Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2021, 10:49   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
ICW (Middle to South Eastern) questions

I did not want to hijack another thread with this question that stemmed from reading it a few minutes ago.

My question to those who've done it. How do you get over the anxiety the first time(s) you approach the bridge knowing you merely a few feet of space between the top of your mast (antenna) and the bridge but it looms there in front of you, inexorably approaching slowly?

Our approach to the 75 ft height last Fall of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel gave me a small bit of angst. I knew it was 75 ft, every chart and reference I could fine said it was so. However, the wife was not so certain, and she's usually the brave one! I was actually surprised at my lack of pit-of-stomach issue to be honest. I was confident. I struggle with that though thinking of 1-2 feet as opposed to 11-12 feet. Perhaps I answered my own question just then? You know you have X height, and I know the tide is Y, and the board over there showing Z clearance (if board is there).

Additionally, final thought, we are mostly entirely planning (reason #429 we upgraded to the size boat we did) Atlantic cruising and provided we can stay healthy and all that beyond.
glanrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 11:14   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: ICW (Middle to South Eastern) questions

I have a short 58.5' rig for my boat size with a long boom that makes up the sail area. But I understand the question and on my first trip I experienced that "will we make it". Over time I just learned to believe the stated clearances and height boards and stopped looking up. 100s, at least, sailboats travel the ICW each year and the clearance is will known.

So like my answer on that "other thread" the bridge have not changed heights. If it says it is a 64' bridge it is 64' min at mean high water. If it is Sept etc and a hurricane has passed recently, or it has been raining cats and dogs you have to plan around it and maybe call the bridge the day before for conditions
Old 18-05-2021, 12:58   #3

Thanks for your response. I knew when I posted, for some its an obvious answer, in some ways for me too. However that doesn't stop that pit of stomach, bottom dropping out, feeling.

Thanks again!
Old 18-05-2021, 13:23   #4

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

The closer your mast height is to the height of the bridge shown on the tideboard the more nerve wracking it can be but like sailorboy says after a while you start to trust the tideboards. After at least a hundred bride crossings now it doesn't bother me anymore, but for at least our first two ICW trips it always made me a little nervous.

Both our current and former boat, like most boats I see, have the top of the VHF antenna as the highest point. We have had the antenna touch the underside of a bridge. In that one instance, somewhere between West Palm Beach and Jupiter but I don't recall which bridge, the tideboard may have been off by a half a foot, or I may have just mis-read it in the chop. If you do have a bridge where the tideboard shows you will be very close consider your own situation. If you are just likely to drag the antenna across the bottom of the girders that is one thing while knocking off your wind instrument is another and actually hitting the mast is still another. The first is a learning experience. The second is a little painful. The last is a really bad day. Proceed accordingly.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 13:40   #5

Thank you!

I know from spec sheet the height (63' 4"), need to go back up there and measure the antenna just to have the final number in my head. And then write it down because while I used to have a photographic memory, it developed leaks over the years and no amount of plugging has corrected the issue.
Old 18-05-2021, 14:01   #6
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by glanrock View Post
Thanks for your response. I knew when I posted, for some its an obvious answer, in some ways for me too. However that doesn't stop that pit of stomach, bottom dropping out, feeling.

Thanks again!
It's no different than for a deep draft boat "knowing" the ICW is 12'min mostly
Old 18-05-2021, 14:03   #7
CLOD

BTW - I have seen a few Catalina 470s on the ICW the last few years
Old 18-05-2021, 14:07   #8

Two good points! I actually have communicated with at least one 470 owner down in FL, but I failed to ask if they were planning any ICW trips. I'll remedy that!
Old 19-05-2021, 08:35   #9

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

The easy way is definitely to go outside. I don't have air draft issues, and I still go outside every time I can. The only really long stretch is between Mayport and Canaveral. Every other major-inlet-to-major-inlet run is 90 miles or less if I recall correctly. So much easier than the ICW.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 09:04   #10
mnh

Boat: Hinckley Custom 45 ft. yawl

You might want to have a rigger measure from the wind instrument down to the deck, then get in the dink and measure accurately from mast base to water line. Then write it down of course. The rigger can inspect your stuff aloft too before taking off, which is not a bad idea.

One other point is to keep both your fuel and water tanks full, and put the dinghy on the deck. It will give you some additional clearance depending on the size of your tanks and the weight of your dinghy.
mnh
mnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 09:05   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Anymore I just refuse to look up.

I need to treat myself like a child.

I look at the data, make a “go/no-go” decision then keep my eyes open for extenuating circumstances. And then “just fricking DO-IT” !!!

Never get used to it. When I look I KNOW I am gonna hit.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 09:24   #12

I did it with a 65 ft mast so it was pretty scary for a while for sure. At times the VHF antenna pinged bridge girders.
There are depth boards ("tideboards") on the bridges at the bottom near the water which read the current depth status. Using this vs charted vertical clearance you can develop a comfort level. So if the chart says the bridge is 67 feet and the depth board says +1, you have 66 feet. Once you know how you fit under one, you can ascertain how much comfort you have.
- Many bridges get fairly good current under them. Don't get too close until you are ready to go through! You may get sucked through.
- make a wide pass to check things out and circle around if necessary. You need good turning room if there is current.
-Have good binoculars.
-My first 65 ft bridge I got sucked through, I tried to back up but that just turned the boat sideways and I went through with the current. I guess if you are going to hit .....sideways is good!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 09:55   #13

Boat: Hunter 40.5 and C+C36

I had a 63.3' mast with wind transducer and tricolor light on top. A GA bridge removed them for me. I would recommend taking them down until you won't go under bridges. Eventually I moved the wind transducer onto an arm at the front of the mast that was lower than the top. I put the light on a spring.
j.g.evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 10:42   #14

Quote:
...because while I used to have a photographic memory, it developed leaks over the years and no amount of plugging has corrected the issue.
Thanks!

I will use that line in the future since it applies to me as well!

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 10:49   #15

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
I did not want to hijack another thread with this question that stemmed from reading it a few minutes ago.

My question to those who've done it. How do you get over the anxiety the first time(s) you approach the bridge knowing you merely a few feet of space between the top of your mast (antenna) and the bridge but it looms there in front of you, inexorably approaching slowly?

Our approach to the 75 ft height last Fall of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel gave me a small bit of angst. I knew it was 75 ft, every chart and reference I could fine said it was so. However, the wife was not so certain, and she's usually the brave one! I was actually surprised at my lack of pit-of-stomach issue to be honest. I was confident. I struggle with that though thinking of 1-2 feet as opposed to 11-12 feet. Perhaps I answered my own question just then? You know you have X height, and I know the tide is Y, and the board over there showing Z clearance (if board is there).

Additionally, final thought, we are mostly entirely planning (reason #429 we upgraded to the size boat we did) Atlantic cruising and provided we can stay healthy and all that beyond.
If you or she wasn't certain, why not just go out over one of the tunnels? That's my normal way, but I'm usually going out on the Southern end.

I did go under the 40' section inside Fishermen's Island a few years back. I went under it very slowly, but it was still an uncomfortable experience.

Then when I got past that I didn't find the depth I was hoping for and had about 1' to play with a close to high tide.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
icw