Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2017, 14:43   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31
Re: iNavX charts disappeared (Navionics)

Mike, I think my charts will disappear again in exactly 1 years time. The reason is I see Andre gave all my chart folios 365 days subscription. In the past the charts disappeared on the date that the subscription ran out.

I must admit that something has changed in either iNavX or the charts as I am seeing greatly enhanced detail on the charts than were previously shown. Even the charts that were re-loaded in mid May were not as detailed as what I am now seeing. But, as you say, I no longer have much confidence in the setup anymore.
John
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 20:24   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Turn off all of your automatic updates.

ALWAYS Turn off all updates.

Otherwise when vendor bricks an app feature ahem chart vendor or otherwise paywalls the app you cannot go back to what you had.

Possibly Navionics did that maybe 6 - 8 years back. There's a rational for updated charts so you can sorta see why. Sorta.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 20:34   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

We support many IOS and Android apps... my experience with iNavX tech support is very positive; they are available and responsive...
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 05:02   #49

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

Damn, I have just noticed that I am in the same boat as you guys. My charts for Australia & The Pacific Islands have now disappeared. My X-Traverse subscription has expired but as someone has already said you are supposed to have the charts for the life of your device regardless of the subscription.

Off to tech support for me now as well, they must be getting flooded with enquiries.
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 02:12   #50

Boat: Soverel 48

BEWARE,,, For the 3rd time my Navionics charts on inavx have disappeared. Twice this has happened immediately before embarking on a long ocean passage. This is extremely dangerous. Each time I have had a problem the customer support individual has been very knowledgeable and fixed my immediate problem. The larger problem is you cannot foresee when your charts will just disappear. I never update my charts as I am concerned this may trigger a problem and I do not do automatic updates on anything. This product is just too dangerous to continue using
Old 21-10-2017, 02:06   #51
Marine Service Provider

The good thing (if it can be called that), is that they no longer have tho old charts and you automatically get updated to a more detailed chart set. The latest "fix" has now stayed stable for a few months - touch wood!
Old 21-10-2017, 02:52   #52

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Electronic charts disappearing?
The quickest fix for that is the old standby, paper charts. Gosh, what a concept.
Who would have thought of paper charts.
Unless the USCG has changed their rules, they still require you have current charts onboard.
I am told about a guy who considered the paper placed under the plate, at a restaurant, as paper charts. I am told he was very successful in his journeys too.
IMO, we have become too dependent on electronic "stuff" including electronic charts.
IF you do not update your position on the paper chart, at least put your position in your log, on a scheduled interval. Wait, you don't plot your position and time on your charts? Excuse me, I think I will catch the next boat, please.
Old 21-10-2017, 03:41   #53
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943 View Post
The quickest fix for that is the old standby, paper charts. Gosh, what a concept.
Unless the USCG has changed their rules, they still require you have current charts onboard.
I am told about a guy who considered the paper placed under the plate, at a restaurant, as paper charts. I am told he was very successful in his journeys too.
IMO, we have become too dependent on electronic "stuff" including electronic charts.
IF you do not update your position on the paper chart, at least put your position in your log, on a scheduled interval. Wait, you don't plot your position and time on your charts? Excuse me, I think I will catch the next boat, please.
Not applicable to the problem at hand; the electronic charts are being used with a chartplotter.

Fortunately, our INavx charts on three iPads have not had a problem in over 8 years, so we're sticking with the company. We also have complete sets of paper charts and cruising guides aboard. But most people today rely on electronic... nothing wrong with that IMO.

We met a couple last month who navigated successfully over 700nm along Croatia using only their iPhone with navionics. The world has changed.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 03:56   #54
Marine Service Provider

Quote:

Olddan, you have obviously not read the topic - it is specific and is not a discussion regarding paper and digital, so please keep to the topic. It has to do with digital charts and a specific software application that had a bit of an incompatibility problem, which the vendors have rectified. Although some people do have paper back-up, most of us do enjoy the ease and freedom that electronics on board small boats offers and keep the paper stowed elsewhere.

And now back to the topic.
Old 21-10-2017, 05:28   #55

Boat: Rafiki 37

To update my saga, after getting my problem fixed by having the techies extend my license and then reloading all my charts (at no small cost in time and cell-data), I had no more problems our entire season. I didn’t update the charts, nor did I update the app over that time.

Once I got back to terra-firma, and had access to good cheap wifi, I undertook a complete restore on my iPad (it had other, unrelated issues going on). This, of course, erased all my charts. When I went to restore them they were gone from the chart list again.

I tried the work arounds suggested by Fugawi, but they didn’t work (like they didn’t work last time). I was just about to contract them again when I noticed there was another iNavx update available, so I updated the app.

This solved my current problem. The charts reappeared, and I was able to update them even with an expired license.

I don’t know if this means things are all OK in iNavx/Fugawi world, but for now things are working.
Old 21-10-2017, 08:07   #56

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Olddan, you have obviously not read the topic - it is specific and is not a discussion regarding paper and digital, so please keep to the topic. It has to do with digital charts and a specific software application that had a bit of an incompatibility problem, which the vendors have rectified. Although some people do have paper back-up, most of us do enjoy the ease and freedom that electronics on board small boats offers and keep the paper stowed elsewhere.

And now back to the topic.
John, you miss my point. It is wise to have at least two forms of charts. I have experienced a GPS antenna failure.
Old 21-10-2017, 08:20   #57
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
John, you miss my point. It is wise to have at least two forms of charts. I have experienced a GPS antenna failure.

Olddan, I have not missed your point - it has been discussed adnausium in other threads on CF. This thread is not a debate about paper v electronic! It is purely about a program called iNavX and the associated Navionics charts.
Old 21-10-2017, 12:40   #58

Boat: Jeanneau 54DS

Update the iNavX app, the charts will reappear... just did it
Phoenician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 12:42   #59

Boat: TBC

I bought Navionics Android phone app when it first came out. There was no indication of this being a yearly subscription at the time I bought it.
Now I find that certain functions of the app have been removed and are only available via subscription.
Anyone else noticed this?
FilBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 23:47   #60
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilBrown View Post
I bought Navionics Android phone app when it first came out. There was no indication of this being a yearly subscription at the time I bought it.
Now I find that certain functions of the app have been removed and are only available via subscription.
Anyone else noticed this?

You are talking about the Navionics App - let's not confuse it with the iNavX App which this thread is about. I think, if you do a CF search, you will find a thread covering your issues.

Tags
charts, iNavX, navionics