Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2015, 12:19   #1

In search of the Ideal sailing app

Hi everyone,
I am considering doing a sailing app in which you could see the services each port offers and also how to get in and out depending on the weather conditions. Please let me know whether this last point would be helpful or if there would be any other sort of sailing app that might be more helpful and needed. Thanks a lot in advance your honesty is appreciated
surfingig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 03:23   #2

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: In search of the Ideal sailing app

Look up squiddio an app wokrking with that might be good

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 04:39   #3

You mean squidoo?, i couldn´t find squiddio, thanks
surfingig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 05:18   #4

Boat: Lagoon 450, Bavaria Vision 40

Have you looked at "Active Captain"? It does that sort of thing.
roetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 05:27   #5

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingig View Post
Hi everyone,
I am considering doing a sailing app in which you could see the services each port offers and also how to get in and out depending on the weather conditions. Please let me know whether this last point would be helpful or if there would be any other sort of sailing app that might be more helpful and needed. Thanks a lot in advance your honesty is appreciated
Regarding the first part, there are a number of apps that already do this. The navigation apps from Garmin and Navionics, for example, in addition to navigation data, also show marinas, restaurants, etc. for ports. There is also Active Captain which sports crowd-sourced data such as gas prices, boat yard reviews, etc.

As for the second, outside of navigation data, I don't see how you can create a useful app. Getting in and out can be highly circumstantial depending on wind, currents, and local conditions. You can't write an algorithm for that. The best you could do would be to crowd-source comments and notes.

As for other sailing apps, there are a ton already out there. Anchor alarms, racing apps and timers, polar diagram development, etc. At a casual glance the market seems a bit saturated, but maybe that's just because I don't have a killer app idea.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, sail, sailing