome navionics!!!!so very happy...i had it sideloaded before, but kind of gave up at one of the updates it stopped working. Great thread...it works ...im getting rid of mx oncea gain
Old 08-03-2013, 23:42   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail View Post
...thank you so much.....i have been using mx mariner...i hate mx mariner.....i now have back my awesome navionics!!!!so very happy...i had it sideloaded before, but kind of gave up at one of the updates it stopped working. Great thread...it works ...im getting rid of mx oncea gain
You're welcome. Glad you were able to dump MX Mariner. I had it installed and was using it as well. It pales compared to Navionics.
Old 27-03-2013, 17:03   #6

Boat: X-342; 34 feet;

Thank you very much ... As I'm an 'IT-illiterate', I was very concerned to give it a try and follow your guide ... But it worked fine for me, and I'm very grateful for your tip. I'm using Navionics Europe with the maps of the waters around Sweden, Finland, Norway and the Baltic countries. It works fine on my new Nexus 7... Being a Dane, living in Denmark, it is 'unfortunate', that the Danish waters are not part of 'Navionics Europe ... ;o) ...

Fair wind
Flemming Torp - S/Y Gimle
flemmingtorp.blogspot.dk
Flemming Torp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 17:13   #7

Boat: Cal 2-27

I hope others like me find this thread as I have foipund the nexus and avionics are awesome together
Old 28-03-2013, 12:03   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Silverton 33' "First Noel"

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
now if navionics had believable charts for the bahamas....
check out the viewer on navionics for Bahama charts. just go to their web site and click on the Web APP, it takes you to their viewer. to make up your own mind on Bahama charting.
JNoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 20:28   #9

Boat: Irwin 25

Just want to pass on a thanks to Astral for providing the detailed steps for getting Navonics to the Nexus 7 tablet - works beautifully!
Andrew A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 07:23   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew A View Post
Just want to pass on a thanks to Astral for providing the detailed steps for getting Navonics to the Nexus 7 tablet - works beautifully!
You're welcome! Glad it worked for you.
Old 16-04-2013, 11:37   #11

Is there some other way that you are getting to the .apk file other than the list of apps? When I tried, there is a small lock icon, and it is telling me that the file is protected and cannot be copied. It was the only app like that in the list, and I tested and others would work following the steps you describe. I just purchased the program 2 days ago. I guess possibility they have added some sort of protection? Any help is appreciated.
zdunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 13:32   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdunc View Post
Is there some other way that you are getting to the .apk file other than the list of apps? When I tried, there is a small lock icon, and it is telling me that the file is protected and cannot be copied. It was the only app like that in the list, and I tested and others would work following the steps you describe. I just purchased the program 2 days ago. I guess possibility they have added some sort of protection? Any help is appreciated.
I have never encountered such a problem with any application or application folder being locked. My phone uses Android 2.3, and all of the downloaded apps were movable.

Earlier, another user sent me a PM noting he was having trouble because his phone was not rooted. Mine is rooted; and the only experience I have is with my phone (Samsung Replenish). Is your phone rooted? If not, perhaps rooting it would help.
Old 17-04-2013, 05:21   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral Blue View Post
I have never encountered such a problem with any application or application folder being locked. My phone uses Android 2.3, and all of the downloaded apps were movable.

Earlier, another user sent me a PM noting he was having trouble because his phone was not rooted. Mine is rooted; and the only experience I have is with my phone (Samsung Replenish). Is your phone rooted? If not, perhaps rooting it would help.
I have the Droid Razr Maxx with typical setup (not rooted, I guess) and Android version 4.1.2. Will look up how to root, but not getting any error messages or anything like that. It looks pretty straight forward that a company can set protection so that it can't be copied. I did some more research and tried to move Navionics over using a method with App Backup and Restore app. I ran into the same issue with USA.apk being a protected file. The version of USA.apk is 2.7.
Old 17-04-2013, 10:38   #14

Finally got it to work. Had to root phone. Still didn't work. Then used Titanium Backup. After backup, it worked. Thanks for all the info!
Old 17-04-2013, 20:11   #15

Boat: Irwin 25

FYI...I have a stock (not rooted) Droid Bionic through VzW and had no problem using Astral's guidelines...lesson here is rooting not required.

thanks Andrew
Andrew A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navionics