Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2010, 04:36   #16
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
Cat man, you may wish to try this free software programme on windows, seems to work on Mac as well (and linux if you don't like using the command line):

Download HTTrack Website Copier 3.43-9C - HTTrack Website Copier - Offline Browser
Another vote for that software. Allows you to to update as well without having to download the entire site again. Canīt see the bandwidth being a problem downloading the whole thing, itīs no more than watching a few youtube videos. I downloaded the whole site a while ago, very few updates on anything I have been interested in and anyway I would never rely solely on noonsite for anything crucial. Useful resource to have on your hard drive, even if just for dreaming of new cruising grounds.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 05:23   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geckosenator View Post
You remind me of the cop who accused me of "stealing power" from a public power outlet to power my netbook. It costs less than 2 cents to run it for 24 hours, a negligable amount considering the benefit...
Not to put too sharp a point on it; but it should be noted that the cost is all to others, and the benefit all to you.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 05:29   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by geckosenator View Post
You remind me of the cop who accused me of "stealing power" from a public power outlet to power my netbook. It costs less than 2 cents to run it for 24 hours, a negligable amount considering the benefit.

The same is true here, if it cost them more than 1/10th of a cent then they are getting ripped off. What I am suggesting is a good thing for the people running the site, because I now find their site more useful (their primary goal in the first place)

I am sure you have not seen their hosting contract therefore you are unsure of how much they are paying. Typically the hosting contracts I have been involved with allow for busrting bamdwidth and usually that costs around double. By doing a 126Mb pull at one go you could change the rate at which they are charged. Usually in hosting environments you pay for the peak and those peaks can get very expensive.

All I am suggesting is you ask before you pull an entire site. You don't know how big the site is before you pull it, you don't know the affect you are having on their bandwidth costs, nor do you know if the site is capable of sustaining that kind of load.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 08:03   #19
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
bandwidth

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Typically the hosting contracts I have been involved with allow for busrting bamdwidth and usually that costs around double.
Agree with the good manners to ask etc. But bursting bandwidth is interesting, I didnīt know that existed. What speeds would the threshold be typically? Off topic but I find this program very useful for seeing how much bandwidth different programs are using. NetLimiter - The Ultimate Bandwidth Shaper
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 08:10   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
The contacts I have been involved with you pay a committed rate at whatever $/Mb. We carried a committed rate at 50Mb/s and usually ran 2-3Mb/s under that. They sample your usage at preset intervals, every 60 seconds for instance. To bill they sort the sample and discard the top x% of them (we were billed at the 95th percentile).. That's is the rate for the month. It doesn't matter if you are idle for 94% of the time and burst to double your rate in that billed percentile, you pay for that burst. If the 95th percentile is under your committed rate you pay the committed rate. If you are over you pay committed rate plus double for the overage.

I had it fairly good as my usage was very predictable, our bandwidth graphs were almost flat at about 48Mb/s. I could spot anomalies easily and react to them in a matter of minutes. Someone trying to rip my main sites would have had a long time to download as they were very large sites.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 18:16   #21

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I am sure you have not seen their hosting contract therefore you are unsure of how much they are paying. Typically the hosting contracts I have been involved with allow for busrting bamdwidth and usually that costs around double. By doing a 126Mb pull at one go you could change the rate at which they are charged. Usually in hosting environments you pay for the peak and those peaks can get very expensive.

All I am suggesting is you ask before you pull an entire site. You don't know how big the site is before you pull it, you don't know the affect you are having on their bandwidth costs, nor do you know if the site is capable of sustaining that kind of load.
I'm not condoning what geckosenator did, but there is a way to tell wget to be nice about the bandwidth it uses by specifying it using the --limit-rate=amount option. The amount may be expressed in bytes, kilobytes with the k suffix, or megabytes with the m suffix. For example, --limit-rate=20k will limit the wget retrieval rate to 20KB/s. Of course, if you specify more than your Internet provider is capable of delivering based on your subscription, you can't exceed it.

wget is an extremely powerful command, and in the wrong hands it can really, really cause problems.
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote