Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2011, 10:16   #16

Re: Intracoastal Waterway in NJ - Check My Chart Reading, Please

By the way, if anyone has a trailer for a 25' Catalina that they'd like to lend... (just thought I'd put that out there!)
JimGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 10:23   #17

If it's 60 miles or more, I would plan on a stop overnight.... especially with a "new to you boat". A 25 foot boat might only average 4 knots, maybe more.... First rule: be conservative in all respects!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 10:32   #18

Just called Morrison's and Holgate marina's, both are booked. Apparently there's a chowder festival this weekend.
Old 27-09-2011, 12:29   #19

It's about 30 miles from Toms River to the Little Egg Harbor inlet, and another roughly 30 miles from the Little Egg Harbor inlet to Ocean City, _if_ I take the ocean side. I haven't measured the distance if I take the ICW. The two things that bother me about the ICW route are the bridges and the longer ride. But maybe I'm overthinking the ICW route too much.

BTW, I'm still looking into the trailers; don't think I've given up on them! Just trying to make sure I have all bases covered.
Old 27-09-2011, 13:16   #20

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGo View Post
Just called Morrison's and Holgate marina's, both are booked. Apparently there's a chowder festival this weekend.
I just heard about the chowder festival today, from someone who lives on the island. Too Bad..they would have been great stops. I'll put on my thinking cap for other options for you.

Trailering, could certainly make life easy..but hey..you just bought a boat...this is a great little trip!..to build your confidence and shake down the new boat.

I'd still stay inside, unless you get a very nice weather window!....
The new boat..the "green" factor and the potential for stronger than average winds all suggest a conservative approach..

To be honest, I never worried too much about Tides and Currents in Barnegat Bay..proper. The tidal range is minimal the further you get from the inlets.. ( inches) and the currents are not that substantial.
I think taking advantage of daylight hours..is more of a concern.
Taking advantage of this weekends Northwest winds..is a plus..

If I recall much of the bay lays out @ about 210 degrees..which is right into the prevailing Southwesterlies..so a NW wind is your friend...
West winds also tend to push water out of the bay..

Do you have a depth-sounder? that is going to be your best friend, along with a good chart or GPS plotter...a pair of binoculars..The route zig-zags alot..don't cut corners...stay in the channel....

Is this an outboard? or inboard? how much fuel do you carry?
Old 27-09-2011, 13:45   #21

Regarding the tidal current, I am probably overreacting a bit. I was in Avalon a few weeks ago and watched the tidal current just tear through the inlet and some of the close-in channels. It was crazy! I haven't been in Ocean City's bays for a good 20 years, so I can't remember now whether the current is strong or not. If it is anything like Avalon, I won't be going very far/fast. But it's nice to know I won't be fighting anything TOO strong in Barnegat Bay.

I'm of the "shake-out" mind, too. But, of course, I'd really rather shake her (and me) out on a 2-3 hour ride, not a 2 day adventure! I'll have to see what I can work out with the seller.

She comes with a GPS, but I'll have to figure out how to use it, so I'm not relying on it for this trip. I have charts of the area, and since I'll largely be following the ICW, it shouldn't be TOO bad. I know better than to stray too far from the marked channel. All of the rain we've had this year makes me a little worried about just how silted over the channels are, but given the 2' draft, I'm not TOO worried. Yes, it does have a depth sounder.

It's an outboard, and I'll be bringing along extra gas, just to play it safe. The only thing I won't have is an extra engine. But, I guess that's where Sea Tow or Boat US comes into play.
Old 27-09-2011, 14:49   #22
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

If you go inside, I'd suggest you learn the GPS at least enough to plot a course through the southern end of Barnegat Bay. When I went through (about 10 years ago), there was at least one spot where it was 2 miles between markers and a less than 100' wide channel, with less than 3' depth out of the channel. That's hard to do by sight. I managed it only running aground once. That night I figured out the GPS.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 15:17   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Laurent Giles Salar 40

I'm located 10mi north of Lavellete, on the ocean and the fog has been thick as pea soup past 2 mornings. If the fog persists, it will be difficult to make time. Can't say what fog conditions are to the south, but check it out before you commit.
chris07732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 17:31   #24

The Fog should get blown out this weekend...this system over us now has been stalled for days....Raritan Bay was in dense fog yesterday afternoon too.

A pair of binoculars are useful on BB, a handbearing compass. Most of the marks are visible from each other on a clear day. But, It helps to know where to look.
So if you're not planning on using the GPS...I would plot out the course at home on the chart...and list the course from pole to pole with the corresponding #'s and just put them on a clipboard in the cockpit with you.....as a list.
So once you reach one mark...you just look at your clip board and see where the next one is...Magnetic course....and steer it..while you look for the mark with the glasses.

Dacust is right...the channel is narrow...and there's only one pole often set 2 miles apart...so that's why you have to always look behind you to make sure you are keeping the two poles lined up...with your Course over ground...
If you only look at the pole in front of you that you're steering to..you could be drifting out of the channel.

Having the clipboard next to you..is helpful..because the channel zig zags all over the place.....you could find yourself steering toward a mark that is beyond a turn...so don't skip marks in your plotting..or think that you can cut a corner.
When you look at the chart you'll see what I mean....

The bridges are easy...just call them on the radio, request an opening and stand by..make sure you get a response...wait until it's fully open.

Here's the latest weather...National Weather Service Marine Forecast

yeah...2 days is a lot longer than 2 to 3 hours...I wouldn't mind doing this trip..for you on a couple of week days...BB is great in the fall during the week..it's empty!
My weekends are booked...or I'd offer to help this weekend..
Old 27-09-2011, 18:02   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGo View Post
It's about 30 miles from Toms River to the Little Egg Harbor inlet, and another roughly 30 miles from the Little Egg Harbor inlet to Ocean City, _if_ I take the ocean side. I haven't measured the distance if I take the ICW. The two things that bother me about the ICW route are the bridges and the longer ride. But maybe I'm overthinking the ICW route too much.

BTW, I'm still looking into the trailers; don't think I've given up on them! Just trying to make sure I have all bases covered.
I wouldnt worry much about the bridges, although I havent been through those particular ones. They seem to open up pretty fast and once you get the timing right it seems to work out and is kind of fun! New boat, in the ocean, 25 ft, in october...? I wouldnt.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 18:24   #26

Chris...nice boat BTW.....you don't see many Giles on the east coast...
Old 27-09-2011, 18:32   #27

Tempest, be careful what you wish for! I was actually thinking a departure next Thursday might make more sense. I need to check my work calendar, and see what the seller says about how quickly he wants it sold.

I did find a trailer. It will need to be modified to work with the Catalina. Once done, it would be a good "home" for the boat. I wonder if I can find someone in this area who could do the modifications for a reasonable fee.
Old 27-09-2011, 18:47   #28

Jim Go...well..next thurs/fri could actually work for me. I teach a class on tuesdays and wednesdays..( not sailing related) ..so let me know..what you end up doing..you can pm me.

Tags
charts