Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2016, 07:32   #31

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: iNavx - serious short comings

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
Free software does not violate Apple's terms. There is quite a bit of free software on the App Store.
GPL licensed free software (=OpenCPN) can not be distributed through Apple App Store. Read GPL Enforcement in Apple's App Store — Free Software Foundation — working together for free software
And yes, it sucks, read No GPL Apps for Apple's App Store | ZDNet

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:03   #32

Boat: Rafiki 37

Lots of review sites out there. Even Practical Sailor done a number of them. Here’s one that’s been out there for a while. Not connected in anyway, but the info seems credible:

i-Marine Apps: Best Marine Charting Apps
Old 11-12-2016, 10:47   #33
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Lots of review sites out there. Even Practical Sailor done a number of them. Here’s one that’s been out there for a while. Not connected in anyway, but the info seems credible:

i-Marine Apps: Best Marine Charting Apps
Thanks Mike.

That's an excellent resource.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:20   #34

Boat: Lagoon 40

Lots of posts on this! I have been using iNavX very successfully for the last 3 years. I like it very much as it integrates AIS data from my Vesper Watchmate. I had some issues with an iOS update earlier this year, but iNavX support was very helpful and fixed the issue quickly. I use it with Navionics chart set. I have Navionics also, but unless they have changed something recently, Navionics does not integrate AIS data.
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 00:37   #35

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
GPL licensed free software (=OpenCPN) can not be distributed through Apple App Store. Read GPL Enforcement in Apple's App Store — Free Software Foundation — working together for free software
And yes, it sucks, read No GPL Apps for Apple's App Store | ZDNet

Pavel
Yes this sucks. And I stand corrected here. However, there is "open source" software on the Apple Store, (and even in iOS itself), just not GPL... That is what at first confused me.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 00:40   #36

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

One issue with navigation apps, at least here in Europe, is that there are no free maps this side of the Atlantic...
So the price of maps, how easy they are to purchase and how long you get updates matters too.
One thing that put me off iNavX (and navionic) is that I would have had to buy separate sets for my iPhone and my iPad. And you only get two activations if I am not mistaken.
With iSailor you do not have that issue. A map set you buy is good on any device linked to the same Apple Acount. And I am still getting updates for maps I bought 3 years ago.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:12   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete O Static View Post
I have used iNav x, Navionics and Transas iSailor.

I don't really like iNav X but the bigger mystery to me is the popularity of Navionics. Goes to show what marketing does. It is very expensive and on several occasions I have found the maps to be so inaccurate against a radar overlay that I refuse to use it anymore.

Transas iSailor on the other hand has been excellent. Free app and once you buy the charts, all subsequent chart updates are free. Very intuitive and simple, not like iNav X and much more accurate than Navionics.

I have no affiliation with Transas.
We have used Inavx and Isailor extensively throughout North America, Europe and the Caribbean. The isailor charts are the only charts you can totally rely on, especially in places like Cuba and Bahamas, if you aren't using Garmin or CMap Explorer Charts. Inavx is hard to deal with, especially if you need to load Charts on a new device, not to mention the short comings of Navionics Charts. Isailor maybe more expensive in the initial outlay but in the long run you will have superior charts, updated on multiple devices (under the same account) and easy transfer to any new iOS device. If your serious it is a no brainier
Expedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 14:06   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I had never played with iSailor, just downloaded it, looked at the Huahine chart that we have previously discussed in depth . . . . I am not very impressed with a charting app where the reef disappears as you zoom in, but perhaps I am doing something wrong?

Here it is initially, showing reef:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1088.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	354.8 KB
ID:	155245

And here very slightly zoomed in, reef gone:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1089.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	442.2 KB
ID:	155246
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 12:52   #39

Boat: 2015 Leopard 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
For iNavx to function properly, you need a cellular ipad with the built in GPS antenna. The wifi only ipads won't work properly.
Anyone have success using a tethered inReach as the iPad GPS in the case Kenomac mentions above (like ours )?
Old 14-11-2017, 13:29   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Hmm this is the second thread bashing iNavx in 2days....

For the record I have iNavx on an iPad it’s an internal GPS... works like a charm on deliveries as my shallow water chart plotter (I know those charts are current!). On my boat I use the Vesper WiFi to feed location, AIS, heading, etc to the iPad. On my boat it is a second plotter at the nav station.

Great product!
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 14:07   #41

Location: Boat is on the hard in San Carlos for the tropical storm season. We are back in the PNW
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Casey View Post
Anyone have success using a tethered inReach as the iPad GPS in the case Kenomac mentions above (like ours )?
We have an InReach, but have not tried it on our WiFi only iPad, which works well with our Bad Elf gps puck. I will try it and see how it does and report back.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 14:16   #42

Thanks!
Old 14-11-2017, 15:33   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

INavX is far from perfect but I get the best charts for them. I greatly dislike vector charts so I stick with raster. NOAA/CHA/EXPLORER/NV. I did download some Navionics charts of S America. Not impressed.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 17:09   #44

Location: Boat is on the hard in San Carlos for the tropical storm season. We are back in the PNW
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeys Kitchen View Post
We have an InReach, but have not tried it on our WiFi only iPad, which works well with our Bad Elf gps puck. I will try it and see how it does and report back.
Ok - very limited test.

I could pair the InReach with my iPad and it did appear to relay the GPS data from the InReach to the iPad. I had our version of Navionics open and was able to move the location indicator of the boat around when I walked around with the InReach and iPad. I am currently on the dock in Petersburg, AK and will not be moving the boat out till spring, though, so a better test would be in order prior to using it for navigation.

Be advised that the InReach can only pair with one implement at a time (so it seems to us - we can only get one iPhone at a time on it) so if you do pair it to the iPad, you would have to have the Earthmate app on the iPad in order to use the InReach to communicate with someone.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 06:15   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeys Kitchen View Post
Ok - very limited test.
Thanks for that.

Tags
iNavX