Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2010, 11:32   #1

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
I Downloaded Noonsite to My Hard Drive

I downloaded the entire site, about 126M, but it took me a while with this command:

wget -l 15 -k -r -p www.noonsite.com

I thought it might be useful to mention you can have it stored for offline browsing.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 11:34   #2

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
excellent idea.. as one would be offline when you most need it

Btw you got your link converted by the forum software, it should be:

Code:
wget -l 15 -k -r -p http://www.noonsite.com/text/Countries
and that's linux only I guess?
Old 18-03-2010, 12:19   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Good idea, as long as you understand that the site gets daily updates, none of which will reside in your Cray.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 12:27   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Main reason we like to send people to Noonsite is they are about the only one stop shop that has the most current information. Being current is very important.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 13:26   #5

Yes you do want to get it updated. But it does make sense - the only time I've ever really had any use for the harbour master's vhf calling channel was when I didn't have Internet to look it up
Old 18-03-2010, 13:31   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Of course pulling an entire site down like that can be considered bad manners.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 14:07   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Of course pulling an entire site down like that can be considered bad manners.
I've had a good look around and I couldn't find any references to this on the W3C consortium site or similar web standards bodies. Could you provide a reference? Thanks
Old 18-03-2010, 15:38   #8

google pulls millions of sites all day long. What I am doing is not any different. The links get converted to work locally.
Old 18-03-2010, 15:45   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I've had a good look around and I couldn't find any references to this on the W3C consortium site or similar web standards bodies. Could you provide a reference?
I don't think the W3C is concerned in any way with this issue. They are a standards organization. It's not the fault of Noonsite or the W3C that you were able to steal their whole web site. The fact that you couldn't find anything has nothing to do with it.

Depends on what you do with it. Reposting it would be a copyright issue even though the information itself is not proprietary the presentation of it in another public venue would be. Printing the material and distributing it would also be a copyright issue even if you don't charge money. No different than if you downloaded a bunch of stuff here and did something with it. We really would come after you.

The fact that you downloaded the whole site just means you stole a lot of bandwidth they have to pay for. It also could be considered a denial of service attack. You have admitted to having done it here so that record can be found. A lot of things get found on CF. Any Google search on anything boating or related always will kick up a CF link.
Old 18-03-2010, 15:58   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
As Paul said you are over using subscribed bandwidth, which can be expensive at times.

When I see someone doing such a thing I have been known to remove their ability to attach to my web sites, and the ones I were running were substantially larger than 126Mb

A site like noonsite is based on having the latest and greatest information. You are either going to have to do a site rip frequently, put some process in place to look for changes or be out of date. It would be a nice courtesy for you to ask the web master of the site before pulling the entire site.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 16:25   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
google pulls millions of sites all day long. What I am doing is not any different. The links get converted to work locally.
Google pays for ads and delivers search engine results. You don't offer any of that. The bigger question is: Why did you ask in the first place if you were so sure about it? Just because you can, does not mean you should. The reward would come when you relied on information that was changed the day after you got it.
Old 18-03-2010, 23:50   #12

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by geckosenator View Post
I downloaded the entire site, about 126M, but it took me a while with this command:

wget -l 15 -k -r -p Noonsite: The global site for cruising sailors

I thought it might be useful to mention you can have it stored for offline browsing.
Good idea. I think I will do the same.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 00:23   #13

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by geckosenator View Post

wget -l 15 -k -r -p Noonsite: The global site for cruising sailors

Great idea but dont know how to do it, more explanation needed.

What I have previously done is just copy and past relevant pages including pictures into a word doc or pdf and then file in the appropriate folder and library
Old 19-03-2010, 00:54   #14

Cat man, you may wish to try this free software programme on windows, seems to work on Mac as well (and linux if you don't like using the command line):

Download HTTrack Website Copier 3.43-9C - HTTrack Website Copier - Offline Browser
Old 19-03-2010, 02:41   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
As Paul said you are over using subscribed bandwidth, which can be expensive at times.
You remind me of the cop who accused me of "stealing power" from a public power outlet to power my netbook. It costs less than 2 cents to run it for 24 hours, a negligable amount considering the benefit.

The same is true here, if it cost them more than 1/10th of a cent then they are getting ripped off. What I am suggesting is a good thing for the people running the site, because I now find their site more useful (their primary goal in the first place)

Quote:
A site like noonsite is based on having the latest and greatest information. You are either going to have to do a site rip frequently, put some process in place to look for changes or be out of date. It would be a nice courtesy for you to ask the web master of the site before pulling the entire site.
Excellent point. I think I will email them and request rsync ability (so you only download the changes) This can be also compressed and thus reduce bandwidth consumption to be negligible. Much lower than people who dont download the site and reload it in a browser all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Google pays for ads and delivers search engine results. You don't offer any of that. The bigger question is: Why did you ask in the first place if you were so sure about it? Just because you can, does not mean you should.
Actually you have it backwards. People pay google for ads. Of course I am sure about what I did. The whole point of this thread is to make sure everyone else knows how to do it, and how easy it is.