Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2021, 09:07   #1

iNavX and CHS charts

I just purchased iNavX for iPad expecting that I could download CHS charts as stated on the iNavX website, however I'm not seeing CHS charts as an option in iNavX's in-app chart store. Am I missing something?
Carrick_Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 09:33   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: iNavX and CHS charts

INavx store lists the CHS raster chart sets, same as available from many marine outlets (e.g., https://www.marineoutfitters.ca/mobi...oduct=63757702)

Normally, one purchase a license "key" for the charts and then goes to the CHS Data Portal with this key to download charts. Chart updates are available for 24 months.

Make sure iNavx price is not higher than CHS established prices.

Note: CHS is slowly moving away from raster charts, moving to vector. Raster charts that are being retired have a vector equivalent that CHS indicates will be included. As a regular user of CHS raster chart sets (in OpenCPN), I'm not sure how this will work.

OpenCPN users (all platforms except iOS) can get CHS vector charts from O-Charts at a very reasonable price.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 13:52   #3

Boat: Mirage 35

I have purchased CHS raster charts directly through iNavX so, unless it has changed, they should be there somewhere.

Contact their support if you can't find it - they're usually pretty helpful.
Old 21-08-2021, 11:40   #4

It seems I spoke too soon. The next time I opened iNavX the CHS charts (and some others) had finally appeared in the chart store.

A couple related questions:

If I purchase CHS charts through iNavX, do I receive some sort of key for use with CHS that allows me to use the purchased charts on other devices? Or am I paying $120 for the privilege of only using the charts on iNavX for a year (half the time CHS supports purchased charts with updates)?

Has anyone heard an update on when iNavX will get ENC support?

Certain aspects of iNavX are nice, but the lack of ENC support, chart stitching, and auto chart selection based on zoom level is puzzling. I consider these "features" to be required basic functionality.

I am definitely on the OpenCPN tip, but a reasonably priced, competent tablet chartplotter would be a nice addition to the navigation lineup.
Carrick_Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2021, 12:38   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41

NORMALLY, when you purchase CHS Raster chart sets, you are able to (legally limited to) put them on a total of two devices. (There are no impediments to additional devices, other than the LEGAL terms of use.)

Updating the charts is normally monthly.

NORMALLY, you get a purchase key, and download charts from CHS Data Portal (after setting up your registration).

I don't know what iNavX does, but the above is the norm

I find OpenCPN works well on Android tablets.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2021, 19:38   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
NORMALLY, when you purchase CHS Raster chart sets, you are able to (legally limited to) put them on a total of two devices. (There are no impediments to additional devices, other than the LEGAL terms of use.)

Updating the charts is normally monthly.

NORMALLY, you get a purchase key, and download charts from CHS Data Portal (after setting up your registration).

I don't know what iNavX does, but the above is the norm

I find OpenCPN works well on Android tablets.
The CHS charts sold through iNavx are for an annual subscription to those raster charts. They are not linked to iNavX devices per se, but to your iNavX account.

You should be able to use them through all devices you have iNavX installed on.
iNavX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts, iNavX