Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 16:56   #46

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Re: I want to use my Mac Book as a chart plotter

brak, last night I downloaded the new 1.5 version. I couldn't find the POI from Active Captain so I realized I wasn't using the latest. Not a single glitch of any kind so far. Excellent.

I joined AC a few weeks ago and found it very useful for planning. Even the old salts on the dock around here are wondering how I am a well informed newbie. The integration with PolarNavy is very nice. All that input and the vector Chart Information is so helpful to me as a new sailor planning my first coastal cruise.

My hats off to you and the AC crew. You guys are really giving me a head start and undoubtedly making my journey safer as well. Throw NOAA in the mix and the cost is not a barrier for anyone to be a safer, well informed sailor.

For decades I've leveraged technology for my benefit in all life's experiences, and this is the latest example.

Thanks sincerely.
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 18:29   #47
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
My hats off to you and the AC crew. You guys are really giving me a head start and undoubtedly making my journey safer as well.
I'm glad to hear that it's helping. Of course, if you're gaining something from it, you should be giving something back too. All of the next newbie's would love to read your reviews as a newbie yourself. You'll have a different perspective than others. The value of AC is that multiple viewpoints from different people with different levels of experience provide a much better image of reality for others to judge.

Besides, you get awards too!
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 18:46   #48

I intend to do so, with the clear indication I'm new to the game.

Done only two reviews so far. One about the marina where I'm located and the other about where had my first grounding occurred. But I got ungrounded by myself and learned something in the process.

I was hoping to make it longer before that took place but it happens.

I'm heading north to Mobile, AL from the Tampa area, and on up the AL river system.Then hopefully next winter back down all the way to Key West to escape the cold. That's assuming I can earn some cruising cash over the summer.
Old 03-04-2011, 18:57   #49
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
I intend to do so, with the clear indication I'm new to the game.

Done only two reviews so far. One about the marina where I'm located and the other about where had my first grounding occurred. But I got ungrounded by myself and learned something in the process.

I was hoping to make it longer before that took place but it happens.

I'm heading north to Mobile, AL from the Tampa area, and on up the AL river system.Then hopefully next winter back down all the way to Key West to escape the cold. That's assuming I can earn some cruising cash over the summer.
I had my first grounding about 5 hours into my very first trip. So, don't feel bad.

Might not have happened if Active Captain had been around back then.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 19:00   #50
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
Show me someone who doesn't go aground once in a while, and I'll show you someone who doesn't leave the dock.

It happens to everyone. Even us.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 19:07   #51
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
Sometimes even knowing exactly where not to go won't help

Some years ago I got stuck on a very well known shoal right outside my marina. The day was too nice or whatever, my attention wandered for a sec. - and that was it. Provided a lot of entertainment to people on the dock 50 yards away.
Old 03-04-2011, 19:47   #52

I know the emphasis here is on simplicity, but I wonder if any of these programs work with the Standard Horizon Matrix AIS+?
JimM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 20:22   #53

PolarView , OpenCPN, and MacENC all accept AIS data input. As to how it works with your specific radio, I don't know. That exploration is down the road for me. I'm using a handheld Standard Horizon w/gps and dsc right now. When I get a mounted radio it will be capable of this function and I'll explore it then.

I believe MacENC will overlay radar data as well.

I think most everything the costly nav software does is there. So there is capability to incorporate more functionality as needed or desired by skipper.

For me, creating routes, viewing tides and currents, downloading grib info, and acquiring "local knowledge" with Active Captain source info is the start. That's enough, nine months into the experience for me.

BTW, I have noticed my mac can "go to sleep" while running the gps in PolarView and actively tracking then wake up and continue without a problem. I don't think that occurred on the previous version and was some concern. At any rate that will help with energy consumption while underway.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:09   #54
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Often one can connect a bare wire NMEA-0183 output (i.e. GPS, AIS, instruments with a USB to serial adapter such as this one..

Data Cable

Or if you have more than one NMEA-0183 connection consider a Multiplexer like those from Shipmodul or Brookhouse.
Old 21-04-2011, 14:17   #55

Boat: Stevens Custom 40
Re: I Want to Use my Mac Book as a Chart Plotter

I keep toying with Mac charting - I have played around with both MacEnc and NavX. I have a Mac Mini with dc supply at the chart table, and use the MAC side for everything but charting. Bootcamped it so I have Windows 7 and MaxSea Time Zero (which works great with Active captain). I have to say I really like the MaxSea TZ and it works directly with my Furuno stuff. Also have a macbook set up the same way, primarily as a backup. I keep thinking about getting rid of Windows though ....

https://blog.peregrinesea.com
PeregrineSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 15:18   #56
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I'm testing Maxsea Timezero v1.9.0 on a Macbook Pro with Windows XP and it's the best ever chartplotter I've ever put my hands on. Active Captain, shore-side AIS etc. All my N2K Maretron sensors (GPS, Wind/weather, heading/pitch/roll, depth/speed/temp) are available using either the Maretron N2K<>USB gateway or the Ethernet Navnet link to a Furuno plotter.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 15:39   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi
I'm testing Maxsea Timezero v1.9.0 on a Macbook Pro with Windows XP and it's the best ever chartplotter I've ever put my hands on. Active Captain, shore-side AIS etc. All my N2K Maretron sensors (GPS, Wind/weather, heading/pitch/roll, depth/speed/temp) are available using either the Maretron N2K<>USB gateway or the Ethernet Navnet link to a Furuno plotter.

ciao!
Nick.
We agree! Works great with windows 7 which is more stable I think. Turned off auto updates, caused problems. I have furuno class b ais. Great display on tz!

Old 21-04-2011, 16:06   #58

Boat: Tayana 37

These latest responses are awesome and the timing couldn't be better. We are enrolled in a laptop navigation class next month. I will take my iPad so I can pull up your responses for the instructor. I am thoroughly convinced that through your responses and what i pick up in the class, I will be able to build a near perfect (Mac) nav station. We're heading south towards Panama right after hurricane season. I am concerned about the availability of electronic charts for the area. That's just one more thing I have to check into with the class instructor next month. Once again, thank you for your input to my post.
Lesterbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 16:18   #59

Speaking of iPad, it ca be used as a repeater and remote for pc and Mac. Seems to be better with pc and I use it with maxsea time zero,great display!! Just need to have the iPad and computer on same wifi. Easy since we have own on PEREGRINA.

Old 21-04-2011, 18:16   #60
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesterbranch View Post
We're heading south towards Panama right after hurricane season. I am concerned about the availability of electronic charts for the area.
The C-Map charts (Jeppesen) have a Caribbean pack that includes Panama and is your best bet for the area. It won't be good enough for areas in the San Blas but by the time you get there, you will have received a copy of SeaClear with the digitized charts from the Eric Bauhaus cruising guide to Panama from another cruiser.

These charts work with both MaxSea Timezero and the Navnet 3d units from Furuno (is also Maxsea Timezero internally).

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts, chartplotter